1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A super wizard Harry

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Rache, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Hello DLP.

Is there any readable story in the HP fandom where Harry finishes his education after DH, travels around the world learning different 'magicks' and returns to Britain as a 'super wizard' at the age of like 30 or 35 instead of settling for mediocrity.

Note: If Ginny is dead in that story, if one exists, cheers to the author.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012
  2. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Hmm...No replies? I know that the concept is a rarity, but isn't there even one story you can think of? Perhaps I should start writing one with this idea.

3. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Wastelands of Time sort of fits the bill. Harry is older, and more experienced with several different magicks. And he is fairly super. And I actually have no idea what happens to Ginny. The only problem is that its not really post DH.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  4. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Browncoat, Green eyes kinda does that thing, too. But let's face it, people rarely manage Super!Harry without it being an utter fail.

5. Rache

Rache Headmaster

I read this H/Hr story where there is another Dark Lord who is the grandson of the infamous Gellert Grindelwald. Harry, while isn't super, isn't a pussy either. But the climax really disappointed me. When I said Super! Harry, I meant a Harry with the capacity to challenge Dumbledore or Voldemort. No a wizard who blasts Albus and Tom with nary a flick of wand.

As for Wastelands, it's my favorite time-travel story. It's a pity it's sequel's update rate is too slow.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's a common story element, but it's always a) backstory briefly summarised in the first chapter and b) done badly.

7. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Many stories have elements such as the ones you describe, enough so that the "Super!Harry" thing is more often fodder for parody nowadays.

Some additional suggestions, however: Nonjon's A Black Comedy. If you relax the age bit, then Blot's Make a Wish. Lots of Peggy Sue stories (e.g., this or this). Shezza's Denarian series has Harry learning more than one powerful magical system. If you relax the "travel the world" requirement, then Master of Death stories work, such as this one.

8. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Make A Wish probably fits the requirements exactly. Harry/Henchgirl OTP. I don't remember Harry's age (definitely post Hogwarts though) and can't remember anything about Ginny.

9. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Didn't that series end up being Harry/Kara - you know, in TJ?

10. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Did that ever get continued? I cbf to check on the yahoo groups.

11. Sirius Issues

Sirius Issues First Year

12. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

Not yet.

It's not dead, but I can hear the beginnings of a 'death rattle'.

13. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Ginny being alive is enough info for me to avoid the story. My middle finger to all those who feel Harry and Ginny are made for each other. Still, I managed to read slash in Firephoenix's stories. Maybe I'll try it out. Thank you for your suggestions.

---------- Post automerged at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

As for 'Make a Wish', it's a very good read. However, I face palmed when Harry turned into a human/werewolf/vampire hybrid. Still, I loved Mr.Black and his adventures.

4/5- A point deducted for a lack of final pairing and Harry becoming vamp-wolf.

14. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

That would be Terminal Justice, which is based on Make a Wish, but is not Make a Wish.

The primary differences being that TJ is a DC crossover while MaW isn't, and that the latter features a Harry who is constantly mistaken for other people, while the former seems the same, until you discover he almost certainly really IS all those people he's been mistaken for.

And, yes, it would be nice to see it continued.