1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Anakin traveling back in time

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Celestin, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I've just read SW fic - Hindsight Is Not Perfect, about Vader going back in time after his death. It's rather good and left me wanting to read something similar, preferable with Anakin as a main character. Any recommendations?

2. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Unexpected Awakening was a somewhat similar idea, except with Obi Wan going back in time. Problem with it was it was pretty angsty the whole time.

3. Plothole

Plothole Fifth Year

Shattered by CWBasset is Luke going back in time. It doesn't get to the time travel until a few chapters in and the first chapter is a bit of an info dump IIRC. I don't read a lot of SW fanfiction, so I don't have a great grip on the quality standards of the fandom. The story is pretty good, other than angst and a few scenes where I couldn't help but think how annoying Anakin was. I'd recommend at least reading the first few chapters.

4. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Most Star Wars fiction is fairly average. Usually epically cheesy fics about Vader redeeming himself (by adopting his kids, joining the rebellion, or something), or just angst fests. I sometimes get into a Star Wars mood and try to read stuff, and am usually quite disappointed.

But there's a few really good fics there. Blank101's Sun of Sons Trilogy is one of my favorite fics of all time. Drive You Mild was a really good romancey one too. Not really on the whole time travel thing though.

5. Inferis

Inferis Second Year

Purgatory isn't really time travel, but I think it fits the theme you're looking for. When Vader dies, he wakes up in purgatory/limbo as his younger self. The story has an urban fantasy feel to it from what I remember.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I tried this and it was reasonably good. There is a bit more angst than I normally like but it isn't so heavy as to be a complete turn off -- there's humor and an actual plot as well.

It takes more than just a few chapters to get to the time travel. While I liked that Luke's decision was fully explored and his character established first, it did seem a bit overboard to get to the "interesting" part.

I found the story quite engaging once the time travel actually commenced. However in some ways it seemed like the story was only about to really get started when I got to the end of the updates -- fortunately the last update was in May, so it's quite possible the story is still active. It does seem to drag on a bit though -- more than it should.

I'd easily rate it a 3/5, perhaps 3.5.

Edit: I also re-read Unexpected Awakening, which I'd read previously, and enjoyed it the second time around as well. It's of similar quality -- 3-3.5/5 despite angst and a few other flaws. I'm not particularly interested in Anakin, but Obi-Wan has been my favorite for rather a while.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  7. Shymer

Shymer Third Year

Julie Horwitz wrote a pretty nice serie about what would happen if Obi-Wan didn't show up in Mustafar: basically Anakin goes with Padmé...

I know, it's not the most original idea. And there is no time travel. But we still got a mass-murderer Anakin/Vader who's trying to forget about the past and be good.

There's a few boring stuff but I would still rate it 3/5, which is quite spectacular considering the shit there is in Star Wars fiction.

About Shattered, I recommend it too. Like CheddarTrek said, when we finally get to the time travel, the story is tip top.