1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Study in Magic by Vixit - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Styx0444, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Minor spoilers wouldn't be a big deal hexo, but I agree that a spoiler that big (in the context of this story at least) should be put in spoiler tags. A lot of folks want to read the reviews before the story to see if it's the sort of thing they'd be interesting in reading it at all. In this case perhaps someone would be curious to see how similar this is to MoR, or if Sherlock was transported to the 20th Century, or if DLPers had any significant complaints, etc. before wasting their time on the story.

I usually read them to make sure there isn't going to be a Romance focus. Half the time the summary provided by the OP isn't enough so people read the reviews -- there's a reason we have spoiler tags.

So yeah. It shouldn't be hard to figure out what qualifies as a major spoiler and what doesn't.

Edit: Castiel -- I didn't see it implied either but I assumed I just missed something. Perhaps I didn't miss it and it's just not there.

2. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

:facepalm Reviews give a better perspective of a story. As Cheddar said, half the time the OP's summary isn't enough to judge by. The other half of the time, the OP is biased to start with - they recommended the story, therefore they think it's good. Hell, go look up the definition of what a review is, and then look up it's purpose.

@Castiel & CheddarTrek: As far as I remember, no relation. I'm pretty sure whoever said that misinterpreted the passages explaining why Dumbledore picked Holmes over Harry's relatives.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I personally don't give a fuck about spoilers -- especially as I read the end of a FF first more often than not. However, apparently other people do. So stop being dicks, hexo and Stormey.

New Common Sense Rule: As long as a story is in the Review Board, use spoiler tags if you talk about a fucking gigantic spoiler. That's why we have them. Just use common sense, folks -- don't go putting entire posts in spoilers now. You are all intelligent enough to see the difference between xyz dies and What the fuck, Harry owns half of Gringotts, even if both state facts from a story.

This rule doesn't apply once the thread is moved. Everything in the Library is spoilerific by default.

4. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Methinks one doesn't comprehend the concept of a spoiler-free review.

5. xvector

xvector Second Year

Amazing.

I hate to necro threads, but I just finished reading. The writing was exquisite - it left me in awe, very top-notch. Plot was very well executed. I was always looking forward to what was going to happen next, and it was not canon rehash or predictable in any way beforehand.

It was a breath of fresh air, to say the least. And it deserves far more attention, because the sheer amount of detail you can feel behind each character makes you feel a physical, emotional connection to them by the end.