1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Worm Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NoxedSalvation, Nov 12, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Eh. A drop of blood alone from an unknown source is considered toxic biological waste. No way to know they don't have the AIDs, and it would be treated worse than that.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  2. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I've actually thought about this quite a bit. Supposedly that stuff had been sitting in her locker for two weeks over winter break. Wouldn't it be completely dried out by the time Taylor got stuck in there? Would it even smell that badly at that point?

Just a bunch of dried blood, right? So... coppery?

3. Hello

Hello Professor

Not just blood, and it molds over time (less than a week) so probably pretty bad.

4. Rym

Rym Auror

It's way more than just blood. And yeah, it would smell atrociously bad. Like, shut down the school bad.

5. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

There's a lot more than just blood in menstrual waste, the most obvious being the endometrium (read: mucus from the uteran walls).

By its very nature, the resulting concoction is quite nutrient rich, even without a fetus present. That leads to all sorts of rather nasty biological reactions when it's set out and left to rot.

After two weeks, the stuff in the locker would have been visibly rotting. There'd be mold everywhere, weird and disgusting fluids that are uncomfortable to look at, bugs of every description feasting on it, etc, etc. It would be a messy nightmare that would stink to high heaven.

Honestly, I'm kinda amazed Taylor didn't notice the stink and just leave long before she opened her locker.

6. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

So, I was reading this and thought, "That's gross." Then I glanced at your avatar.

I was almost sick.

yak
  7. theronin

theronin Order Member

rofl, glad you commented, I would have never noticed.

Also, I don't know who mentioned hope comes to b.b., but that was some of the worst garbage I have read in quite some time. I think I got about 30 segments in before I decided nothing worthwhile was going to come up and quit.

8. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I'm not arguing that there would be enough time for that shit to start rotting. I'm wondering if two weeks is enough time for it to finish rotting.

9. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

10. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  11. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Just as planned.

Except not really, and now I'm kinda grossed out by it. Thanks.

Dick.

Define "finish rotting", because it can take anywhere from a few days to a few months for something to decompose completely, depending on the circumstances. And all you're left with is a greyish sludge that's absolutely disgusting to human senses, but is also one of the most nutrient rich substances on Earth.

That said, you don't need anything to finish rotting for it to be nasty as all fuck. It takes little more than a day for mold to start growing, and a week for a rather massive colony in a nutrient rich environment like that, and the insect population shouldn't really need to be mentioned as quadrupling overnight. It's absolutely a foetid and hazardous environment for a human being, especially if they have any open wounds or it gets in their face.

12. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd like to put into a request that this thread's topic be shifted off of the decomposition rate of tampons. Because, fucking really?

13. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Have to agree -- we get it, it's worse than 1000 Carries. Sorry I brought it up.

14. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Copacetic updated.

Skitter is back.

15. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

Acceleration is a mildly interesting Worm story where Taylor has the ability to manipulate vectors. As a plus, it doesn't rehash canon! Lung hasn't even shown up at all in this story! The Undersiders have made a very brief appearance but only in passing and the bullying isn't super over the top intense 'trappedin the locker for 3 days!'

You might like it.

Personally, I'm enjoying it a bit because Taylor's power is kind of cool, although it may be making her overpowered. I think that may have been the intention and the focus isn't on fighting bad guys but rather on factions trying to be friends with Taylor, or trying to get around her. So, that's cool. I like reading about that and I had a similar idea for a story. The bullying is played at the same level as in the original story so there hasn't been a murder attempt by Emma or Sophia and I can see Emma fading out of this story. The actual plot is actually about Dinah so far in that Dinah finds a way to get away from Coil with a 100% chance by going to Taylor. And that's the entire plot so far.

There isn't a huge amount in it though.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  16. frantic

frantic Boosted

It steals off of To Aru Majutsu No Index, and does it very poorly.

It's not great.

I updated Neurocracy, by the way. You can go read it in the WbA.

17. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

So for convenience, I went through the thread and made a list of every story that has been recommended by at least three DLP members. I only counted posts that explicitly recommended a story as good and worth reading.

• Copacetic. Summary: "This fanfic is an attempt at a continuation, following Taylor in her new world, where with the death of Scion and the albeit temporary opening of a portal, powers are only just beginning to spread. Starts roughly six months past the final epilogue."

• Bug on a Wire. Summary: 'Taylor Hebert wanted to be a hero, but she never really planned out how she was going to get there. If she had been a little more proactive before putting on a costume things would have gone differently, that's for sure. Better? Well, that's a different question."

• Cenotaph. Summary: "Taylor takes credit for the capture of Lung and propels herself in a different direction than canon."

• Propagation. Summary by Vira: "Taylor gets Eden's / an entity's shard powers upon triggering."

• Walkabouts. Summary: "Post-Leviathan, Taylor is living in a shelter, angry and adrift. A chance encounter puts her on a different course as she struggles to correct previous mistakes, and find a place for herself in this nebulous world of heroes and villains. (AU, post 8.07)"

• Shy Girl. Summary by Nemrut: "An AU where Taylor triggers with a different power, that being the ability to summon and control Shy Guys. Crossover with Mario."

• Manager. Summary: "Taylor Hebert's shard is the adminisitrator. Let's see what happens if it looked at administration differently.."

• Silent. Summary by Erandil: "Taylor's power lets her copy other capes. It isn't a direct copy, her variations are not as powerful and she can't copy everyone (so no Eidolon/Alexandria etc) but no other restraints are known. The story is very episodic ... and for now mostly centres about Taylor getting to know other capes and powers".

• Panacea Quest. Summary by Nemrut: "It's kind of a forum game, where the DM gives choices as to where the story should go and you can vote for it. ... Premise is, basically, it is a Panacea story, diverting rather early from the main story during the Bakuda arc and how Panacea basically deals with stuff differently."
    There is also Death's Hand, but it has more negative reviews here than positive, so YMMV.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  18. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm enjoying Tyrant, which is a Worm/Warhammer 40k crossover. It features Tyranids, which are like Zerg on New Game Plus. For reference, this is one of the more terrifying variants.

[​IMG]

It doesn't need any 40k knowledge jumping in, and has a pretty decent update rate.

19. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Read Silent earlier today and while it is a decent enough time waster it is also rather... boring I guess is the right word. If you have anything to do at all you will be better off doing it, only reason I finished was purely sunken cost fallacy.

20. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

I really liked Tyrant, I agree with that rec. For people who like all the early canon characters it is really a treat.

Silent is pretty eh. The mute thing is never really explained, and a lot of other threads are dropped too. It's notable mostly for being an Overpowered-Trump-Taylor story that actually finished, but it was kind of a downer really.

Not open for further replies.