1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Volume the Third

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Antivash, Aug 11, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Are you sure? Because I got the impression that, usually, he just struggles to fit himself in Albus Severus's backside.

Gawd, I hate next-gen fic every bit as much as so-called Marauder-era fic.

There's an app for that.

2. kalespr

kalespr Fourth Year

Frankly, I think there's a case to be made of her being Slytherin (blood status aside), but the author made it into some sort of wimpy "Omagosh! My firstest ever friend ever has gone into slytherin, I should too!" bullshit, rather than any aspect of her personality that would fit in Slytherin. That said, she's clearly a Gryffindor.

It's quickly heading in the direction of terribleness with her, but it's not without hope of redemption yet. Still, I'm getting unseemly vibes of "Mudblood Revolution" (with a tinge of her going all S.P.E.W. over this) that taints most stories that try to deal with the blood purity issue.

3. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Like how Harry could have been in Slytherin, Hermione could have been in Ravenclaw, too - I'd of found it more realistic for her to go into Ravenclaw, in order to remain friends with Harry.

Being in Slytherin is unrealistic for her (as she'd most probably be dead within a week, tops), and being a Gryffindor would put a HUGE strain on a friendship with a Slytherin!Harry.

I get the feeling this fic is going down the crapper, fast.

4. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Edit: Warlocke beat me to the punch, and did it in a funnier manner.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  5. knuckz

knuckz Seventh Year

Harry Potter and the World Beneath

Despite some missteps here and there, I'd give this story a 5/5 based on pure enjoyability (though that may be because of my own personal tastes). Realistically, I'd say it's deserving of at least a 3/5, if not a 4. The lack of dialogue can be slightly daunting though (there's very little until the later chapters).

6. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Somebody has already put that in For Review, I think. It's resting at 3 stars.

On the topic, I'd Almost Rec The Outlaw.

It has some things that DLP won't like (oh joy, an adult American OC who happens to be competent), but the premise is interesting enough. Voldemort's relationship with the dragon outbreak is interesting: he likes how they're weakening the Ministry, but he hates that they'll be a long-term problem which he will have to inherit.

It's worth a read, notwithstanding Tellemicus Sundance's negative reputation.

7. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

It's actually in the library already. I enjoyed it a lot, but it hasn't been updated in quite awhile. There was a minor shitstorm about the author not wanting to actually make the Harry/Fleur go beyond basic friendship. I think the beta is a DLPer, and he lit a fire under the author's ass to actually make the story go somewhere, but it hasn't been updated since.

8. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Reign of Fire in HP Fanfic form, eh?

9. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I have followed that since its beginning and it's a great apocalyptic idea but after so many delays the story lost its appeal. IMHO it went downhill when he met this OC and I don't expect that it will go anywhere anymore.
    The concept would deserve better.

10. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

I've actually been looking for another good dragon story for a while now, hope this one doesn't suck (the last one I read was by Esama so the bar is low!)

11. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

To be fair, he IS a douche.

12. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

Some time ago, someone recommended Phantom Limb somewhere. In case anyone was following this, it's been updated.

Just more general crazyness and some background. No matter how confusing the story can be at times, I still find myself enjoying it.

13. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like it, though the update was mostly background stuff.

14. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

Title: An Old and New World (In-Progress but close to finishing)
    Author: Lens of Sanity
    Pairing: Harry/Fleur (eventually)
    Rating: T
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6849022/1/An_Old_and_New_World
    Story Summary: After a Prologue in Azkaban where he meets Bella and Sirius Harry is released a changed man. It's Fourth Year and the events of the Tri-Wizard Tournament are looming, Harry is no longer the good little Hero.

Better then it sounds. Its funny, entertaining and just the right amount of weird to keep it fun. Reminded me a bit of 'A Black Comedy', with its slightly serious story hiding in-between the comedy and crack. 4/5

And a big old thanks to moatra and his Filtered Fanfiction page for helping me find the first new decent fic I've read in ages

15. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I tried An Old and New World a while ago but something always irked me. I couldn't take it really serious somehow. Either it was some plot decision or the weird characterizing. Most of the time I got this off the track feeling. And it's not just this story. This trait is part of all his stories and I came to the conclusion that the writer's mind is incompatible to mine.

16. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

That author reminds me a lot of 1411eastwest, in that the crack gives some people a good trip and some a bad trip.

For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying An Old and New World mostly for its ensemble cast. The whole thing is done with a very DnDish feel, and if that isn't your thing you won't like it.

17. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I enjoyed An Old and New World. It's very cracky and some things don't work as well as others, but it definitely has the same types of humor as A Black Comedy. Well worth a read, if you can tolerate some of the cliches.

Harry dies multiple times, the dark arts rebirth ritual is abused to all hell, the horcruxes are all used well, basically reviving the founders, the most believable Hermione/Voldemort relationship ever, both using muggle weaponry and good explanations as to why it's not usually used, and an Airship. Cracky is an understatement.

18. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

Little Monster

It's a pretty good AlmostFeral!Harry.

Only real problem is that it comes off as the first chapter of something longer rather then a standalone fic.

19. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Shit, SPO, I just read that and was about to post it. Lol, sniped.

Yeah, I basically feel the same thing. It might be library worthy if she continues it, but as it is it's mostly an idea.

20. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

This is a good story, with its down sides and up sides. It's well worth the time. I'm going to randomly enumerate good and bad points, so those who are not interested may skip this post, just note that it's a strong 4/5 story IMO.

First, it's a long and entertaining read. It is action-packed, and progresses with lightning-fast pace. Magic, spells, and fight scenes in this story are very good. Overall, the story fits into the light-hearted humour and adventure category.

It had suspension of disbelief in the beginning, I mean everything happening there seemed logical to me. For one example, when Harry was released from Azkaban his attitude changed in the same way I would have done it were I writing the story; and so on. But things got more outlandish with each chapter, with more inane humour added.

Harry is, impossibly, more snarky than Harry Dresden is. His attitude is even worse than Dresden's when dealing with danger.

He has some kind of non-existent affair with Fleur where they would go at each other tooth and nail. He enjoys frustrating the hell out of everyone around him. He has his own entourage of mis-matched friends, which is very similar to the one Harry had in Rorschach's "Make A Wish" story.

On that note, the author enjoys borrowing things, ideas from Harry Potter fanfiction, things, which he thinks are awesome and deserve canonisation. Also, his whole story is riddled with allusions to other's fanfics, jokes like "Hack for the Minister of Brazil", etc. Personally, I think it's awesome. The author has put in disclaimers to things that are not his own, so he's not stealing.

Regarding grammar, he very often uses "too" in place of "to". It's frustrating. Also, if I remember correctly, the first chapters had had problem with verb tenses. His punctuation is weird and it irkes me. The following randon example should be pretty self-explanatory:

He has many little "flashback" scenes, which is always a bad sign. Admittedly, it is done in a way that is almost all-right: firstly, the pace of the story is too fast to fit in everything, secondly, it complies with the light-hearted nature of the story, and thirdly, because of these scenes the story reads like a script to an action movie, where little titbits are shown briefly as needed immediately before the action scene.

And finally, as I said, the story got more and more outlandish and disjointed with each chapter. It is epic, snarky, and long, but I'm now at chapter 18 and I think I'm beginning to loose interest.

Not open for further replies.