1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Worm Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NoxedSalvation, Nov 12, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Goblin Queen is hilarious, at times. The author said somewhere that he had an arc planned where some sort of reconcilliation takes place between Emma and Taylor (Arc: Regret) and I'm looking forward to that. Other than it's, it's like bland chocolate: not to good for you, nor very tasty, but it'll do in a pinch.

2. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Goblin Queen is reasonably enjoyable. I worry that, if only due to his posting habits, the story will go the same way that GreggHL's go; fun first few chapters, but then the good quips run out and the serious lack of quality control kicks in. I remain cautiously optimistic though

3. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

4. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Amused how Taylor interpreted Coil having that phone as him being a PRT setup. From the end it looks like she's gonna hold back and investigate more, but if Tt's clued into Taylor's surveillance somehow I can see her trying to subtly bring down Coil using Taylor or something.

If she keeps thinking Coil's some PRT wetworks kind of guy, I can see her meeting up with him being all 'Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, need a hand cleaning up the city?' Or maybe not, with Dinah there.

5. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

My biggest problem with Neurocracy: Taylor's power is too strong.

At first I thought telepathy was her only power and I considered it to be a very strong one.
    Then, she also got the strength, endurance and regeneration of her enhanced body.
    Now, she can also do what Regent does, only better?

6. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I had a dream last night of a fusion between NBC's revolution and Worm. Skitter was the main character and Golem was her brother. Twas strange. That being said, I think it would make an interesting fusion. Tinkers might be a little limited, but I could see some cool steampunk tinker gear coming into play, maybe with other tinkers trying to restore the power or secretly still having it.

7. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

The Dragon and the Dark Lord is really good, probably my third favorite Worm story after Bug on a Wire and Cenotaph. Canon Taylor wakes up stuffed in her locker and discovers she's now literally a dragon. Only about an arc and a half so far, but lots of Clockblocker (@Ash) and other heroes, who think she's a Case 53. (She's not. She's a motherfucking dragon.)

I also like the characterization of her father so far, will be interesting to see where that goes. My only complaint is the dialogue, which seems slightly OOC at times, but it's a small thing.

Also, people calling Taylor "T".

4/5 overall.

Cenotaph is excellent. I think I prefer the plot of Bug on a Wire, but the writing and characterization in Cenotaph comes damn close to Wildbow at times. 5/5

Neurocracy is... meh. I love the characterization of Legend, it almost makes up for the story's flaws. The opening sequence with Bonesaw is great, too. But I don't think the author has put enough thought into Taylor's power, or the changes he's making to how powers work. 3/5

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  8. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Neurocracy has its upsides and downsides. I like most of the characters in it except his takes on Taylor and Glory Girl (even spaz!Emma is pretty fun, in a horrible way). The problem is Taylor and Glory Girl are the main characters. :( (I like both their canon versions a lot, I just don't really like those two in this fic.)

As for Goblin Queen it's kind of hard to get into but after I read through the first arc I started liking it more (it helps that it's one of the only fics with the Undersiders/Coil being prominent, and it looks like their role will increase). I don't like this latest development with the Coil item duplications much though, it seems like it'll either be too underutilized or too powerful at the expense of other things being cool.

No one has mentioned Fucking Tinkers (Worm/SAO) by violetshadows yet, and I've been liking that. One of my favorite canon characters is the Administrator Shard though, which may have something to do with it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  9. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I saw that on spacebattles and considered reading it but I have no idea what the fuck 'SAO' is. Some googling tells me the most likely explanation is 'Sword Art Online'? What is that and would I still enjoy the story without having read/watched/played SAO?

10. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

As far as I can tell it was some kind of japan graphic novel involving people trapped in a malicious video game. I didn't really know what it was when I read it, and neither did Taylor so it was all pretty chill. I get the sense canon characters of it are appearing but I didn't know who any of them were and it didn't really hamper me understanding what was going on.

11. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Yeah, all I know about SAO are from Lamora's fic (and the infamous "2 years of semen" line) but I can follow along just fine

12. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

That's basically all you need to know about SAO anyway.

13. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Having now gotten a quick summary from a friend with well, less discerning tastes I can say with some certainty that SAO is not something I'd ever enjoy reading the source material of. Godspeed to those of you who can spin it into gold however

14. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The Dragon and the Dark Lord is interesting but it is one of those stories that only get updated once in a blue moon with rather short updates, which does hamper the enjoyment a bit.

Fucking Tinkers is awesome, even if you don't know all that much about SAO (which is one of those unfortunate anime with a great premise, meh execution and huge let-down halfway through the season) and I can see all sort of fun things happening there.

15. fire

fire Order Member

16. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Now that this fic has gotten it’s own thread on spacebattles, I can finally recommend it.

http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/propagation-worm.277319/

Propagation: Taylor gets Eden’s / an entity’s shard powers upon triggering.

It’s really good so far, though it’s only getting started. I’m a bit worried on how the author will handle all of Taylor’s Mary Sue powers, but we'll see how that goes.

17. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Yeah, I was reading that last night and so far it's really good. They've changed a fair bit up too rather than keep thing relatively close to the original, which I think is pretty interesting.

Apart from what you mentioned with Taylor's pretty ridiculous power set (although I suppose in the end it isn't too much worse than Eidolon's... maybe) my only concern is the setting being in Los Angeles. Blackguard and the Procterate heroes we saw was a good start but it remains to be seen whether the author can keep up the quality Wildbow did when creating an entire city of superpowered individuals, especially on the scale of a city like LA.

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Who the fuck is Eden?

19. theronin

theronin Order Member

Eden was the name given to Scion's partner.

20. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I didn't know either. I don't remember the name "Eden" ever appearing in the text.

Google found the answer. It seems that Wildbow tagged Contessa's interlude with "Eden" and I assume that's where the second entity's name is sourced from. https://parahumans.wordpress.com/tag/eden/

If you skip the tags, like I do, then you'd probably never know its name.

Not open for further replies.