1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

An Unusual Political!Harry Plot Twist

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Mordecai, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And nice whoring post Vendo...is this the convention of n00b actions over here or something: necro then pointless whoring post.

2. Kage Buyo

Kage Buyo First Year

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, but I had a thought.

I think everyone forgot that there was people in America before Europe. There was the Native Americans. As with every other civilization there had to be magical people from the Indians. Maybe they created their own magical government seperate from their non magical kin, or maybe they worked with each other. Indians were known to do dances to influence the wheather and have emotional links to animals so I don't think they used wands.

However, the Indians were highly seperated into many tribes so it would be hard to create a government. The only thing I could think of would be they had their own version of the Wizengamet(sp?) that was made up of a representative of each tribe.

I imagine that if European witches and wizards came over and tried to colonize America just like their muggle counterparts the magical Indians would fight. Or maybe the Indians accepted the "Wand wavers" and they learned from each other. There are many possibilites.

As for racism in the magical world; you have to look at it at a different angle, do not base skin color as a form of racism in the magical world. Instead think about the other beings in the wizarding world. Aren't Goblins, House Elves and Centaurs the victims of Racism? You could argue that they are animals, but they are intelligent beings of a race.

3. Mordecai

High Score:
    http://www.ficwad.com/viewstory.php?sid=59258

Yes, its a DrT fic, however, I do like the way it sets up Magical America. Seems highly realistic and well balanced to me. It has its own problems, not the same ones specifically as Britain does, but similarish. Rather than a radical elite of society that wants cast everyone else out, it has distinct sectors of Society. The largest is the Old Believers, who follow the old Celtic religions, the Druidic ones, and exclude any non believers from their ranks. Even within them there are different Sects, ranging from Open, who mingle freely with everyone else including muggles, to the Hidden, who live in hidden settlements in medieval conditions and don't have contact with anyone outside of their settlement. Also, the majority of high positions in the Confederation (name for Magical North America) government are held by Old Believers. Then there are the Old Colonials, who were the first wizarding families. There are also Purebloods, though not as many of them.

There are also Native Americans, but they are outside the Confederation. Allied with it certainly, but not a part of it.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

This might be a little late as this discussion seems dead, but the idea of Wizards traveling with their Muggle counterparts to unknown lands might be canon-friendly.
    It seems they came to New Zealand with Captain Cook. Maybe he was a wizard too, who knows?

HP Lexicon are normally correct, but I'm not sure where they got this information from. Maybe one of those other books JKR put out between GoF and OotP on Magical Creatures and Quidditch.

Information found here and here.

5. Ascania

Ascania Second Year

Quidditch through the Ages chapter 8 - it's what the (QA8) means.

6. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Well since this thread has already been throughly necro'd and reanimated I guess I can add this bit that I've wanted to say ever since I saw it...

Who says America (The Colonies, either here or elsewhere) are more progressive than England? Why wouldn't it be a better assumption to think things are less progressive over in the New World than they are at home? Dumbledore's faction truly only a very small and radical sect of politics?

I ask because in nearly every fic I've seen with an American scene the Americans are nearly always superior to their British counterparts, and its almost always attributed to the more tolerance towards muggles\werewolves\vampires\etc in that country which leads to better inventions, more productivity, etc.

Just some food for thought...

--bornagainpenguin

7. Amberion

Amberion First Year

Not sure why you posted that since it had nothing to do with the rest of your post. But I will respond to it anyway.
    Not sure I would classify Homo habilis as people. Even scientist debates on wether that one should be in the homo cathegory or moved to australopithecus cathegory.

I agree with you how America is always portayed in a better light. It's probebly that alot of times the it's used is because the author is american. But if you look at how scared the people in America is of their own shadows, they would not tolerate people with an ability they don't have or can't control. There is a reason why 911 has been called just because cars backfireing.

To be fair though, we don't know the entire history of the magical world. Mabey the Goblins has done something in the past. Sure, some don't like magical "non-human" beeings.

But you are also forgetting that racism works 2-ways. it's not only one people that has monopoly on it. Just check how Bane considers humans, that is racism. Well, mabey racism isn't the best word, speciesism might be a better word. Since they aren't diffirent races but diffirent species. ;)

That might be hard to pull off. Alot of tribes hated eachother.

8. Wergan

Wergan Third Year

Beyond just the fact that the author is American, it largely has to do with availability. In the books England/Scotland's magical society is well fleshed out not to the depth some of us would wish but enough that conclusions and assumptions can be drawn to make a plausible society based of the information provided. Again the rest of Europe is also fleshed out, but in this case barley mostly its just in the 4th book where we can see that overall its similar to England for the major parts.

Now then your writing a story, you need a country for x purpose and you want it to be a society that is accepting of differences in magical creatures. Generally people like to work with major countries so that eliminates quite a few. So your left with for the most part China, Japan, Russia, America, Canada, Mexico, Brazil. Out of that list most people will pick Japan or America, just the logical place to pick. Now then since most writers are form America it becomes the easiest one for the to write using as a base.

Hope you guys understand where I'm coming from and can see the logic I'm using to get this. I'm not saying I'm right in all cases but quite a few I think this is just what happens.

9. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

Here's an interesting story that fits your idea somewhat.

It's more of Dumbledore v. Harry (who's a general in the British army), and the colonies aren't mentioned much.

Beginning of the Dark Wars by Marquis Black

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3418338/1/

Some weaknesses are: pure icky H/G, irrational actions on the part of the wizarding world (i.e. Snape refuses to accept Harry's superiority), and some arrogance (i.e. threatening Malfoy for just walking up to Potter).

But you get to see the British army invade Hogwarts, although I do think the author writes it too old-fashioned using the excuse of technomacy.

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  10. Mordecai

High Score:
    I've been following this for a while. Its an excellently written fic, and no it isn't too old fashioned. Think about the general time period the wizarding world is set in, even though its supposedly modern day. Advancement comes through necessity. As the author said, if there is no necessity then governments won't develop bigger weapons, since the ones they have fit the bill perfectly.

11. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Did this story come through the library at some point? I seem to remember the first page or so.

12. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Damn Belerdorhan, you beat me to the punch. I've been meaning to post this here for quite a while, I've just been lazy. Plus the, as you say, "icky H/G" is a turn off. I have a larger stomach for Harry and Ginny fics than most around here, but for cocks sake, they're just kids and they're married--BEHIND EVERYONE'S BACK, NO LESS--plus, from what I read, the reason they ever met seems shakey at best.

I mean, it is on SIYE after all. :eek:

Still, it's about the closest I've ever seen something done to what this challenge wants. The nature of the army's weaponry bothers me though--I realize that the Wizarding World is somewhat backwater, but regardless of that fact, if there are better weapons available you use them, no matter how weak the opposition is. Tanks vs Africa in World War 2 for example.

Sorry if this sounding like I was flaming your contribution, I just thought I'd give my two cents on the actual story. Good eye for finding it though.

13. Mordecai

High Score:
    They don't use more advanced weaponry because the spell cartridges don't work with more advanced weaponry. If I remember his explanation correctly, the author says that used in more advanced weapons like machine guns etc the spell cartridges break down in the barrel causing the gun to explode or something.