1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended fanfiction - From barely readable to almost good

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ip82, Jan 14, 2006.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

I really liked Chilords fragments, both HP & Naruto ones. The latest one, crackfic magical flying pirates was very amusing without trying to force the humor, I really really liked it.

2. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Shifters http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4509762/1/Shifters
    The last few minutes of Lily Potter's life have unexpected consequences. HP/NT. Rated M for safety. Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Adventure/Romance - Chapters: 6 - Words: 46,563 - Reviews: 133 - Updated: 1-24-09 - Published: 8-30-08 - Harry P. & N. Tonks

I stumbled across this fic this morning and was pleasantly surprised. It's a Post-GoF fic, and while it might not be mind-blowingly original, it's a nice breath of fresh air.

The writing is clear and concise, and I haven't noticed many grammar errors. However, it's not been updated since January and is a little short (only 6 chapters), which are the main reasons I don't want to put it in for review. A July note on the author's page says the next chapter is half-finished.

The Harry/Tonks is a plus, and the development feels fairly natural to me at this point. Not too rushed, and going through the natural stages of friendship and getting to know each other.

Anyway, check this out. It's worth a look.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  3. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

Shifters is, in my mind, a good fic, but I've always treated it to be somewhat of a guilty pleasure since I found it the other week. The interactions between Tonks and Harry swing between realistic and implausible, and at times it seems to a step away from a soul bond (Tonks having dark, ominous feelings when something happens to Harry). Overall however, I think it's Readable but not Library worthy.

4. ParseltonguePhoenix

I wouldn't quite go so far as to call it a guilty pleasure. Sure, it has its problems, though what you call a step from a soul-bond, I'd call a slight empathic link. And I'd also add that it doesn't detract from the story in any way... it's just a very slight sense of shared dreams and a feeling that something's wrong with the other person.

I disagree on the Harry/Tonks interaction being implausible, though. Excepting the empathic stuff, it seems natural and realistic to me. Slightly older girl meets younger guy who she likes from the jump, and goes out of her way to cheer him up...leading to a somewhat deeper connection. It happens every day.

Anyway, it's posted in Almost Recommended and not For Review for multiple reasons--but the biggest one in my mind is that there isnt enough story to really judge or recommend yet.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  5. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

I think that the empathic link goes a bit deeper that that because at the very beginning, Tonks dreams about Harry, his parents and Voldemort at Godric's Hollow just as it happens, and then when Harry collapses Tonks 'feels' it even though she's in London and Harry's in Scotland.

It's that which has largely pushed it to Guilty Pleasure status in my mind, as I do like the fic but the points I've made above do suggest to me a soul bond fic.

6. ParseltonguePhoenix

Fair enough point. I hope you're wrong though. In all honesty, I'm more worried about the OC with loup-garou-ish traits.

7. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

New Beginnings » by PeaceThroughSuperiorFirepower
    Dumbledore said that Tom Riddle and Harry Potter shared many similarities. What if the memory from the infamous diary tried to use this?What if Tom Riddle the Shade and Harry Potter became one in the same?

The fic has a Harry and Fleur pairing. There is only three chapters so far, but it is going good.

8. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    It's been awhile since I put a story up here. I ran across this one recently:

Lost Hope by Adari
    The plan was perfect. The execution was even better...but they all forgot to consult the Sorting Hat who had its own views. After all, what can you expect from the hat which contains all four founders? Harry Potter - Rated: T - English - General - Chapters: 19 - Words: 64,193 - Reviews: 466 - Updated: 2-10-09 - Published: 2-20-08 - Harry P. - Complete

My take: The summary is not very good. What you don't get is that it's another Harry-sorted-into-Slytherin first-year story, though one that is very surreal. Essentially everyone is turned-upside-down OOC, which wouldn't work normally, but does in this story.

In time, Harry becomes a leader in Slytherin, albeit one who's a bit spacey at times and low on self-preservation instincts. His special gift is that for hexes don't seem to affect him much. His sorting into Slytherin sets all of the "Light"-minded folks in the school against him in open aggression that escalates throughout the story. Harry's persistence in the face of this sets into motion events that lead to a tragic end for one of the central characters. The way Harry ultimately dispatches Voldemort is bizarre, yet works in the context of this story.

