1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Staff!

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sepanto, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

I wanna make harry create a staff in my story, would it be too cliche?
    Tnx

2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

yes

3. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I think a staff may be a bit too cliche.

Perhaps a spell casting dildo would work in its place.

4. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

What weapon does pass?
    a sword is seen in every-bloody-fanfic.
    Daggers are nice, yetalso very common?\
    Staff is quite rare, yet you think sux.
    Maybe a gun with enchanted bullets?
    Bow?
    a pen enchanted with cruciatus to whomever touches it?

5. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

They aren't rare.

Merde!

Maybe, if you can fit in how Harry managed to master archery. I have a bow, and dude, those things take forever to get good enough not to worry about shooting your sister with. Bows are too hard to use, they're not practical. That's why Europeans swiched to muskets.

How would Harry write with it?

For a weapon, I'd say either invent something relatively new (like Second Chance at Life's golden gloves) or just stick with a wand.

Or give him a robotic arm that shoots lazers. That never gets old.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What does "Merde" Means?
    and show me a fanfic with a staff! a pen enchanted with cruciatus means that he leaves it lying aroudn and whoever touche it is curciated!

7. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

What do you mean show you a fanfic with a staff? Have you ever read a super powered harry fanfic? Just about all of those have Harry getting a staff or have his wand have the capability to turn into a staff

8. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

i have seen uptill now a SINGLE ff in which harry got a staff, you all speak of it, please link me.

9. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Harry's relief by pen-paper-action
    The elemental one where harry is trained by merlin... he nmeshis staff Herm or hermy or something like that... nearly nine dozen other super-harry fics... throw a knife and youre garunteed to hit three or four dozen...

10. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

They're not shitting you, look for super Harry, or search Harry + elemental. They'll almost all have staffs.

Write what you want to, but you did ask the opinion, and the consensus is.. omfgnohedidn'tjustsaythat.

A bow might work, but overall anything that'd take that long to draw, aim, fire, and the target's apparated away, shielded, disarmed you, or something else

11. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

That story with him being trained by Merlin and having his staff named Hermy made me laugh. It was so stupid!

12. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

God, please don't mention that utter fucked up story.

She thinks it's cute, its pathetic and stalkerish. Then he gives her some of his power and SHE becomes all strong and annoying, yet does dick about the evil ppl.

13. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I didnt get that far I dont think. It was only up to the part where he just returned. Anyway, that ice broom thingy he made was gehy! I nearly headbutted the screen when I saw that.

14. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Yes...that story was pathetic. As are many of the "staff" stories. Few manage to even get near good, though a few are. They're everywhere in Super!Harry stories, though I suppose it makes sense if he's really powerful, even though it's cliche. Maybe in EoH I'll have him try to channel a bunch of magic (powered by a few of the 12 spirits of Druidic Mages) and have his wand nearly explode on him, prompting him to modify them to be more efficient and channel more energy.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

can someone please LINK ME to stories with staff.

16. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Harry Potter and the Phoenix Staff

Harry Potter will become and Elemental and leave the Dursleys forever. He has become much more powerful and learns to use the Phoenix Staff that Dumbledore has given him.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1638885/1/

Wizarding for Dummies

SPOILERS FOR BOOK 5! After his fifth term at Hogwarts, Harry begins to learn more of his past, and what he is becoming. A staff, a bite from a clown doll, and new powers. I have a little trouble with plots...kindof like Matrix Revolution. Has been edited!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1510555/1/

Harry Potter and the Staff of the Phoenix

Harry is feeling a sudden outburst of magical energy. Adding to that wierd thing, he receives a staff in the middle of the night which has ancient writing on it which no one can see but Harry. Please R/R.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/838841/1/

There. Three of them I was able to pick out of the search engine just by the titles and summaries alone and I was not searching strenuously. And you know when there is a couple who advertise it that there is another hundred who have it somewhere in their story, I know I have read many more but they are usually crappy so I don't alert it and nothing in them are memorable enough for me to remember their names.

17. Rob

Rob Looked into the void

Bobmin's Sunset over Britain has one too, yeah, staffs are pretty common.

18. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

the problem i find with staff fics are that they're used by HORRIBLE authors as an excuse to give him more magic. I use staffs because I like the imagery, not to say that I have harry use his staff for every little summoning charm of course, that gets kind of redundant when he apparantly has so much power that he needs a staff...

19. RagefulLlama

RagefulLlama Seventh Year

Staffs are actually pretty common I just don't want to dig through my favourites where I save all the FF I read. The new 'staff' Is a multicored wand so you better be hopping on that bandwagon if you want to do something like that. I would personally make like a ritual that magically (duh) increases the compatibilty and modifies the wands inert magic enough so it is no longer Voldemorts brother or something similar. Don't fix what ain't broken and I personally dislike most multi wand/staff stories for the exception of the stories by SilverAegis and that is just because he's one of my favourite FF.Net writers so he gets a certain amount of leeway.