1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Altered Destinies by DobbyElfLord - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ip82, Oct 13, 2006.

1. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Okay, I have a question. Why do things that are not rated three stars end up in the trash bin? I didn't like this story much, I thought it belonged in the trash bin, but it has a rating of 4/5. That means it doesn't belong here. So why the fuck is it here?

2. raja

raja Fourth Year

I'd assume it used to have a rating of 3/5, even though it still does, it just rounds up to four now instead of down to three. (it's 3.8/5)

3. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

And Raja spoke onto Deathinapinkboa and all that was perflexing was made clear.

4. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

This story has been shaping up very nicely 4.8/5. Mods or admins, get it out of the bin.

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Personally, I didn't like the last few chapters. I just don't see Tom Riddle turning into a worthless prankster. That's just so cliche. Not to mention hints of Harry losing magic...

4/5 at this point, with downward tendency.

6. raja

raja Fourth Year

Yeah it would suck if Harry became a squib, and yeah I'd agree that it seems to be slipping slightly, but it could, and hopefully will, still recover.

7. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

Dunno, i guess the risk of harry loosing his magic would add some nice tension.
    I prefer the "war" chapters compared to the "family-tom" chapters. Reading about a prankster tom riddle just doesnt interest me. But on the other hand he needs to be in the story as a second main character so we need SOME kind of plot.
    i guess my opinion of the story goes up and down. It's up in the chapters where the war and harry/james are the main things and down when tom's story is being told.
    i'd still give the story 4/5

8. The Lord of Chaos

The Lord of Chaos Slug Club Member

Excellent story, I really like it so far (minus the beginning). The author has a great thing going, destroy your enemies by saving them. I do appreciate that the author didn't just make Tom some innocent child after he was rescued. It's good that he still has a dark side. Though I admit it could be put to better use than pranking. I say 4/5, and I can overlook the bad beginning for the quick update rate.

:mid3

9. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I've been following this story since it came out. The writter is fairly decent, and there're no glaring errors. The plot is good, and I enjoy the Harry(James)/Tom interaction. It's a good piece of work.

4/5

10. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I didn't quite like the last chapters as much, but it's still about 3,8, so not Trash Bin material.

11. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

The opening of the fic is extremely weak, thus the reason why it was rightfully put into the Trash Bin. However, as the author improved his writing style and developed an actual plot, it slowly became rather enjoyable. Of late there are tiny signs of the Riddle part of the story drying up but the author can always fall back on Harry. Overall a rather good spin on the Grindelwald timeline and a refreshing change to the usual Voldemort!Grindelwald bullshit. About a 4.6/5 (though slightly lower if you're not a time-travel nut like I am).

12. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

Very good story. But I haven't read the last 3 chapters... Harry losing magic...
    That would suck. Let the author know we don't want that happening.
    I give it a 4.5

13. raja

raja Fourth Year

i'm glad this was added to the library instead of trash bin :)

14. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

updated. The plot is moving along, plus a rather well written fight, good chapter all in all

15. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

I continue to enjoy the story, my only recent comments to the author that are that Dumbledore is a doormat in this one. There is no hint of 'The only one he ever feared' in this one.

I'll be interested to see how he proceeds.

Jim

16. Vulkan

Vulkan Squib

Actually the author analyzes through Harry why Dumbledore might seem like this in the last 2 chapters. The previous chapter had that interesting fight between Dumbledore and Grindlewald.

I like the war related chapters. There are many sub plots within plots just like in a war. I like the snippets we see of the few new characters. None of the short term characters are over sensationalized and they are portrayed aptly. This is one part I like about this story.

There is ample coverage for both Harry and Tom and we see new forms of magic that is 'old'. There is very little about the other side but the real time scenes like the prison scenes and undercover work is all interesting. The author could have gone into more detail but hey, it is his story and it worked out pretty well.

I say I would give this story a 4.25 or 4.5 out of 5. Some parts of the story are just too realistic to be ignored.

17. Kage Buyo

Kage Buyo First Year

The best Grindelwald war fic. I really didn't care about the first couple chapters, it didn't really bother me.

The fight with Grindy and Dumbles was decent. I like that hellfire attack and the fact that it made Dumbles struggle, it is nice to see him more realistic than demi-god.

I also enjoy how James shows his backwards ministry how much out of touch they have been from the muggle world. It is a change from the usual "Wizards would pwn muggles cause they can do magic" angle.

I think the author may be setting Tom up to be the next Dumbledore figure for the wizarding world. I don't think I ever seen a fic where Tom Riddle became a figure like Dumbledore.

Anyway, I give the fic a 5/5. The beginning didn't bother me that much.

18. Hahukum Konn

Hahukum Konn Fourth Year

Just got updated today with a cliffhanger. :p

I'd give it 4/5 at this point, I think.

19. Aceera2001

Aceera2001 Squib

It got updated recently, and the plot is moving along quite nicely. I feel a resolution to the harry=squib issue coming up soon! The resolution winds down a bit hastily and I would've appreciated a bit more on the demonology subject.

4.5/5

20. Azrael's Little Helper

Azrael's Little Helper High Inquisitor

This has just been updated, featuring the final confrontation between the Count and Christina, and sadly, a very short scene of the battle between Grindelwald and Dumbledore. Not full of blasts and walking dead, just dead people, but fits in well with the overall style of the fic.