Warning: Harry and Draco are friendly. Villains of the original series (excepting Voldemort) are sympathetic; many heroes are unheroic. The Sorting Hat and the Hogwarts castle itself are active characters in this story.

Lost Hope is generally written well and engaging, done in a style and tone that evokes Pynchon. My only complaint is that the final chapter/epilogue shifts tone too much from rest of the story and left me feeling a little disappointed (not in the outcome, mind you, but in how tidy everything worked out to be).

I think it's borderline Library-worthy, but the surreal, absurd humor, OOCness, and sympathetic Malfoys and Snape will turn enough people off that I'm hesitant to put it up for review. Still, it's complete, which is itself an accomplishment.

Tl;dr summary: 4/5 from me as a story; 3/5 as a recommendation to DLP readers.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Well, look what I found! Something for enthusiasts --

Like A Dark Lord Only Crunchy » by Dark Lord Pandmus Maximus Jr
    Harry lost everything. A new world beacons with a 2nd chance. Parents are alive and he has a Sister. Forbidden love between two unloved Siblings blossoms. Harry is on cloud 9, but it wont last. Au Not A Children Story,Smut,torture.Rated 4 Bella\Harry ch2
    Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - General/Drama - Chapters: 9 - Words: 52,461 - Reviews: 25 - Updated: 8-30-09 - Published: 6-6-09 - Harry P.

To say that right now, the idea is the best thing of the story, and I mean that. So if you don't care for it, all you'll find is shitty grammar, not very awesome writing, and more typical shortcomings of someone's first story ever. Although the writing does improve, towards the end; you can see the author figuring things out on the way.

Were I to rate it unbiased, it'd be a 2/5, perhaps. But Harry/Kaitlyn (love that name, by the way) make the last chapters rate over 9000. This story is totally beyond any form of measurement, it's my personal :awesome/5.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  10. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

11. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I like Shifters. It’s maybe even above guilty pleasure status given the strong writing style.

And I don’t get the Like a Dark Lord but Crunchy title. The guy was going for quirky but wound up with retarded. Now no one’s going to take the story seriously even before they see the god-awful writing itself.

12. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Dark Creatures » by Victorules
    At the cost of his human "purity", Harry becomes an important member of the Order. Vampires, veelas, werwolves and possibly other creatures. Rated for some blood, some gore, some language, and some sexual content.
    Rated: M - English - Adventure/Romance - Chapters: 5 - Words: 17,226 - Reviews: 37 - Updated: 9-14-09 - Published: 9-7-09 - Harry P. & Fleur D.

The beginnings of a Vampire!Harry that isn't slash. Starts of slowly at the Ministry Battle, which I kinda skimmed, and Harry visiting the vampires is a stupid move, but that doesn't matter as he gets to know a hawt female vampire who tries to kill him. Put that into your story, and I forgive you just about anything. Kiss & Stupefy FTFW.

I now ship Harry/SexyKillerVampiress and have the urge to read more Vampire!Harry stories -- knowing that 99,9% suck, that this will frustrate me, and thus I'll end up with getting a bunch of random ideas to write my own, for which I don't have the time. Ack. :/

13. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2218076/1/States_of_Disar 8-24-09 - Published: 8-23-09 - Harry P. & OC

2. States of Disarray » reviews
    When a Certain B.B shows up on privet drive with nothing but good intentions. Harry escapes the dursleys with help from an unusual assortment of friends. Features Dark but Good Harry. Harry Bella Tonks Cissa pos. more Eventually X-men Evo crossover XD ENJ
    Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Adventure/Humor - Chapters: 12 - Words: 27,595 - Reviews: 146 - Updated: 8-23-09 - Published: 1-13-05 - Harry P.ray

First few sentences are pretty pedestrian, Harry and the Dursleys in the car, but then it completely blows up in your face.

It's a super-crack story, I can't fucking grasp it. It just forces my mind to shut down.

14. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Thread is getting massive. New Thread time.

Not open for further replies.