1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain)
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

Across These Days like Deserts by Vailkagami - T - Terminator

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by CrackedMind, Oct 12, 2019 at 10:10 PM.

1. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Death Eater

Title: Across These Days Like Deserts
    By: Vailkagami
    Rating: T
    Genre: Gen/AU
    Fandom: Terminator
    Pairings: John Connor/Kate Brewster, but romance isn't a part of this story
    Summary: In 1997, the world ends right on schedule. In 2029, the war is won.
    In between those events are 32 years, and both the fear and the hope that the future is not written in stone.
    Link: AO3

So, this is an AU where Judgement Day happens when it's originally scheduled to. It's about John trying to rally an army, Kate trying to keep the civilians together, and Kyle trying to survive. It's long as hell, almost 330K words.

So there's a lot of good and bad here. I think the idea is one i've never seen implemented before, and even in stories that are similar and about John dealing with a post-Judgement Day world it stands above the rest. While it's an incredibly depressing read in parts, it never feels like it's wallowing in self pity or too angsty. It's more like The Road- bad shit happens and they deal with it with minimal grief.

Downside- it can be a very depressing read. The early Kyle segments wore me down, too- he's in a kill camp for a looooooong time. There's a tag/warning for rape too, which I feel like I have to point out, but it's never explicitly mentioned and just sort of implied in the background. Which, again, it's a post apocalyptic world so it doesn't seem unreasonable that it'd turn some people into animals.

I also think that the author might not be a native English speaker, because there are a lot of small errors throughout- spelling or words that are close but not quite right in a given situation. It didn't bother me too much, because they're spread out throughout the work- its just after 330K it adds up. There's also a fair bit of telling where there should be showing and I could feel myself skimming through parts.

Overall though, I enjoyed it. I'd say it's up there for me in terms of the best Terminator fic I've read (not that it has much competition), and if nothing else it was a great timewaster. I'd say a solid 3/5 for me.