1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle by Inverarity - K+

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ray243, Jun 23, 2009.

1. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

Why did Ms. King think that it was necessary for Claudia to raise Alex? I'm assuming that Thorn cast the same kind of spell that was used by Dumbledore to protect Harry when he was staying with the Dursely.

2. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Uhhh no. Not really. At all. That was Lily's spell, nothing to do with Dumbledore. As for Claudia raising her.. I'm guessing someone in the decision process figured blood relation trumped marriage. Or, you know, the whole Circle of Protection thingy. That might have been a factor too.

3. LittleBlackGoldfish

LittleBlackGoldfish Third Year

As others have said, it certainly explains alot about Claudia's attitude towards Alexandra. She was never cruel, or unloving, but there was always something just so slightly off about their relationship and this completely explains it.

4. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

I just finished sprinting books 1-3 and haven't read any of this thread for fear of book 4 spoilers.

I just want to drop by and say that in all my years of reading fanfiction, this is BY FAR the greatest most fantastic thing I've ever read since wahlbergs journal of the whills, actually probably better. AQ reads like HP. No, AQ reads better than harry potter, a few far and few between editing oversights sure, but as far as story archs and plotting and writing style go, I think Inverarity is more talented than JKR.

Inveraity, if you're reading this do you have a paypal link for donations. I know you're probably not doing this for the money and I don't have a lot but I feel guilty reading such a novel quality work with out paying at least something.

Can't wait to read the 4th, and don't you dare think about not finishing the series.

5. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

That's very kind of you, but I believe strongly that Thou Shalt Not Monetize Fan Fiction. I am glad you enjoy AQ so much, and if you really want to pay me back, then when I get a novel published, you can buy that. :)

6. Anme

Anme Professor

"Hecate became Galenthias," said Ms. Grimm.

Alexandra stared at the black cat, who stared back at her and meowed.

"My mother... is a cat?" Alexandra thought that the world had become one very bad joke.

:awesome

I do sort of like who her mother was, though. Although the quoted part above was maybe a bit too much to take serious.

And Alexandra is her stupid self again with seeming to want to go after Manuelito on her own. I'd expect though that she might be watched enough to prevent her going.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  7. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

If this is the bombshell that one of Inverarity's beta is unhappy with, I can understand why. The story's sudden shift in tone might be a little bit too hard for people to take it.

Just when things seems sad and depression, it becomes rather comedic in a rather sudden manner.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  8. Anme

Anme Professor

Yeah. My first reaction was to laugh out loud but now I'm not sure I like it. I do like that two Grimm sisters are the aunts of Alexandra but I would have liked it better had her mother actually been dead or in a hospital or just somewhere hidden away, than what it is now. It's strange to look back at for example the scene where Galen almost ate Alexandra as a rat and I find it a bit ridiculous.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Well, that one quote was. There rest wasn't very funny.

Anyway, John Manuelito. I wonder if that will be Alex's adventure this year. I mean, it's only halftime, that's a little early ... chasing John Manuelito through the last half of the book? Although, how does this work again.

One step = seven leagues if you're literal, that's like, 35 km. You'd need only 1,000 steps to walk once around the earth :mrgreen: Alex could be in Charmbridge now and anywhere else minutes later. I kinda think that's a little overpowered >_>

Edit: Seriously? As I said, I like it way more than Claudia being her sister. It's not funny at all. Her mother is a vegetable :/

10. Meneldur

Meneldur Third Year

Laugh? Funny? It's horrible! Not only is her mother effectively a vegetable (and may have tried to eat her), her entire family, from any side you look at it, is horribly dysfunctional.

On to other matters. This chapter has quite a few answers, but even more new questions arise. These are my primary ones:

Who was Claudia's mother?

What was really behind Desiree's death?

WTF happened with Hecate?! Diana's version is slightly more believable, because why would WJD agents hunting an extremely dangerous criminal try Obliviating him or his accomplices... but on the other hand, it wasn't a normal Obliviate. Abraham was obviously considered a very serious threat not just because of his actions, but also because of his knowledge. And Abraham felt a need to protect Alexandra from... something. What knowledge was lost with Hecate's mind?

11. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

I don't know. I just don't feel that the mood became serious again after finding out what happened to her mother.

12. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

I feel like this should be a more beginning of the year or end of the year twist. Because it really sounds like something Alexandra would try and fix or do tons or research over the summer on

13. TeaSpoon

TeaSpoon Squib

Alexandra didn't specify a target in her spell last chapter. If Bonnie survives without divine intervention, maybe Alexandra can heal Hecate instead. The way I interpret the spell, Alexandra was inviting the powers to make a deal, so there should be a bit of leeway.

Having said that, I'm not so sure it's a good idea to help Hecate. She seems Bellatrix Lestrange-ish. She showed a level of devotion to Abraham Thorn that borders on the irrational.

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Damn, I leave for two days and ... Alex's mom is a cat. A cat I would have sworn was male until this chapter.

Ok, so... I'm of two minds about this as a reader.

On the one hand I'm going WTF 4 SRS? NO WAI. Because seriously, this is weird and it really did come out of the blue as far as I can tell. Yes it ties in with the two Grimm sisters haven both taken an interest in Alex up to this point, but there were also other reasons for that (her headmaster, investigation into her father, etc.). Yes it explains why Galen got the amount of screentime that she did, but I wrote that off to showing an example of how a familiar could behave. It all just seems too coincidental though, somehow.

