1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Worm Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NoxedSalvation, Nov 12, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Tyrant is pretty cool, but becomes rather hard to follow later on. The author does a decent job of portraying Taylor's mental conflict, but it makes for awkward reading when you have to work out what the hell is happening.

Also, genestealers are OP outside of the 40kverse.

2. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Even inside it they are op. I remember reading a novel where a single genestealer managed to completely wipe out an Imperial Guard detachment through some careful psychic manipulation and inciting a civil war.

I'd hate to think of what a hive tyrant would do to people in wormverse.

3. Aekiel

High Score:
    Bah. Imperial Guard are basically meatshields. If you lose a billion or so in an attack they can easily be replaced with a single round of conscription.

4. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Acceleration is a pretty good story. Not the best but a pretty entertaining read. Plus the update rate is pretty insane. I'll go in more depth when I'm off mobile.

5. Infidel

Infidel Auror

Carnage is a new story about a "slightly" screwed up Taylor. Only two chapters up now and the update pace is slow. But I've really enjoyed it. The idea of a Taylor who killed the Butcher and became it is extremely interesting. Hope to see this story progress.

6. South of Hell

South of Hell Third Year

A couple of decent fics have popped up on SB as of late, such as Carnage, but it's probably too early to post them here.

7. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

Silent got updated; I'm confused.

EDIT: Ah, ok its a divergent if Jacob was Jack Slash.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  8. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

Apparently the previous ending was supposed to be an alternate timeline discarded by Coil, but she needed the story to end so she could stop writing and actually sleep.

9. ragingst0rm6

ragingst0rm6 Squib

Tyrant just updated. I'm really enjoying this fic even though I had never heard about this 40K species before.

Also glad that Silent is getting updated again, although now I'm more wary due to the way we got burned the first time around...

10. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

Copacetic updated as well. Although, it is just an interlude.

11. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

But a fun one. :D

12. NoxedSalvation

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  13. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Imago starts off dark, dense and weird, but once Taylor starts exploring her powers, and especially after she leaves the hospital, the tone of the story gets a little lighter and the whole thing becomes more enjoyable.

14. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  15. NoxedSalvation

Would anyone here be interested to read about a scenario where Taylor does some dimensional/time travel? I've had this plot bunny off and on where she finds herself in Pinsk, August 1941... Tentative title idea: "Exterminator".

16. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I'd definitely read it, but it seems likely it would be a complete curbstump if no other capes were around.

17. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Wow.

This interlude sucked. Fantastically. If it was written by the author it'd probably turn me off from the story completely, so the fact that the beta wrote most of it is really its only saving grace.

I really do not give a shit about Danny at all outside of his canon supporting role. A lot of the stuff that happened seemed incredibly contrived and stupid, and doesn't seem to enrich the story whatsoever unless the author is doing a major change in direction.

And suddenly villain? What?

Ugh.

18. NoxedSalvation

It's hard to curbstump long range conventional weapons while you have an effective range of two blocks in all directions (max. 1000 meters). Because the Nazis were scum, but they weren't stupid.

19. Aekiel

High Score:
    I'd read it, especially since overwhelming force from long distance is a decent way to deal with Masters and Shakers, so the conflict wouldn't be too one-sided. Plus I enjoy WWI/WWII stories.

20. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yes. It's bad. I don't think the author would've done much better, as the flaws are mostly in the outline. Since the beta wrote 75% of it, I'm hoping that we'll have a full proper chapter this weekend.

edit: Actually, Danny's characterisation sucked. He acted nothing like an adult. Nothing like a father and widower who's lost and re-gained his daughter. I was embarrassed for the author while I was reading it.

Also... a career unionist, a true believer, joins the ranks of management? Wut. Not even a blip on his radar about that.

And suddenly Blight appears. That's what I'm guessing anyway, judging by his plant killing powers and Taylor having used him as an example mass-murdering villain in her speech.

We've been waiting for the rest of the world to poke its head into the story, and it's not surprising to have Blight be the first character to do so.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
Not open for further replies.