1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Soul Bond Variation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pfeil, Sep 28, 2008.

1. pfeil

pfeil First Year

Well, Harry was pining over Cho in GoF at 14, and girls mature faster, so...

2. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

I think that a lot of young teens do much more of 'interesting' things than many of us would like to pretend.

Sometimes it's better not to know.

3. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I know someone who had his first threesum at thirteen.

Youthful sex isn't that rare. That said, I don't really want to read a fic about it.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Because Harry is doing more than just controlling Ginny in this method. He is her as far as bodily perceptions are concerned. One mind, two distinct bodies. Harry would at all times be feeling two sets of sensations (e.g two areas of vision). It would definitely make for interesting writing/reading, since Harry's very sense of self would be split between two physical locations. He literally is able to be in two places at once.

Harry then wanting to expand this could be the next stage. Taking over more bodies such that he is pretty much becoming a kind of god - his existence no longer relies on any single body, but rather he is an essentially disembodied entity which spans many physical locations.

Harry then learning to use the bodies for other purposes could be interesting too. If you think of a brain like a computer, and the fact that Harry's self is inhabiting several brains, he could then be getting smarter each time he adds a new brain to his collection of bodies. How he "networks" all the different brains to maximise processing power could be interesting.

Then you have the added element of him trying to keep it all a secret as he's discovering it/starting out, plus the moral struggle involved for him - Harry is essentially a very "good" person at the end of CoS, and it'd take some doing turning him from this. Luckily for the plot, he'd have a hell of a lot of temptations. But just him keeping it a secret would he an interesting opening to the fic - if his conciousness is split between the two bodies, I should imagine that when he wants to raise his hand, both bodies will do so. It'd be a race against the clock (or rather, against people disocovering what is happening) for him to figure out how to make the two bodies do seperate things while being inhabited by the one mind.

So yeah, with a bit of imagination there's a lot you could do with this.

5. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

That was basically my point. I just don't want to know or read it.

6. pfeil

pfeil First Year

I suppose he's lucky that it's summer, then. He can sluff off Ginny being weird as residual effects from Tom. (Which is, in a way, completely truthful, if obviously misleading.)

I do like the idea of him gathering more bodies; That could be quite fun. Any good ideas for mechanisms for that? More horcruxes would work, I suppose, though the diary was the strongest one and even Gin-slut could fight it reasonably successfully for rather a while. The only obvious one I can think of would be Hermione, after she was carrying the locket around in DH. Not that that's a reasonable choice, since the book is crap and would require far too much (half-baked) plot that's better ignored.

7. Skeletaure

High Score:
    What?

Also, I'm sure an author could come up with some bullshit mechanism that sounded plausible. It is magic, after all. The author can stipulate the rules, so long as they're consistent with what we've observed in canon.

8. pfeil

pfeil First Year

Well, if they split his soul in half, the diary was the first one, so had 50% of a soul. The next only had 25%, and so on.

I suppose that could be useful if he wanted an advisor, though that's getting dangerously close to RotaryFile harem-bonds :eek:

I'm not sure "consistent" and "canon" are possible simultaneously...

9. Skeletaure

High Score:
    That there's your problem. Never stated in canon, as far as I can remember, though my HBP and DH canon isn't as good as my PS-OOTP knowledge. All that is said is that the soul is split. Nothing about halves, not even whether or not numerical value can be ascribed to the idea of the soul (it is, after all, non-physical).

10. pfeil

pfeil First Year

*shrug*

For any consistent fraction, the later ones will hold "less soul" that the earlier.

I figure that there has to be some sort of loss involved, or else there's no downside, which would make them too powerful.

11. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Unless Voldemort planned for the future and, knowing that he was going to make 7, made it so that rather than having less in each one, he spread it evenly.

12. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Also, a soul is hardly a cake you can split in halves. Think of the horcruxes as 'anchors' for the soul.

Also, I find Taure's idea to be of great value.

13. Pieman

Pieman Seventh Year

I like the idea. Voldemort has horcruxes, Harry has more bodies. I would enjoy this as an anti-hero story, with this being the catalyst for Harry deciding to steal bodies. He tries a horcrux variation to recreate the Ginny scenario, and take over the conciousness of other bodies. The power Voldemort doesn't know? A blatant "I HAVE A SHIT TONNE OF BODIES," instead of the open ended emotion bullshit ones.

The thing I'd enjoy most would be action scenes, two or more bodies acting in unison? Every fight in the fic would be like the Pain-Jiraiya fight. Epic.

14. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Hmm, if Ginny's 'partial soul' leaves her open to takeover from Harry, why the hell doesn't he take over Voldemort as well? He certainly doesn't have any more soul than this particular incarnation of Ginny would.

15. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Ahh the possibilities...
    He could use Voldemort as a threat to manipulate people and keep them scared. Then he could take over by reviling the prophesy (or the half Voldemort knows) and set himself up as king and savior of magical Britain.

Also would each new body effect his personality?

16. Skeletaure

High Score:
    This can easily be got around by saying Ginny wasn't left with a partial soul, but no soul. There's a link between Ginny's body and Riddle, who is sucking the life (or rather soul) out of her; there is a link between Riddle and Harry in the moment Harry destroys the diary (contact with the diary puts your soul in contact with the soul fragment in the Diary). You could also say the scar is a connection to Riddle: even though it was made after the diary horcrux, they're still pieces of the same soul.

So Harry has a link to Ginny's soul through the proxy of Riddle. When Ginny and Riddle's souls are both extinguished by the destruction of the diary, Harry's soul is dragged along for the ride and ends up filling the gap.

Or something.

17. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Hmmm, it sound like my first thoughts on this idea were a bit more perverted than necessary.

Puppet Master! Harry could definitely be interesting, if executed well. I'd read it without hesitation.

18. pfeil

pfeil First Year

Harry was near by very soon after Ginny's "soul" shrunk. He's not, however, in the habit of hugging Tom after Tom creates Horcruxes :p

Taure's explanation works too, of course.

19. TwilightAmbition

TwilightAmbition First Year

This is evolving into one of the most unique ideas I've come across in a while (Sure Pain did it first, but I'm thinking from an HP point of view).

So.... who's going to write it?

20. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Uh...Not it.

As for a corrupting influence, as to why puppet master! Harry could be possible, I know the idea of merging souls is rather cliche by now but I'd think it's the most likely way Harry would get any more evil immediately. Not like a total soul merger, but just like a small taint. Just enough to get Harry to want to see how far he could go with his new body, maybe even make it temporary and his soul reverts to normal after like a few days.