1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

an inconvenience by KaleidoKai - M - ASOIAF/Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by Ackner, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Ackner

Ackner First Year

Title: an inconvenience
    Author: KaledioKai
    Rating: M
    Genre: Romance
    Fandom: ASOIAF/Game of Thrones
    Pairings: Jon Snow/Arya Stark
    Summary:
    He had always wanted someone to share his thoughts with, and that is exactly who he was given.

Link(ao3) - https://archiveofourown.org/works/12189768

Or Jon and Arya meet at a tourney for the first time and find themselves opening up to each other: mind, body, and soul. Not on purpose, of course.

Since there seem to be a lot of people who constantly gripe about the lack of readable fics from this fandom, I thought I would add a few of my favorites.

This fic is slow burn fluff that takes place in an AU where Jon is Rhaegar's trueborn son, and part of the Targ royal family. The AU is however by no means the focus of the story, and is merely a device by which the author can make these characters meet for the first time with preexisting opinions of each other. Don't go into this expecting Jon to be a master politician/swordsman, he's mainly a moody, lonely teen who dislikes his royal heritage.

The plot device that ignites the fic is this link between Jon and Arya which allows them to see and hear each others thoughts. No cringey bathroom jokes here, not to worry. The fic attempts to build some lore around this connection, and there are some evident fairytale fantasy themes, especially with the whole Cassandra Reed and Rhaegar stuff, and how it fits in to a medieval setting.

The characterizations are pretty on point for what the author is trying to achieve. Like I said, Jon is a very different person here, and his invented characteristics are pretty consistent and he doesn't have any incredibly special qualities beyond the normal good guy stuff like being empathetic and stuff. A way to put it would be he's like how Harry Potter would operate in a magical society with no prophecy. Arya is written well, she has all her canon characteristics without being too in your face about it.

All that said, this fic is not excellent by any means. You will find reading this, that at many points, there's not really a lot happening, no very well developed mysteries/intrigues. The author is only now slowly beginning to dive deeper into the lore behind the connection, and it's been strongly hinted at several times that certain characters like Jaimie, Rhaegar know what's going on/experienced it themselves. They are yet to do anything substantial though. While I commend the fic for being brilliant at it's best, with it's exuberant depictions of young love between the protagonists, it is a VERY slow burn. Just when you think a major event is going to drive things along, the protagonists are taken out of it/avoid it.

Overall, a decent read, as long as you're willing to merely glaze over the filler, lackluster parts. Takes it's own time to develop it's characters, and doesn't care much for the high fantasy/adventure elements you'll find in most ASOIAF fics. It's giddiness and exuberance come off irritating at times, but this is to be expected from a slow burn feel good teen romance.

2.5 rounded off to 3/5 for the story's high points.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021