1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot All Problems Solved by Ruskbyte - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by hchan1, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

3.5/5 for me. It was very well written, but as noted above I just couldn't bring myself to thoroughly enjoy the Draco point of view. Having a story star Draco acts like Kens repellent for me. The fact that I read the whole thing is just a testimony to how good Ruskbyte is.

I am eagerly awaiting the next installment of The Culture though.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Hey. You're the author of that new HP/WoT xover. :D

Like your work so far. ;)

3. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Thanks! I'm a tad nervous that I was a little ambitious for my first novella length story, but so far it's holding together with duct tape. Balancing it out so there's tension in that story was a bitch.

I'm hoping to get the next installment out sometime next weekend.

4. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Even though I don't really like this is deserves the library in my opinion. Oh by the way Kensington, Also liking your story here :)

5. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

EBTMG is an easy 5-star work. APS, on the other hand, has a different perspective and feel. Different though, not bad, but not quite as good as EBTMG. Accordingly, APS gets 4.5 stars, and yes, I'm rounding up since it's a worthy sequel.

6. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

4/5 I would give it 5/5 but I found myself almost felling sorry for Draco, which is terrible. Will be following your work.

7. LuxDragon

LuxDragon Fourth Year

Personally, the fact that EBTMG was supposed to be a oneshot, a 2nd installment would be hard pressed to write. Especially since most of the antagonists are dead.

Like Ruskbyte called this one: A Rabid Bunny.

8. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

My expectations may have been a bit lower than needed due to the fact that sequels almost never live up to the epic-ness of the previous work. Still, this has to be the best story I've read in a very long time!

The mystery worked fantastically well, I found myself facinated by Malfoy's memory loss and the unexpected history lessons. Ruskbyte successfully managed to turn a hated character into a human being. The twist came as a rather big surprise to me, since I'm not familiar with the source material at all. The horror didn't start immediately, which made it a hell of a lot more powerful when it finally made its presence known. I found the ending especially chilling, endless torment continually spreading through foolish actions, nightmares repeating infinitely.

5/5

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  9. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

It was an excellent piece, but like most sequels (but not your's nonjon, of the "WITWIHP?" trilogy. That was awesome and something I can read when I need a good laugh) there was just something that didn't add up quite the same.

There was too much Draco, something that I seem to be echoing, and hardly enough Harry. There was a little H/Hr play which many seem to like though.

Harry is a little coniving and slytherinish in his idea for the box to weed out his enemies, which is nice. And it has some charm in that most respect him and few look at Draco with respect.

Draco dies. GREAT! But there just wasn't enough Pinhead, gore, Harry, or just not enough Harry really.

Still, 5/5 though it isn't my 'exact cup of tea.'

I still say there was too much Draco and not enough Harry, Pinhead, or well, Harry. But it is good.

If I didn't know the author's work and the infamous prequel, I might not have known it was a sequel until half way through.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  10. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

Even though it was more Draco-Centric than I would have liked, I still liked this story. Draco repeating his nightmare, and even the end where the Malcolm character enters the shop was pure win for me. 5/5

Great story.

11. Photon

Photon Order Member

I have no trouble with fact that it is mainly about Draco. Works perfectly as stand-alone work (I have yet to read "Evil Be Thou My Good", fact that it is crossover I discovered by noticing tags on this thread). Well done mystery, great horror (at least for me it was mainly from depiction of Harry, Hermione etc). 5/5

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You're missing out then. This is a great fic, but Evil Be Thou My Good is better.

13. bombdiggity92

bombdiggity92 Temporarily Banhammered

I'm just really fucking confused.

14. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Read Evil Be Thou My Good, it should help you understand what is happening in this one, as All Problems Solved is the sequel.

15. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Evil Be Though My Good is fantastic. I'm going to go reread that now.

16. bombdiggity92

I read it doesn't change the fact that this story leaves me feeling like an idiot. But still it was a good read even though I don't completely understand it.

17. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    What about it confuses you? I haven't read it in a while, but while I remember being amazed and a strange horrified fascination throughout the story, I don't particularly remember feeling idiotic.

18. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I concur. Neither this nor EBTMG are complicated stories. What exactly didn't you understand?

As for this fic, it isn't as good as EBTMG but it's still a thoroughly enjoyable read. 4.5/5 rounded by to 5/5.

19. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Better if you know where pinhead and co are from though, made a lot more sense once I'd watched the movie, but when I read it a quick Wikipedia search sorted any issues I had understanding it out.
    I think I preferred the Final destination one, despite the uh romance/ smut involved (is that even the right way to put it?) But this is still very good, all the more so because I was quite annoyed at the only other time Pinhead has appeared in HP fiction (Perfect Slytherins).

All in all very solid 4/5. In the end the only thing holding it back is that it lacks some of the weight that comes with being more than a one shot, still very very good though.

20. bombdiggity92

I just don't get whats going on in the story personally it feels like it jumps around alot. I sort of get whats going on but I just don't understand whats going on ya dig?