1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Surreal Tale by E. M. Pink - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ghst.san, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Litha Riddle

Litha Riddle Banned DLP Supporter

In Britain most of the people you see begging in the street are actually users, either drugs or alcohol so therefore have no compunction when it comes to begging. I was homeless and never begged/stole a thing. I had to deal with freezing weather and potential rapists. Not all homeless people beg, the ones you mostly see are there through there own vices or lack of personal control. I however chose to work my way into a life and now live with my dignity.
    Pride may not mean much when you have a nice house and a pocket full of cash, when you don't pride is the only thing you own.
    The point of my post was to say that when you are running from people that left you for dead (imagine a victim of domestic violence) you'll do anything to survive.
    To Slytherins personal survival is the most important, followed by ambition. Also if it was that easy to wave a wand a get food etc, why was Sirius forced to eat rats in GoF. Why was someone as powerful as Tom Riddle living in a skanky old house when he could get money by AK-ing someone for their money. Also you can't create gold from transfiguration otherwise why would a Philosophers stone be so precious.

Everyone is entitled to there opinions and I think so far this story is refreshingly original. Unusual pairings (even though Snape is squicky), believable characters (that are not 2-D and stale), an original approach to a Poor Slytherin Harry, plus no sign of the weasel brood or friendship with the mudblood and Ferret. Also it's cool having Quirrel/Voldemort influencing him. This has the makings of a believable Dark Harry story. Also nothing makes you hate society than having poor yobs like Weasley looking down on you. You have to remember that Tom Riddle was mocked at the beginning and look where he got.
    Have a little patience because 11yr olds really want to destroy the world, it's usually around puberty that you realise how shite the world is and that it needs stirring up.

L R
    Oh and bitch slap me again and I will be forced to get my tenderiser:whipped:

2. E. M. Pink

E. M. Pink First Year

Frigging word, man, especially with what you said about how stories should challenge your view of things. I have the feeling that every fan community or forum has some kind of written or unwritten code of canon and how they interpret it, and god forbid anyone try something else. So, people here at DLP approve of Harry because he swears and generally doesn't care what people think of him and so on, but they disapprove of him because he has weaknesses - which, may I point out, was the point of me writing this story in the first place. Out of all the Slytherin!Harry stories I've read, only a few don't paint Harry as someone who's always strong/always knows what to do/never afraid, ad nauseum. First and foremost, that's what I'm trying to do. You may not like his weaknesses or problems, but that's your opinion.

And I'm still sort of wondering why no one seems to understand that it's in Bella's best interest to lay low. Yes, she could go around killing people and committing crimes to stay comfortable. Why she doesn't is because it's a surefire way to a)get on the bad - no, on the worse side of the Ministry and be firmly in danger of being sent off to Azkaban, and b)attracting the (quite likely to be fatal) notice of people like Malfoy and her other former associates. Whom she betrayed. As unwise as Bella has been, she's not that stupid.

The ghost issue, again. Does the ghost that I SPECIFICALLY CHOSE to frighten Antares mean anything to you? I seem to recall choosing the Bloody Baron, who even Peeves doesn't want to cross. And bear in mind that this isn't the, er, 'normal' Bloody Baron that was picking on Antares at that point in time; no, it was the Bloody Baron full of righteous pureblood indignation at what he percieved as slander of the worst kind against one of the wizarding world's most illustrious pureblood familes, the disgrace of which probably still infuriates him. It stands to reason that Antares would be at least a little alarmed by the Bloody Baron in the first place (like any of the other children at Hogwarts, if I might add), and that that alarm would increase proportionally in relation to the Baron's current temper. And, also, you keep taking that whole bit out of context too - Antares had just gotten to Hogwarts by, as he saw it, the skin of his teeth. To have someone blatantly attack him in a place where he was already nervous and uncomfortable would have tipped things further towards hysteria.

If Harry had faced the same situation in canon, he'd have been upset too, but not half as upset as Antares, because the context of his experiences would be different. Harry waltzed into Hogwarts and pretty much carried everyone and everything before him; Antares slunk in and perhaps almost failed the written Apprenticeship tests, and succeeded mostly because of his magical ability, Severus' manoevring and possibly even Dumbledore's desire to get Bella on his side. There's a difference, see - that's why Harry wasn't too bothered about Snape's blatant hatred to start with where Antares would probably have been very bothered indeed if one of his teachers just seemed to hate his guts.

And on the 'but Harry grew up so tough!!!!1!' issue - yes, he did grow up tough, and able to deal with situations that routinely came up in his tough life. He sorted the Blaise issue (and, by the way, Blaise was not going to be killed in the street. Wounded, yeah, but not killed - if Knockturn Alley had a child murder every so often in broad daylight, the Ministry would close it down, for crying out loud. And also, it takes a lot more than a hard crack to the head to kill a wizard, as is mentioned in canon) because, as he actually mentioned earlier in that same chapter, it happened regularly, and he'd probably dealt with it before if it was getting out of hand.

