1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Adware blocking this site.

Discussion in 'Site Related Support' started by Juggler, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

It's extremely annoying and has been happening for about 2 months now, and the only way I got on was by using an unblocker. How do I get it off? ATM, I use dial up and Internet Explorer, and the McAfee shit that was pre-installed doesn't do crap for me.

2. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  3. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Do the above, and also get rid of IE. Use Firefox.

4. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Forgot the most important step :)

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Personally, I advise switching to Linux (Ubuntu/Debian-based systems have the best resourses, and are easiest to learn...) for the use of Swiftfox. Truthfully, you'll never notice the difference on 99.999% of newer, high end systems, but the improved security and build-specific installs make it a worth-while program.

I love Swiftfox. Its like running Firefox with fasterfox, but without the bulky always-in-use hulking monster it leaves in the resources to speed FF boot time.

6. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

I forgot to mention, as this isn't 100% my computer, I can't change Internet Explorer. I will follow the other steps though. Can't wait till I get my own >_>

7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

There's no need to 'change Internet Explorer'. You don't even need to install a full version of Firefox. Download and run Portable Firefox.

Portable Firefox doesn't need to create new icons, registry changes or anything like that. It's designed to run from a USB Memory Stick but will run from a hard drive just as easily. Install it to c:\temp\ff\ or maybe to your My Documents folder. After you've finished with it, just delete the folder where you installed it and all traces of it will be gone. That's the advantage of using the portable version.

An even better idea is to grab a small, very cheap USB memory stick and install PortableApps onto it. It's very handy. It allows you to use many favourite programs (Firefox, IM clients, GIMP, Open Office, VLC, etc) on a computer that you have no control over.