1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned A Song of Ice and Fires That Weren't All My Fault by Puzzle - ASOIAF/Dresden

Discussion in 'Dresden Files' started by Rhys, May 14, 2015.

1. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Title: A Song of Ice and Fires That Weren't All My Fault
    Author: Puzzle
    Rating: Unrated (T-ish)
    Genre: Action / Slice of Life
    Fandoms: A Song of Ice and Fire / The Dresden Files
    Pairings: None Yet
    Summary: Our friendly neighborhood wizard along with his daughter are thrown from the top of Chichen Itza into Braavos of the Hundred Isles. That was two years ago, now after struggling out of the gutter Harry is back on his feet and his luck is coming back.
    Link: http://forums.spacebattles.com/thre...ent-all-my-fault-asoiaf-dresden-files.336499/

https://archiveofourown.org/works/7551730/chapters/17185231

This has been quite the crossover so far, bringing to the table a wonderfully in character and enjoyable Harry Dresden and the vibrant setting of Planetos in the time of Robert's rule. Dresden is dumped into the ASOI&F setting with his daughter in tow, and does all sorts of interesting things. We see him inventing magical stuff, spreading modern knowledge, and setting things on fire, all while solving mysteries and being annoyed in the usual Dresden fashion.

The fic weighs in at 30 chapters of ~2k words each at the moment, and is updating at the fierce pace of about 1/day. I don't know of anywhere it's being posted other than Spacebattles, but those who want to skip the comments there are advised to just use the arrows to navigate chapter-to-chapter.

This is quite good, and I feel like its an inventive taste both of a Harry in a position we don't usually see in fanfics (defending/providing father) and a setting in Planetos that doesn't get a ton of play either (Braavos). The detail work is really excellent here, and the subject matter of the fic covers a lot of different bases.

This one gets a solid 5/5 from me.

Last update: Sep 3, 2017
    Marked Abandoned for now.
    Added AO3 link. -- Zombie

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2019
  2. S1234567890m

S1234567890m Third Year

I read to about the part where he is warned off by the Sea King fellow, but there is something offputting in the way they write, I can't put my finger on it but it makes it difficult to keep reading.

3/5

3. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Haven't read it but does it get Dresdens voice right?

4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Mostly. Dresden's attitude, behavior, and mannerisms are captured quite well, but it doesn't quite manage to capture the voice perfectly. There's several small bits of word choice and the like that don't quite seem right to me. It's close enough, though, that with everything else, I'm more than willing to overlook it.

5. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'm a half dozen chapters in, and I don't really like it. The mixing of the worlds isn't really working too well, and all the Earth-references just don't really feel like they belong in a story set in Westoros. It's a pretty boring/lazy way to try and exploit the already annoying pop culture reference dropping that Butcher is all too keen to keep shoving down our throats, to make Dresden feel in character. I haven't seen any "Stars and Stones" or "Hell's Bells" dropped yet, so that's something.

Also, I'm not sure why the Author specifically chose to use Dad!Dresden, but I've found Maggie's presence to be completely arbitrary. It's clear that she's probably only going to be there for Reasons and Drama, and I don't see the point of that at all. Would have been just as easy for Dresden to be in the world by himself.

I don't mind the plot itself too much. It's something mostly AU and beyond the normal divergence/rehash stuff that we normally see, so at least it has that going for it.

6. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

So it turns out that inventing those compasses before the Greyjoys were defeated has lead to a much worse Greyjoy rebellion.

7. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I'm very interested in where author will go with this after the 31th chapter.

I will not hold my breath tho for the update this time. Because now that actual content is up it'll either make or break the writer.

That Harry with the mantle murder spree was nice.

8. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's a 5 for me.

I'm no Dresden purist. I couldn't care less how true the story or the characters are to canon DF. I've a thing for characters going 'back in time' and introducing tech way ahead of its time. I also love the daddy/daughter aspect.

I'm not Harry's biggest fan in general. He's a bit too 'Jedi' for my liking. Adding his daughter into the mix like she's something more than a happy accident and making him be a father? I really, really like that.

The Dresden that'll show up when Maggie is threatened? That's the Dresden I want to see.

Oh, and I also want to see Sue 2.0 with all dem Dragon Bones under the Red Keep.

I've never like the whole 'magic warps the user but killing with a sword is somehow different' thing, but that's canon. Can't really complain when the author pulls from source material.

9. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I've read it. Easily 4/5 from me. The only thing keeping it from a 5 is the long drag on some elements. I feel like sometime some of the chapter don't bring anything new to the table? Every chapter should have a plot point, it should move the plot along its path. I feel like the author has a couple of chapters which do not and drag the story a bit too much.

I have a question though, is there a way to know when the author update that story?

10. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

You can watch the thread and while I don't know about email updates, the alert on the Space Battles site will differentiate between a regular poster and the OP making a post, it also will say how many words the OP post has if its long enough, around a couple hundred words and up.

You will end up with alert for both posts rather than just the first post you haven't read yet.

11. Gengar

High Score:
    I get chapter updates via email now. Pretty awesome.

12. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

This.

By making Harry a father, it also gives a good reason why he's not overtly running around sticking his nose into everyone's business.

Surprisingly, I really liked how the story starts at a pretty low level of tension. Most crossovers like this start off at a high point - the shock, tension and big plot events that happen as a character finds themselves in another universe. This story starts more like a typical Dresden book - a day in the life of Harry Dresden in Braavos and builds from there with more and more big events happening.

I like how he's only really skimmed the surface of the main ASOIAF plot. He's had very little interaction with the main characters, and only in the latest chapter has his influence become apparent on the events we're still only vaguely familiar with. We're introduced to new characters, new events and new plot - not just rehashing over alternate takes on what has already been done to death.

Harry Dresden's voice is a bit more reminiscent of the earlier books in my opinion and toned down to where he gets later on. By that I mean he's less over the top with his internal jokes in serious situations and also seems less self-righteous overall. I imagine that's fatherhood for him.

I also really like the way his magic is interacting with the limited magic of the ASOIAF world.

From the interactions with Qaithe, to the Weirwood recognising the Winter Mantle as something related to the Others beyond the Wall, Dresden's magic certainly seems to be seen pretty negatively by any of the local magic users. It makes me really interested to see what will happen when he does first meet an Other.

Update rate is fantastic and dat title.

4/5. Probably one of the few decent ASOIAF crossovers I've come across.

13. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Awesome fic, I read it all in one go and I'd say it can even compete against the other great ASOIF crossover (Black Prince) albeit in different genres. Anyhow, Dresden feels like Dresden and bringing Maggie along is what made it for me. Daddy!Dresden feels legit and not to mention this is at the end of... Turn Coat? So another one coming up for daddy.

I also like how he blended the lore of DF to ASOIF. I feel like it could possibly happen. I can't wait for the day when Mab shows up again to go get her hitman.

14. StrawberryPingu

StrawberryPingu Second Year

Having only a passing familiarity with both fandoms, I decided to give this a whirl, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Read the whole thing in one sitting. Easily a 4/5 for me.

15. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Read that a week or so ago. I thought it was okay, not exceptional. The main character bringing technology in a low fantasy medieval setting isn't something that appeals to me, so I was ambivalent. I'd have said it was a 3/5 then.

Then the last updates really picked up, what with the Greyjoys using Dresden's compasses to stage multiple surprise attacks against Westeros's fleets.

Dresden is in character, and even though Maggie felt like a prop at the beginning, the author is fleshing her out more and more these last few chapters.
    And for once, Viserys isn't a little bitch.

All in all, good writing, interesting plot and coherent blending of the ASOIAF/DF worlds.

4/5

16. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

It's.... Okay.

The writing is solid, for the most part, but it's not really engaging. The plot has mostly been enjoyable, even if it's dragged in places. Characterizations are done well enough, though everyone feels just a little off to me. My biggest complaint is the black and white interpretation of Dresdenverse magic, and the idea that not obeying the Laws to the letter results in spontaneous insanity. It wasn't a huge issue for most of the story, but I found it pretty cringe-worthy in the Ironborn arc.

3/5 from me, so far.

17. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

And once again a Lannister proves how dumb they are.

18. Gengar

High Score:
    I enjoyed that. Especially after the compass fiasco.

19. StrawberryPingu

StrawberryPingu Second Year

And now we've got ourselves a dragon. XD
    Another chapter not even 12 hours after the last one. I'm so afraid that either the story is going to go to shit because he's not putting enough time to plan things out properly, or that the author is going to burn himself out by writing so much so frequently. So far though, he seems to have stuff well enough in hand. And as a reader, I can't say that I don't enjoy this update rate. XD

20. Gengar

High Score:
    I find it incredibly hard to believe this all isn't written mostly already. Not with the update speed.