1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Year Like None Other by Aspen In The Sunlight - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Jun 6, 2005.

1. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

I think she spells it shite by way of having read too many Andrew Greenley novels...or at least that's one other place I've always seen that spelling of the word...

Anyway, Chapter 95 is up and along with the notice in my email comes this little gem...

So even when this fic 'ends' it won't end... [sighs] and I really used to like this fic at one point, way back when it was first being written...

--bornagainpenguin (who keeps reading in hopes it will get better...)

PS: I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I doubt anyone wants me to post a new thread just to comment on a fic we already have a thread for...

2. The Lord of Chaos

The Lord of Chaos Slug Club Member

For those of you who wanted to read this but where waiting for it to end, the story is over. However a sequel that takes place during the summer is in progress.

Overall I really like this story, though I don't expect too many others to appreciate the story since Harry is very much, not independent. But It is a very good superpower Harry fic.

:mid3

3. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Wow. Hell of a bump, dude. But since it's a story, it's ok. :p Yeah, superpowered? Fuck no. He's a little bitch. I haven't even read the last chapter and the epilogue, so reading the sequel is out of the question now. The yahoo group is completely pointless, she deletes any thread that has a hint of criticism in it. The drama that went on in that group in it's prime was much, much worse than what just happened in DLP. This fic was promising in the beginning. But...yeah, emo Harry was a huge part of this story.
    She spent way to long on the fucking "Oh noes, I can't use magic anymore, o woe is me." arc of the story. Then she finally does something cool with the parsel magic, but then doesn't even spend to much time on that or trying to defeat Voldemort. Harry's biggest problems nearing the end were: 1) ZOMG I'm in both Slytherin and Gryffindor, what Quidditch team shall I play for now?! By the way, the whole thing with his being in two houses because of Snape? Bullshit. >_< 2) Draco might be feeling lonely and jealous! 3) Everybody hates me because of my parsel magic. :( 4) My DADA teacher is a dipshit. (Like that's fucking new, Jesus.)
    This used to be one of my favorite stories. Decent plot, extremely long and regular updates, good writing style, etc. Then she overplayed the family shit, and got a fucking huge ego after FFnet kicked her stories off and she made a yahoo group. After that, her story went to shit. She would go months without updating, whereas before, she would update at least once every two weeks, most of the time within a week. Sometimes within a day. Yeah, AYLNO went to shit. :\

4. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

Especially with the emo stabbing of the wrists. Bloody hell, just make him a cutter, you don't need your 31337 cutting. It's boring enough as it is.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I just spent a bit of time catching up on this tale. I thought I'd come post links to the 2 sequels in case anyone is bored. (I did a google search of the site and didn't see them linked)

As for the series as a whole, I'd give it a 3/5 I think. It started off really strong actually, but went downhill at some point. There is far too much Angst over the family thing and Harry... well, he's... it's like he often acts younger than he is. Especially in his role as son. Other people in the thread have mentioned it better than I. The sequels are similar to the original in those aspects.

Harry is whiny and is far too concerned over what Snape and Draco think. He overreacts. There is drama manufactured from concern that Snape will "unadopt" him. Harry starts stabbing himself with needles, though I've long since forgotten why. Most of the drama and conflict is centered around Family, friends, or school -- we only have occasional issues with real threats like Voldemort.

I give it a 3/5 because it's got good grammar, tons of chapters, and even if I don't like where she takes the story sometimes it's still good enough for me to use to kill time.

A Summer Like None Other -- COMPLETE. Family isn't everything, as Harry, Snape, and Draco discover in this sequel to A Year Like None Other. How will a mysterious mirror and a surprising new relationship affect a father and his two sons?

A Family Like None Other
    -- Third story in the "Like None Other" universe. During his final year at Hogwarts, relationships will splinter as Harry confronts secrets long-buried and faces the greatest challenge of them all.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009