1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended fanfiction - From barely readable to almost good

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ip82, Jan 14, 2006.

Not open for further replies.
  1. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

I read it..and i will keep reading it for Bella and Tonks.

2. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

For what it's worth, Ragnok was the name of the goblin Bill was trying to get help/assistance from in OotP. Whether he's the head or a leader isn't clearly stated, but he was the one Dumbledore had Bill talking with.

Might be the same as Ragnok the Pigeon Toed, a goblin rights activist and author according to the lexicon.

As far as I know, that's the closest thing to a reference to a specific goblin with much standing in goblin society.

3. DarkPhoenix2500

DarkPhoenix2500 Second Year

Agrees, with HP/BB pairings >_> id rather gave what i can get, though i still say that if you want that pairing >_> you need harry to be insane for it to really work, but alas >_> beggars cant be choosers >_> i just felt like saying that ANYWAY, take away the cliches <_< and the story would prolly be alot better

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: Second Chance
    Author: ImmortalKing
    Summary: During Harry fourth year after he was transported from the last task at the tri-wizard championship Harry duel with Voldermort may possible give him hope that he isn't all alone.(Alternate reality)
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1972195/1/

Another story where Harry gets transported in alternate reality, where he was killed as a baby but his parents survived. The only difference here is that Sirius and Voldemort somehow got transported along with him, but everything else is the same: Disbeleif, meet the parents, angst, sappines, meet Ron and Hermione, acceptance... ?... and then the story gets abandoned coz the author never planned two steps ahead the initial plot bunny.

5. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Title: Loss of Innocence
    Author: Ioci
    Summary:Harry has much to think about this holiday: a crazed wizard, the death of Sirius, the Prophesy, and NO notes from ANYONE. Harry just wants it to end. But should Harry really be looking forward to a year filled with surprises when many of them aren't good?
    Link:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2477048/1/

The author can write, however this story has so many damn cliches it's sickening: Harry falls in love with ginny impossible quick, is super rich, biased against the dark arts, and grieves sirius' death way too much, also he fights with ron. Then again i only read till the tenth chapter so i might be wrong..

6. DarkPhoenix2500

DarkPhoenix2500 Second Year

I tried reading that one and the sequel, but his format was just <_< couldnt read it at all

7. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: All it Takes
    Author: neopyro
    Summary: AU. Starts out when Harry is age four. Harry wakes up to find something wrong with the Dursleys. Little does he know that this will change his life forever.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2655237/1/

Harry is adopted by Moody story.

First two chapters showed potential but the rest was crap. Characterisation and plot development zoomed past "bad" and quickly reached the state of "surreal".

It seems that the main point of this story is to repeat one same pirate joke over and over again.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: misplaced trust
    Author: lord fayt
    Summary: dark!harry,veela!harry. those closest to harry have betrayed him.... and he's pissed! I suck at summaries so just read and R&R! rating for language and violence
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2731180/1/

I've read only 2 chapters of this before being unable to take it any more.

In chapter one: 1) Harry learns that Sirius was in fact a bastard who raped his mother 2) Learns that he's Veela (with wings and all) 3) Starts hating Dumbledore with passion. This is all in 3 hours after learning the prophecy, mind you.

In chapter two, Harry demands of Fudge to exempt him from all laws in exchange for public support. He's for some reason just thinking how he is acting like a Slytherin, when he stumbles upon Arthur Weasley.

I'm sorry, but I really couldn't go on. Even if stupid subplots and ridiculous tempo weren't enough, bad writting style and A/N inside the story text were enough to kill any wish I might have to see the remaining 4 chapters.

If it got better further down the line, feel free to correct me.

9. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    I think i have read that one*shudder* :shock:

10. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Title: Harry Potter:Lone Traveler
    Author: The Proffesional
    Link:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2673584/1/

SUMMARY

After spending half his life trying to rid the world of Voldemort, Harry Potter finally succeeds. However, the price has been high. Too high. Unfortunately, when Harry risks his life to go back and ‘do things right’, something goes wrong.

This is pretty good although it has a couple of plot holes and is unfortunatly Harry/Ginny. It just isn't good enough.

11. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I remember this one. A poster child for this thread, IMO.

It has very interesting idea and a solid writting style, but overall realisation simply isn't interesting enough to keep readers' attention.

It's like Nonjon's "Hopping for begginers", only without humor and kick-ass main character and cool atmosphere - take that away and you get a pretty dull piece of fiction. And then, there's that whole Ginny issue to consider too...

12. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    one just has to ask, what is it with trunks like Moddy's in fics, whats so bloody special about them, how is having a cool trunk with a bunch of compartments going to help you train or defeat voldie??????

13. Quack

Quack Second Year

I think he should stick to his 'The Guys'. It's pretty good, very good for the Harry Potter not the Boy Who Lived type stories, actually.

They usually make it into some kind of house. But really, there's no need. Maybe a 3 compartment truck for books, magical items and weapons, and clothes. But everything else isn't really necessary.

14. Mordecai

High Score:
    Title: The Warrior Mage
    Author: Lolly Pheonix
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1610433/8/
    Summary: Ok, this is yet another 'Harry has extraordinary powers' story. Hopefully a little different to the others. New characters included.

My opinion: it has just about everything I could look for in a fic, good solid writing style, powerful but not overdone Harry, well written characterisation, and an independant streak in Harry. Unfortunately, this latest update was 8 months in coming, and I'm betting something similar will happen for the next chapter, maybe 6 months or so.

15. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

You know back when I would read and like every HONKS fic I could find, I loved that one. Ridiculous over the top super-ness, but still enjoyable. I could even suspend disbelief on the idea that Harry is the most crazy powerful warrior mage wizard thing ever, and still needs to pretend to be Voldemort's ally acting as a secret agent. Common sense says, 'umm... just kill him?' but this fic skips that part. But then the fic went and got worse and worse towards more emotions, like Tonks wanted him to stop, and calling off the wedding, and Harry hurting himself, or not healing himself if you prefer, and blah blah blah. Don't really want to read the updates now. Maybe when it's done I will, but this fic just turned into the perfect sort of thing for this thread where I can't stand so many good ideas being drug down by a fanfic dash of thick and juicy feces.

And this is the same author that got me to read and like a Harry/Ginny fic where they raise triplets they didn't know they have! Nowadays, I can't even finish reading a summary about something like that. So blah. Yeah. I'll second Warrior Mage as somewhere between barely readable and almost good. And I wonder if I could even read Birthday Surprises and still stomach it these days (thats the triplets, H/G got a 33434832483029 on a twue wuv compatibility test fic).

16. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yeah, I remember reading first few chapters, but it seemed like a crap to me (never could get into the whole Warrior city idea).

17. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: Going Back to Fix the Past
    Author: angelfirelord1818
    Summary: AU: After sixth year, Harry can't take it anymore and wishes to fix the past. He makes a wish to go back to his first year, hits the world as a fifth year in an 11 year old's body. DarkIndependant Harry. UPDATE
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2511596/1/

Another one of those fics where the older Harry gets transported into the body of his younger self.

Original thing here is the whole Dark & Independant aspect - in other stories like this Harry is usually emotional wreck pining after the rednecks and crying like a bitch at the sight of the stalker. Not here - he seemingly hates everyone but Sirius & himself.

Downside is... well pretty much everything other than the summary. Poor writting style, non-existant characterisation, insane tempo and completely ridiculous plot directions are completely ruining any appeal this story might have.

I mean, Harry is home after HBP and he suddenly says something like: "... and I hate that beaver-head and carrot-top - they're always trying to show off and put me down!" I'm being serious here!

And then he takes Knight Bus, which is full and the only seat available is between Dumbledore and Snape! Whom then he proceeds to yell at and berrete, practically giving away his whole plan.

And then he floo's over to Azkaban, stuns ONE Auror at the reception desk and draggs Sirius from his cell back to the fireplace!

This shit would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Seriously, the only thing keeping this crapfest from "Awesomly Bad" thread is Dark&Independant&Bashing twist on the old "back in young body" plot.

18. Mordecai

High Score:
    i am actually following this fic, and i would agree it fits in here just above barely readable

19. Mordecai

High Score:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2712065/1/

Harry Potter: The Lightning Mage

its basically jsut a rehash of all the old super power independant harry cliches, but what makes it slightly readable is it at least has quite a good writing style.

it may have been abandoned, updated twice in 2 days then never more, last updated in december, I think the guy had a problem with flames.

Only 2 chapters, though they aren't overly short, not massive either

Ships: Harry/FemBlaise

20. fatal

fatal Backtraced

The Lone Traveller one entertained me for a while but it just keeps going...and going...and going..

Not open for further replies.