1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Ambient by Caliburn - M. AU

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Nuhuh, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Read through most of this - really like it. Great potential. Not amazing, but it's fun to read.

3/5

2. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

I would normally agree with this entirely - one of the main reasons why I like Joe's Wastelands of Time so much - but I keep having the niggling feeling that there is an overarching plot in Ambient that Caliburn's slowly revealing. To me, that is what is keeping me reading this story beyond the excellent writing and superb rhetoric.

Also, Caliburn, I am jealous - you got a review from Tinn, you lucky bastard...

3. Calz

Calz Oh, I Got the Mic Now!

"King"... Going to assume http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1571479/mohd7590 is you, considering your obsession with "Harry's a Pussy/puzzy", and the review you left on the story itself:

4. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Just read the ffn version of this, and it's excellent. The characterization is brilliant. It's got a nice noir edge to it, and it's unpredictable in a very engaging way. The atmosphere of this world reminds me of The Skitterleap and Song of the Trees. Definitely looking forward to more.

I second Amer's question - what happened to Tonks, and how did he even get her in the bank without killing her?

5/5

5. Lord Eressar

Lord Eressar First Year

I found the chaotic nature of post-cataclysmic England and the lunacy of its inhabitants exquisite. The only thing better than that in the story is the fact that, not only, slytherins act like it (as it should always be), but Harry's character actually promotes it.

5/5

6. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

A question, but what is 'it'? Lunatic?

7. Anomie

Anomie First Year

The story's awesome. My only gripe is the characterization of Narcissa, which I think needs a little more fleshing out. Love Pansy in this too.

Overall I'd say a solid 4/5.

8. Calz

Updated, twice on PC, once on FF.net to catch everything up. Going to try and be more up to date with this stuff, but big stuff coming. Oh, and a halfassed answer to the wonderings about muggle/magical relations in the update after this one.

9. Calz

Updated again. No answer on the muggle thing as much as expected, but some big things happen.

10. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Brilliant story.

Characters were engaging and unique - probably the best part of the story was your wide range of characters - how different people evolved in such a world. Harry was well done, story line came together nicely, and a very epic and bittersweet ending that I felt was a glorious sum of what this Harry was supposed to be.

I think that's enough slurping for now... and I managed it even despite what happens to Daphne :(

Seriously though, well done, Cal, well done. 5/5

11. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Just caught up with the two latest chapters, Caliburn, and it's continuing to hold my interest. Your characterizations are unpredictable and enthralling.

I have to admit, though, that I no longer have any clue what's going on. I know who's out to get Harry and (sort of) why, but the reasons behind Harry's behavior are now absolutely mystifying. Why does he keep having these mysterious encounters with female characters like Ginny, Tonks, and Fleur? I don't see how they fit in with the larger plot.

12. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

They are all links to his past, and the only people left that he slightly gives a damn.

Caliburn, the story is just as confusing now as when I started reading it, and I see no signs that this will change in the near future. Regardless of all that, the story is really good, and the mistery does it job of keeping the reader involved with the story. Of course, Romilda does an even better job of it.

Moar, now!

13. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

He updated - Chapter 14. Great stuff throughout, now that the introductory confusion is gone and replaced with a sense of wanting to see Romilda decapitate/slice and dice/choke to death with seatbelts a whole lotta people. Nice little moments with Demelza and Susan, not to mention the continual Harry/Pansy stuff, which is nice and kinda sweet in its own way.

14. Oneiros

Oneiros Groundskeeper

Updated. Will be back later with review.

Edited to add review:

Nice chapter. Over all I loved the execution. It was a very well planned targeted attack on an opponent's weak spot. The fallout from this event should be very interesting to see. No doubt the defenders will be scattered and confused which is a perfect opportunity for them to be hurt more so that when they finally do get back together they will be weaker than ever.

I wonder if this will truly be the end for Narcissa though. I mean she has lost a lot thus far. There is no doubt public opinion will be against her, but I fear she will most likely escape and go underground. She seems like a survivor. Though I do wish this would end up leading to her final demise.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  15. The Greek

The Greek Second Year

I'm confused... Why the hell would Harry do such a thing?

He made himself the biggest target in Britain and for what? To show Muggles that yes, there is that big a difference between them and wizards?

So freaking what? What will they do? Exterminate all wizards? That seems a bit unlikely. Not that they're not able, just that it takes more than a raising of a cottage to form up mobs and go whistling to perform genocide.

I liked Romilda as always, the hotel room scene is epic, but I didn't quite get the point of the finishing scene.

Anyway, I hope we see the consequences for Harry, too, besides Narcissa.

16. Calz

The Greek: Read the chapter again, or the part where he comments on her money scheme, as well as where the money ends up going.

If the muggles think that wizards can just magically create houses, then they're going to wonder why Narcissa wanted the money in the first place. Then there's a lot of questions as to what she has done with it, which, as has been established, is use it for personal gain. Harry has done the most dangerous thing someone can do to another person who isn't working on the right side of the law. Sic the press on them.

17. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

I liked it, but I think Harry could've done something different and better. A two-story house is impressive, but you can't see all the immediate difficulties in making it just by looking at it. If he sprouted a mountain from nowhere, however, I think the muggles may have been even more impressed (unless he actually plans on using said house, of course). Or conjured a big dog, and then transfigured it into a dragon. Something totally surreal, that transends normal human ability.

18. Red_Hourglass

Red_Hourglass First Year

Ummm, Juggler. Harry didn't make the house. He brought down the wards and exposed the house.

19. Calz

Incorrect.

Well, he did something that transcended what was supposed to be magical ability. And the creation of a house is incredibly relevant, moreso than anything else.

Mountains are great, but people can't live in them. And with hundreds losing their homes in one swoop in chapter 13, and Narcissa trying to get herself rich off of promises of "Rebuilding" in 14, short of making a lot of houses at one time, this was the perfect thing for him to do.

20. Red_Hourglass

Red_Hourglass First Year

I stand corrected