On the other hand, it makes sense in-universe where it doesn't make sense looking at it objectively. If you take it from Alex's perspective then yes, of course if all of this happened to her mother then it would make some sense for the situation to have worked out as it did. Hecate is more comfortable as a cat, etc. It's only as an objective reader that the whole scenario grates on me slightly.

But it is interesting as hell. Really looking forward to Monday's update!

Apart from that though... I am not sure I like Alex heading off to find John (it isn't said straight out that that is where she's going, but I thought it heavily implied). I guess I just don't understand her obsession with him, though I know she is wary.

In Book 1 we had Alex worrying about someone trying to kill her while discovering who her father was. In Book 2 we had the whole plot revolving around Max and the Lands Below, and like Book 1 Alex had a clear, believable reason for the things she did. The same is true of the third book, where she is obsessing over Max's death.

But it seems to me that this thing with John isn't as solid a motive as any of those other things. He has tried to kill her, sure, but I have trouble envisioning Alex being so crazy as to march off in search of him when she knows he's stronger than she is. That's a bit rash even for Alex (and she is as rash as they come). The driving motive that she had for helping Max, or trying to treat with Death, just doesn't seem to be here as much.

For me anyway. But maybe she's going somewhere else! Like to see the King family (doubtful, since Mrs. King would just send her back to school), or to find her father, or to see Harry Potter.

Speaking of Harry Potter. I rarely think about him when I'm reading AQ, but I have to admit that if he was going to show up at all I'd expect it to be in relation to The Most Deathly Power. Given all the stuff with the Deathly Hallows that he went through he'd have a bit of overlap there. (But I don't expect him to make an appearance, as much fun potential as it has)

Anyway! Looking forward to the next bit. ^^

15. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

That has to be the most confusing chapter I've ever read that didn't involve a time-turner.

16. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Wait. I haven't read the new chapter, since I'll probably wait until the story is completed now (assuming this is the beginning of the finale), but why isn't she using the seven league boots? If they are real honest-to-god seven league boots, she should be there in five minutes. If they aren't, this changes, of course, but I don't think that is ever said, and even so, then what are they? What do the boots actually do?

17. Meneldur

Meneldur Third Year

Yeah, my question exactly. Especially since just last chapter, it said: "She wished she had worn the Seven-League Boots. Sweetmaple Avenue was only a couple of miles from the hospital, but that seemed like a very long way to walk in the freezing cold".

Then again, in general Alexandra's judgement shouldn't be trusted when she's emotional, so maybe she just forgot in her anger and stuff?

18. Ched

Ok, newest chapter... Oh, and I'll use spoiler tags for anything in the newest chapter, but my first few comments are about the story up until now. Don't want to spoil things for you guys -- though why wait til it's finished Sesc? Hm, unless you think it's nearing completion, but I thought we still had a good bit of school left to go this year.

I read that part of the chapter to mean that her feet were cold, not that the distance was so long she needed magically enhanced walking boots.

Something that no one has mentioned -- a few chapters ago Alex did some spell, I think it was Doggerel verse, to find her wand. I read the part as giving her some kind of extra connection to Charlie, so that she knew what he was doing somehow without actually seeing him. I'm not sure if I read that wrong, but it's been in the back of my mind. Now with Charlie and Alex probably splitting ways I am expecting that to be expounded upon, unless I read it wrong.

Was John somehow responsible for what happened to Bonnie? I didn't think so, but I could have forgotten. If so that might help with some of my concerns in the previous post -- Alex is determined to find him b/c he keeps missing her and hurting her friends. That I could at least understand on her part.

I think Alex was really rather mean to head off so shortly after talking to Quimley and telling him she didn't intend to go immediately off and find John. She usually tends to at least put up a pretence of things with her Elf friends.

Ok, current chapter:
    Looks like I might have been right about Charlie, unless that was just a dream... but I don't think so.

Apparently if Alex's boots can cover distance quickly she doesn't know about it -- she's wondering how to cross 20-30 miles of desert. ...but why isn't she wearing them? The hag was wearing them earlier and walking normally, so it's not like she'd have to take giant league-covering steps, especially if she doesn't know that there's anything special about them.

Argh, what am I trying to say? If she doesn't know that the boots can cover ground quickly, then (1) why did she bring them and (2) if she's not worried about that then why doesn't she wear them? If she thought they'd be useful then again, why isn't she wearing them?

Good chapter all around. I feel like it was fairly "meaty" and that a good bit progressed. I liked her solution to sleeping there at the end.

19. Meneldur

Meneldur Third Year

I think the Charlie thing is not so much doggerel verse as it is her magic developing and her connection with her familiar deepening. We've seen what Abraham and Hagar can do - I assume Alexandra's powers are developing to a similar point.

I think the part with John was that Quimley saw owls coming out of his house, and the driver who hit Bonnie saw owls which obscured his vision, causing him to hit Bonnie. In her anger and general lack of emotional control, Alexandra believes the owls were sent by John (possibly they're shape-shifters/skin-changers/animagi?), and so wants to hunt him down before he can kill or hurt any more of her friends.

20. Ched

That is what I thought as well, but it seems to me as if the Doggerel verse is what set it off. I.e. It opened that particular connection with her familiar, and now it is left to develop. Or so it seemed.