1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

An idea, needs constructive critisism.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sepanto, Dec 14, 2005.

?

Is it worth writing?

1. Yes

99.4%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Get the fuck away from the keyboar before we spew.

0.6%
  1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yes, that's a big loophole.

If you're doing manipulative Dumbledore, you could have some Order member following him all the time and 'steering' fans away from Harry (and those few incidents being just lapses in security).

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

This story could be great with all the ideas we have thrown in. Is someone gonna take it up?

3. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I think Sepanto is writing but wanted some advice before he actually started. Regardless of who writes it it's a great idea. I hope to read it someday.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I know I said i'd continue to write my other story til I finish it but this story is really reeling me in... I like the ideas and where it will eventually end up... ARGH! Stupid plot bunnies.

5. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

The bit about the protections that I don’t thing anyone has picked up is that no-one with ill intent can touch Harry. Not even Vernon.

Remember in OotP when Vernon ‘tried’ to grab him by the neck and got a shock. Just imagine if he tried to hit Harry? I personally don’t think that it could happen, thus why the books only mentions verbal abuse. But I’d have to check that out more and find the correct quotes to be completely certain. I know I’ve heard mention of a broken bone once, but I haven’t found it in the books, so I take it as something, someone made up.

Now, the run ins that Harry had before Hogwarts were with fans, and thus didn’t pose any true threat to Harry. I would imagine from what I know of the protections, that while he lived full time with the Dursley’s, he couldn’t even be approached by someone with ill intent.

But I could do a more in depth check and look for the mentions of the protection in the book, so that you know what I mean.

6. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

Yeah, I have a rabid bunny sending Harry to Beabaxtons (sp?) and it’s been bothering me for a few days now. Just ask Lord Ravenclaw, It sort of jumped at me…I just hope it won’t bare its teeth anytime soon…

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

That being the case, how is it that Dudley and his friends were able to beat on Harry all the time during his childhood? Dudley does have Lily's blood through Petunia, but his friends don't fall under that category, and they certainly had ill intent when they held him down so Dudley could pound on him. Also, if the blood protections were so omnipotent, then Snape wouldn't have been able to attack Harry in the sixth book, nor would Draco have been able to injure him as he did on the train.

8. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

Um... Petunia smashed Harry's head in with a frying pan in book 2. I think that qualifies as "ill intent." (This was right after Harry scared Dudley by wiggling his fingers and saying 'abracadabra,' or some nonsense.)

Edit: Oops. Sara said it.

I'm rather tempted to write an AU right now....

9. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Along with the dementor's attacking Harry in OOTP. It's assumed that if the blood protections only immediatley covered the hosue and the yard, then Harry would of been confined indoors all his life. What were they, a few blocks down from his house when they got attacked?

10. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

An idea? maybe "the diary" falls into harry's hands and turns him against the muggles?

11. Midknight

12. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I don't think it can. Voldemort has trouble fifth year and that is with fifty years more experience, and with such similar backgrounds the diary may feel some sort of kinship with him and if the Diary doesn't talk to anyone else then it would not know about what happened to its elder self, but yeah I could really see the Diary as a good instructional tool with its ability to pull Harry into its memories, it could teach Harry most of Hogwart's schooling, and it being not under Dumbledore's watch it may be a better schooling then Harry would have had.

But, yeah the only rub is how the Diary gets into Harry's hands so early. I don't know myself.

13. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

The diary could have been found in a ministry raid on Malfoy Manor during the first fall of Voldemort. That way it doesn’t have anyone to write in it and tell it what happened. At witch point it’s just a thing of portraying a corrupt Ministry and it being ‘misplaced.’

If written correctly it could work, but I still don’t know how it could reach Harry’s hands. It could be that it was pawned and Harry finds it. It could be that the person that ‘stumbled’ into the diary also happens to run into Harry. It could be that some simple ‘weak minded’ wizard steals it from the ministry and the 16 year old soul of Tom makes him deliver the Diary to Harry.

There are lots of possibilities, and if you take into consideration the sketchy timeline on the prophecy and when it was spoken and what information the diary has, then it could very well work out. Now, the motives that the diary has to be taken with Harry are another thing.

But that’s what’s interesting about the idea, right?

14. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

The diary idea is a good one. I like it.

Maybe Malfoy Snr gets rid of it because he thinks Voldemort isnt coming back and it ends up in a muggle secand hand goods store because to pretty much everyone, its just a normal muggle diary.

Just an idea.

15. Midknight

Hrm or just have it place a very strong attraction charm on it of some sorts so it always winds up in the hands of a parseltongue.

16. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

That could work.

17. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

Maybe harry really wanted a diary, and because it was so bloody old the shopgiver gave it to him for free.