1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Year Like None Other by Aspen In The Sunlight - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Jun 6, 2005.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I just want to know a few things before considering reading this story:

Harry's character and his abilities.

Is he:

1) Wuss / crybaby?
    2) Weak / not powerful?
    3) Stupid / lazy in school / ignorant?
    4) Ultra angsty / constantly getting hurt?

I could take one of these, maybe even two (if a story is really, really good). But more than that - no thanks.

2. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I'd think in a story this long it's inevitable that he is occasionally all of those things.

The fic last I remember was all about Harry and Draco and Snape. Snape playing Daddy and Draco playing brother. I think Harry actually lost his magic and needed Draco to teach him how to use it all again, etc... Can't get much weaker than that. But then again, I've not read it. So I should probably leave that to the people who will heartily recommend the fic.

3. Piccaboo!

Piccaboo! Second Year

It varies along the chapters (as there's so many of them)
    As nonjon said he sorta has problems tapping into his magic after a muggle operation, which is - acording to aspen - dangerous for magical ppl to do. But his magic was always there - just in a different form and highly powerful but with setbacks.

He does get hurt and tortured and almost dies and he's a bit angasty too. Actually I can't remember very much for it was quite a long time since I read the earlier chapters but if you're bored - it's a good read.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Too long to start reading now. I dont want to read 300 000 words then get bored with it.

5. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Any story where Draco teachers Harry something, or beats Harry at something is just gay.

6. Piccaboo!

Piccaboo! Second Year

I said Draco tries to help - didn't say he did any good though.

7. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Couldn't agree with you more on the video. Gah that was a piece of crap because of the song she used.

Apsen in the Sunlight has always had a bit of a swelled head IMHO, look at the way she tried to stand on 'principle' with her rating of the fic despite people complaining. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if she's the one FF.not admins are thinking about when they say warnings don't work.

Then like others have said she opens up the yahoo group and gets nothing but love from her fans... her head has completely swollen at this point! Also IMHO with the way the last few chapters have been her collaborating with her beta on the story...

I still read it eagerly each time there's a chapter release, but I'm looking forward to some kind of resolution soon. On the other hand you can't ask for a better slow progression from one thing to another than in this fic. It's THE answer to when people complain about fannon Draco, good in 30 seconds. In Aspen's fic he learns from his mistakes over time instead of all at once because he's hawt!

--bornagainpenguin

8. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

I was a follower of this fic, but left it after Malfoy’s hearing. Just seeing Harry angsting over ferret face and what not was a bit disconcerting. I'm not saying that it’s a bad story, because it is really well written and has many original ideas, but it was becoming too thought-oriented and roundabout. One day I just couldn’t be bothered to finish reading the next updated chapter, and I haven’t picked it up since.

It was one of my favorite stories about a year ago, though. The fact that it still hasn’t finished and has become so long just makes me wonder, how has the plot developed? Still, I'm not willing, nor do I have the time to read it again or even pick it up where I left off.

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah, its gotten to the point that when there's a new chapter out, I usually put it on hold for something else to read, or to browse these forums.

The Yahoo group really bloated her ego, and the people that ran Tauri helped it along by constantly praising her and reviewing her fic under different aliases so she would stop getting sad and demanding more reviews. And then there was that whole brouhaha with her taking Cambiare Podentes off and not even telling anyone why. That, I think, is one of the most arrogant things you can do.

On the subject of AYLNO again, I think she has some sort of sick fetish with Severus controlling Harry in some way or another. In this story he acts as a father, with Harry bowing to his almost every whim, and in Cambiare he literally enslaves Harry, and then falls in love with him.

My one big complaint of this story is that Harry is a pussy. He's powerful, but he still does everything Snape tells him to, adn then gets scared that Snape might un-adopt him because he's mad at him.

10. bornagainpenguin

:O_O: Dude... you read Cambiare Podentes? OMFG!

--bornagainpenguin (who tries to hide his archived copies of that fic)

11. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

THANK YOU!

That's exactly what I wanted to hear to completely remove this fic from my to-read list. Glad I got that straight :)

Unlike some, I can take both redeemed Snape and Malfoy, but not if Harry is acting lika a little bitch.

12. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Oh, HELL NO! I wouldn't go near that fic. I would rather read stained-future than that.

13. Piccaboo!

Piccaboo! Second Year

Is that another fic of hers?

14. bornagainpenguin

I take the fifth...

--bornagainpenguin

15. bornagainpenguin

Heh... Speak of the devil--guess who just updated?

--bornagainpenguin

16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Yes, Cambiare was a slash fic, Harry/Snape. Now, that might not seem that bad to invoke such a response from me and penguin, but trust me, it is. It's a fic in which Snape makes Harry his slave because they had to. And then Snape has 'sessions' in which he feels up a 17-year-old. I think he also gives him a bath.

penguin- I can't believe you even saved that horrible fic to your HD. But I think that that Yahoo group, AYLNO_CAMBIARE, might want those chapters.

The funniest part about it is, Aspen just took the fic off the net without explaining why. The Tauri staff was then subjugated to countless e-mails and posts asking why they took it off. And Aspen didn't even tell anyone why, she just never mentioned it. I was laughing the entire time, because it just proved how arrogant she is, and the fact that I hate the Tauri staff made it all the better.

17. Piccaboo!

Piccaboo! Second Year

Yeah I just read her update.

[spoiler:e165e7edc6]I actually liked how Harry laughed at Lucius dying. Though the needle thing in the end... what the...?

OMFG,, he's going to have even more issues and poke himself with a needle instead of cutting,, isn't there enough with the selfpitying and angst?[/spoiler:e165e7edc6]

But if there is something i really like about this fic, it's the small funny comments. Some of them are just hillarius (I have a wierd humor - it's genetic - don't blame me)

P.S. Sorry about the spoiler

18. bornagainpenguin

Nah... I don't have the chapters they're looking for. As for why I'd have bothered to save them? Simple I wanted to see where she was going with it. I'm afraid that I made a common mistake; I treated it like an experimental work and reserved my judgement while I waited for it to get better..

Her arrogance was caused by the fact she was one of the more 'famous' writers in the Harry Potter fanfic world to have been tossed off FF.not, naturally everyone was on her side and feeling defensive for her. Unfortunately her ego just kept growing and growing...

--bornagainpenguin

19. bornagainpenguin

I haven't read it yet; please try not to spoil it for me!

--bornagainpenguin

20. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Agh, chapter 92 just proves how much of a weak shit (or shite as Aspen always spells is for some nonsensical reason) Harry is. I mean, he was fretting over killing Malfoy, even after he almost killed both of them! This is the best example of a spineless Harry. Gah, this story is becoming shit (or shite, if you prefer it that way).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2008