3. razz

razz Seventh Year

Ouch. People are getting a bit too touchy with this, I think. Honestly, I don't see what all the fuss is about - 'AST' is one of my all time favourites.

There are issues, of course, but I can't see how these could possibly warrant the flack that's being thrown about. The positives far outweigh any cons! I really don't think E. M. Pink is getting the credit here she deserves, and that really shits me.

I like that E. M's trying to keep it realistic, giving finer details proper thought and depth. It seems to me like the plot has been well planned, well thought out. I like that Antares isn't perfect, that he does have faults. I can live with Bella being poor - and the reasoning behind this does make sense.

All fics contains similar aspects that not every reader will enjoy - it's impossible to please everyone.

Give her a fucking break.

4. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

*shrugs* I don't think anyone was really trying to insult her. It's obvious she's a really good writer and this fic probably appeals to quite a lot of people. There are just certain parts that make it extremely annyoing for most DLP fans. For instance, her Harry, instead of being a sneaky cold hearted thief with a talent for causing trouble, is the timid kindhearted street rat who is really a cuddley little child who needs love. Most of us here don't like that. It seems like the author is trying to add too much character conflict and angst where there shouldn't be any. Not to mention the fact that Harry spends the entire story getting insulted by Malfoy, getting embaressed and doing nothing back looking like an absolute wuss. This fic, while written better then most, still has all the little prerequisites of typical fangirl bullshit. With ColdButTimid!Harry, Witty!Draco, FatherlySnarky!Snape, etc. Granted, it's not in excess and it's subtle, but it's got all the same bullshit those other fics have. And I don't even want to mention the fact that fucking Snivellus is shagging Harry's mom. Sure, she is Bellatrix, but the very idea that that greasy fucking bastard is getting it on with the person who raised Harry makes me want to spend the rest of my life in the shower. Especially how the entire 11th chapter is nothing but Snivellus shagging Bella and Bella thinking about how much she loves him.

It's not a bad fic, as I said, it's got some good ideas, it's written well, and it's entertaining and interesting for the most part, I give the author props for it, it's just that its got alotta bullshit most of us don't like.

5. E. M. Pink

E. M. Pink First Year

I (unsurprisingly) disagree. With the 'cuddley little child' thing, to be exact. Antares, to me, seems like a fairly normal kid that likes to steal things and play around with hexes. So far, he's appropriated an Invisibility Cloak of dubious origin, then conspired with his friends to learn a dubious method of keeping his thoughts about the cloak secret, as well as recruited the help of a dubious teacher to help him learn the above method using rather illegal techniques. Cuddly, much? And if he needs love, it's probably of the tough authoritarian variety.

Right, now I understand. I suppose this is one of the drawbacks of fandom - no matter what tropes you try to write against or what new trail you try to blaze, you get accused of being a fangirl. With your fics being accused of containing fangirl bullshit, steryotyped characters and other things I'm not quite sure are actually part of my fic...but I digress. I do admit to FatherlySnarky!Severus in small doses, but would humbly like to point out that the FatherlySnarky variety is more likely to snark harmlessly in one's direction instead of calling your sometime associate and/or friend a highly insulting racial slur and telling you you're an idiot and a fool and don't belong among your peers. Witty!Draco I'm not sure I understand (the most exotic insults so far have gone to Severus out of necessity), and ColdbutTimid!Harry...? The same boy that's willing to try to decieve two men, one he knows to be a former Death Eater with fairly lax morals, in order to keep his hands on a priceless Invisibility Cloak that he recieved one day out of the blue? The same boy willing to take on a Troll, no question, just on the possibility that one of his house mates might have been in danger? Er, no.

So Severus/Bellatrix squicks you. And that is my problem...how? I specifically warned readers that this was going to include a reasonable amount of that ship - how did this warning pass you by? And if you ignored it, why did you do so? I don't warn readers for my personal, vindictive entertainment, you know - like most authors, I grasp greedily at any extra reader I can cajole into reading my stuff. I fail to see how that would have me putting up bogus warnings in my A/Ns, sorry.
    And small correction - throughout Chapter 11, Bella was thinking about how much she wanted to screw Severus, as well as musing over whether their relationship might be serious or not. Ergo, not her wondering how she could count the ways she loved his greasy hair.

Excuse me? Please to be informing me where I added those. I mean, I did think that I was trying to keep unnecessary angst out of my story, but of course, you know better what my motives are - go ahead.

