1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

Hit and miss, I think.

2. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Harry Potter, A Slytherin in Gryffindor

Summary: In order to survive living with a family like the Dursleys and come out mentally balanced I deem it to be essential to develop quite a few Slytherin qualities. This FF is not so much about bashing but a Harry that learned the necessity to observe, ask the correct questions, find answers and connect the dots.

While browsing through new stories on scryer I came across this one. So far its slow moving, but I found it to be an enjoyable read if not quite library worthy.

3. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

Not particularly.

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Second Chances By: Zaxarus
    James Potter's secret, Sirius Black's letter and a meeting with a Slytherin lady will change Harry's life forever. How will his friends and foes react when friendship and love blossom between the golden boy and the ice queen? parings HP/DG, HG/NL. Happens after the PoA. Sequel is up (HP and the Congregation of the Asp) Warning: Ron/Molly/Dumbledore bashing
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Romance/Family - [Harry P., Daphne G.] [Hermione G., Neville L.] - Chapters: 50 - Words: 271,435 - Reviews: 1,361 - Favs: 1,687 - Follows: 1,612 - Updated: Aug 27, 2013 - Published: Dec 6, 2012 - Status: Complete

I give this story the award for the greatest letdown of the year and the greatest waste of potential and opportunity since Wilhelm II became emperor of the German Empire. That was in 1888.

It's finished, it's got an unusual point of divergence, I started reading -- the first 10 chapters are good. Like, almost 4/5 quality. It's the Harry-ends-up-with-a-Slytherin-family plot device, only in decent, because the author manages to write believable family dynamics and characters, from both elder Greengrasses down to Daphne, who, while not exactly likeable (well, to you, I liked her just fine), nevertheless has motivations and a behaviour that makes sense, or, in other words, a real personality.

Then comes chapter 11 and the bashing starts. It's been a while since I got that annoyed at it. Not because it's particularly bad, as this goes (and they did state that in the summary), but because it's by definition bad character writing, and thus the exact opposite to the care that went into developing the Greengrass family.

So here you have an author who's proven he can do at least adequate characters (that is to say, what 90% of FF.net can't do), and he uses this to write caricatures. Gahhhh.

And then I skipped to the last chapter, found out Ron was re-sorted into Slytherin, Harry and Daphne share a mindlink, and evil!Dumbledore runs amuck in the school.

I rate this -9999/5 and am annoyed as I haven't been in recent times after reading a FF.

5. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

But, Sesc, if the story is that bad (which it most certainly is given that it has re-sorting, mind links and bashing), why put it even in Almost Recommended?

I get that you wish to warn us not to read it (of which I am thankful), but I thought this thread was for 3/5 stories, not stories that have particularly annoyed someone.

Granted, I may be wrong, but that was just my impression.

6. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    The first incarnation of the thread was "Almost Recommended fanfiction - From barely readable to almost good." Such a rec. would be appropriate if we were to honor the original point of the thread.

7. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Because it is Barely Readable/Almost Recommended. If it didn't have the issues, I'd recommend it outright :p

I suppose if you have the ability ignore the problems, it might be a decent enough thing to waste time.

8. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I see, I suppose if you look at it that way, it makes sense.

Still, at least the story doesn't have magical cores.

...right?

9. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

You didn't see that coming with this?

I always keep waiting to see when the Sith are gonna pop in a HP story that mentions the dark side, but they never do.

10. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

You know, I don't mind it when stories call a family "Dark", because to me that almost seems like canon: "Those [insert pureblood family] are as dark as they come."

It's when they call families light or neutral that really starts to annoy me.

11. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Enjoy. Because Hermione without a light saber is just boring.

More topically, Tsume Yuki has this story going of late, which has a setup I've not seen before: Harry, as MoD, is continually reincarnated throughout various points in history. This life he ends up as Sirius's and Regulus's older brother and tries to prevent their abuse. Told episodically, about 14k words, WIP (frequent updates lately).

Pros: vaguely interesting premise; Black family fics are a guilty pleasure of mine; the writing is unpolished, though not so much so as to be unreadable; a few of the scenes are nicely done.

Cons: Harry's an overpowered Stu with little room for character growth; the mechanics of reincarnation are inconsistent (the story is in an obvious AU, yet reference is made to Flamel encountering Harry multiple times, suggesting some continuity/overlap of timelines); the author is another cywscross and will most likely post one more chapter before moving on to the next shiny.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  12. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Oh h- oh. It's Darth Marrs. No thanks, I've already visited 4chan today and had my daily dose of rape. Appreciate the gesture though.

13. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Errr, I don't remember any non-consent in that story. Certainly some kinkiness, but not rape.

14. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

Why not create a "Fics which make me wanna puke" thread? I would enjoy filling that up and I suppose it could liven up the forum again.

P.S. "Writers whose fingers deserve to be broken" would be another helpful suggestion:)

15. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I was more referring to the author's penchant for grimdark, at least where that Firebird series is concerned.

16. CrackedMind

And in his Star Wars/HP crossover, Harry gets raped by some alien woman whose training him, who he laters rapes and then murders. I think he also rapes Tonks, at some point, and tries to make her into his slave.

Only to get the shit-kicked out of him by the other wizards, and then he becomes good and marries Luna and Hermione. It was a weird story.

17. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

See? I knew there'd be rape.

18. CrackedMind

And a harem. Those are two of the only constants you can trust, with Darth Marrs.

19. Avierh

Avierh First Year

Title: The Eyes
    Author: Shadenight123
    Pairing: Harry/?
    Rating: M
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9767473/1/The-Eyes
    Story Summary: Harry Potter saw things. Many things didn't gaze back. Harry Potter heard things. Many things didn't listen back. Five pitiful senses were not enough to gaze into the deep abyss, but with magic being magic a sixth sense is more than enough to see what humans were never meant to see. Harry Potter and the Cthulhu Mythos clash.

It's an interesting read if you've got an hour or two to spare.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  20. DC

DC Groundskeeper

You're linking to zArkham's work, the one recced above. Fix the link, maybe?

Not open for further replies.