(I really did have too much fun replying to this -_-)

6. TheIllusiveOne

I wasn't trying to insult/argue/show up you, merely pointing out why I (and probably others here) didn't like your story. It's my opinion about how I viewed certain actions in your fic. No need to get defensive, I wasn't saying I could do better, as I probably can't, merely that there were certain parts I didn't like, that was how I percieved it. I wasn't calling you a fan girl, really, just certain plot points sorta lead that.

7. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Actually, I still think this story is very good. I don't think there's much fangirlism here... Well, ok, there's your standard fascination with Snape, but he stayed largly in character, so that's OK I guess.

My main peeve regarding this story is the author's tendency to chose infusion angst and hardship, on the cost of realism and plot integrity. There are numerous examples of this tendency:

- Bella not casting magic or living in the muggle world...
    ...so she could freeze her arse off and beg for food.

- Bella teaching Harry complex pureblood customs, but not how to read and write...
    ... so Harry would feel out of place at Hogwarts.

- Daphne’s sister's magic getting mirraculously stripped on the long distance...
    ... so Daphne would feel anguish and Harry would get himself in trouble

etc...

There are many things like this throughout the story. The angst just feels artificially pumped in, making Harry's time at Hogwarts and Bella's life in poverty harder than it seems logical to me.

Other than that, it's a rather enjoyable story. True, I got stuck at that heavy Snape/Bella chapter, but one of these days I'll force myself through it and keep following the story.

8. Litha Riddle

I don't think the fascination with snape is any more fangirlism, than being fascinated with Lily potter is fanboyism.
    All the characters appeal to us otherwise we'd not read as far as HBP.

Making them into the actors is fangirl/boyism to me.

Snape is not Alan Rickman.

I like this story because for once the characters behave like themselves. Also the characters aren't made into super gorgeous people.

They are honestly portrayed as the nasty humans they are, and I ike that.
    If a character was perfect we'd be complaining it was unreal.

I think the faults make them believable.
    Usually I hate pairings of all kinds because it seems to spoil the story.
    In this fic it adds to the characters depth.

Please don't take these comments personally, we just have different tastes.
    I like to think that encouraging original writers is more important, than getting my favorite pairing.

Litha

P.s I hope no one takes it personally but incest makes me squeamish, but alot seem to go for Harry shagging his mum. Just because it's not a pairing you like doesn't make it unworthy to read.

9. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Fascination with Lily Potter IS fanboyism IMO.

10. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

Yes, fascination with LP is fanboyisme.

It is strange, because myself I put fascination with Snape right next to fascination with Ginny, Both are "omg theyyyyy are soooo Mysterious/Fiery/Hot/Dark." in my opinion. I can't remember a scene where Snape has shown a trace of humanity, while i can show lots where he is petty and works agaisnt the Order because of his arrogance (or pettiness or hate of people that live's aren't as bad), like when he suspect Quirrel but doesn't telll the staff (Mcgonagall had no idea), or when he doesn't want to let Harry pass the gargoyle when he says he has vital information.

Sorry for my rant.

11. Litha Riddle

I think I need to clarify my point due to misunderstanding.

I am very much isolated in my neighborhood. So I tend to look at social interaction, very much like looking at bugs under a microscope. I find people and there interaction fascinating, not because they are mysterious/hot/whatever.

I like to try to understand a persons character and motivations, that's why I find evil/people fascinating.
    I've never been interested in reading a story where all the characters are perfect. That's part of the reason I hate Herman so much.

The faults humans have make them more interesting, because humans can be nasty, cruel and vindictive.
    Even the nicest of people have reasons for doing what they do, and that's what creates the appeal.

For me this story keeps the characters as nasty as they should be, and not as super gorgeous people.
    I hate that people make Malfoy and Snape into redeemed characters, because they are truly disgusting humans.
    Please don't take offense but fascination does not mean attraction.
    Litha

P.s I think a rant from someone who staunchly supports Herman is very ironic.

12. TheIllusiveOne

Snape has never been portreyed as anything other then a petty, arrogant, ugly, averaged powered, asshole untill book six, and I guess he was a bit powerful in book 5 as well.

In book 1 he got his rocks off by picking on 11 year olds, he called Harry arrogant, yet he gave that pathetic speech to all the first years in the first potions class.. "I can teach you to bottle fame.. etc" and generally did nothing but try to intimidate Quirrell. He didn't even suceed in casting the counter jinx on Harry's broom, Hermione had to set fire to him and distract Quirrell.

In book 2, he beats Lockheart in the duel, using A SPOKEN SPELL! He does nothing to help find out what is petrifying the students, despite knowing Slytherin was a Parselmouth and any beast he had would be a snake. *snorts* So much for his famed logic that he used in book 1 on the task to get to the Stone.

In book 3, despite the fact that he is a 40 year old former death eater, and DADA expert, he gets mocked by a fucking map made by 15 year olds, and can't think of any spell to reveal it. And he gets knocked out by three 13 year olds in the Shrieking Shack.

In book 4, I don't really remember him doing anything.

Book 5 is when he became sorta powerful. Occulemency master, casting silent spells in the penesive at 15, etc. Although he still had to use an incantation for Legillemency.

But then, in fucking Book 6 JKR made him all suave with Narcissa and Bellatrix, she made him out to be some cunning genius, gave him all this amazing Legillimis power, allowing him to block the unforgivables before Harry can cast them, she had him inventing spells and potions, Jesus Christ, why don't you have him beating fucking Dumbledore in a duel, and Witch Weekly giving him the Most Eligible Bachelor award.

13. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

As I said, in GOF, Snape doesn't grant Harry access to Dumbledore's office when Crouch the elder appears in the forest.

I was not talking about you, and it is true i jumped the wagon too quickly. I can understand a fascination of those characters as long as it's not attraction, so i guess i owe you an apology. I do too hate Redeemed!Snape or Malfoy, and loving!Snape.

On the other hand, while i can understand this fascination- one of my favorite uncle is the same way- i do not share it, because i believe it can turn to obssessivness too quickly.

Ps: Ah! I can understand what you mean about Hermione, but please believe i don't like her being perfect. Few are the fics where i like her character, and in those...well, she isn't the same anymore.

PPs: I am not so good with my English, and i do try not to make too many mistakes, but I still have to apologise for those mistakes that make it through. EDITED

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  14. Zero

Zero Seventh Year

This fic rules. The Severus/Bellatrix is....highly irritating (I hope when Harry finds out he sticks a knife down his throat) but the the pros outweigh the cons a hundred times over.

15. Lucas13

Lucas13 Second Year

That not really boys fault... it has psicological explanation to it.. all of them want to marry theirs mothers and kill their fathers when they are children so a bit of that carries over to their adulthood.

A thing most of people here dont seems to get is: most people in this forum hate: slash, snape(even if he is okay once in a while), pussy!Harry(that even throught the author may not want to admit it Harry is a BIG pussy in this fic) and big plot holes.
    And about the whole conjuring gold thing: who says she needs to do that? She may not be able to do that but im sure she could transfigure muggle money or just accio it. It wouldnt get to the ministry cause its a regular spell and i doubt they would know if she did that.
    Oh and I dont live in Britain but I know that most beggars in my country could work if they really wanted to but they prefer to steal cause its a easier way to get money and they problably think its a way to get back at "higher society".
    I liked this fic in the beggining but Im one of the afore mentioneed people that dont like pussy!harry and all those other things so good luck with your fic.

PS:(to litha riddle) Do you read fics where the main pairing is Harry/Lily? Because you said you dont like it but also that this is no reason no read a fic.

16. Litha Riddle

Yes I've studied some psychology and therefore know of the oedipus complex. Which is an unconscious sexual desire a child has, for a parent of the opposite sex.
    I understand the desire but it doesn't mean I like to read about those desires being enacted. It's just something I'm uncomfortable with, somewhat similar to others aversion to slash fiction.

About what most people like. Well I joined this site because I was under the impression, that most members respect originality.
    Alot of Harry Potter fans like the Ginslut/Harry pairings, but that does not mean we should all conform. I was also under the impression this site is for independent Harry fans, or Harry centric fans.

About the currency thing. I'm sure the British government would want assurances from the ministry, about the issue of replicating currency. Otherwise I can't see my government agreeing to keep the wizarding world secret, if they wouldn't clamp down on any attempts at counterfeiting.

Also as I've already stated I was homeless and knew alot of the people.
    Read my earlier post for more on that, but I also work with my council in the social housing sector. Therefore I know alot about homelessness in Britain. In no way do the homeless try to get back at 'higher society', they are people who have been unlucky. Most of the people I knew were incapable of living on there own, let alone getting a job or getting sober.

I will usually read a fic for it's literary content and very rarely for ships. I've only read two good smut fic's, one by Vash and the other by Amerison.

I'm not a huge fan of romance or sexual description, but will read it if it's part of the story. I've tried my hand at writing and know how hard it is, therefore I get upset when people rag on an author which is original.

I'm sorry for the long post but felt I needed to defend my stance. Also I really like this story for it's originality and believable characters. I like to think that originality makes up for the pairings, and in my experience the homelessness Bella goes through is realistic.

Litha

p.s I'm really sorry for this long post I'll try and keep them as short as possible.

17. razz

razz Seventh Year

Huh!! I agree. ;)

This was just updated - and a very, very good chapter it was. Harry does some sneaking, some stealing, and we find he can speak Parselmouth. That's more to DLPerised tastes, I should think.