1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

And The Power The Dark Lord Knows Not Is...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dubrichius, Mar 5, 2006.

1. apocalypsemeow

apocalypsemeow Professor DLP Supporter

Good point, good point *Nods head* Granted, then his power could be something like having a scar on his forehead, or not having killed anyone...Oh, the possiblities!

2. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Or it could be that his power is being a wuss. I mean Voldy isnt so maybe harry's wussiness is going to save his life one day.

3. Dubrichius

Dubrichius Groundskeeper

I've just had a thought, what if the power was the ability to accept one's own mortality, and possibly even embrace it. I mean we all know that Voldie worked harder than anyone to achieve imortallity, purely because he couldn't accept that death was a natural part of life. With Harry, and the way he was brought up, it wouldn't surprise me that he had developed some form of contempt for his own existance. I've known people who have offed themselves even when living in the lap of luxury. But that's one possibility only. I still prefer my suicidebomber!Harry who knows that he can never survive the final battle with the Dark Lord.

4. noddwyd

noddwyd Third Year

hidden under the floorboards, in tiny pieces.
    the idea of a magical virus is good. It could go through destroying all the parts of the neural system that were set aside for certain emotions like hatred and murderous intent, quickly killing Voldie and many other people following. Of course the virus would have to keep changing to avoid destruction.

But the power in this case really is the fact that Harry wears his emotions on his sleeve and is 100% a reckless idiot that is not easily predictable. Really all he needs is his friends help, the horcruxes, and then kill the guy with a new bit of magic he creates himself as a kind of offshoot of the Patronus that can be used as a mortal weapon.

Dumbledore isn't telling him its 'love'. He's saying its the fact that Harry's soul is intact and powerful whereas Voldemort has barely a fraction of his intact. Also, fear is Voldemort's greatest weakness. Fear of death.

5. oldmagic

oldmagic Seventh Year

The wussisness saved his life before and including during his childhood. i mean, sure dudly isnt his bully anymore but voldermont is just a bigger bully.

6. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

I don't understand why people give the whole "Voldemort means 'flight from death' in French, so that means he is afraid of death, and that's his secret weakness" so much credence.

That's just an idea from fanon that people have perverted enough for them to think that JK did it purposely.

The name voldemort was just a jumble of letters that happened to sound intimidating. It came from his real name according to canon.

Sure, the first few times it was interesting, but after that, people are just taking it out of proportion...i doubt JK is smart enough to make a connection like that. It's just a 'scary' name, and it just so happens to mean somehting in french, if it was spaced appropriately. This is just a name.

Next thing we know, someone's gonna find that Grindelwald means "fear of dumbledore" in timbucktoo-ish, and that's gonna become another irritating concept.

7. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    LOL! then were going to have a bunch of fanfic authors talking about how great Dumbledore is scaring the Lord Grindlewald.

8. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

THAT'S IT!!!

OMFG...THAT'S THE POWER THE DARK LORD KNOWS NOT!

Da da! It's that Harry has the power to have a normal name! Nothing stupid like Grindelwald, Voldmeort or Dumbledore!

OMFG!

JK, JK, JK, you wily, wily woman. It was there all along, but we never saw it! But i'm on to you now, you tramp! Sell out!

I can imagine the final scene now:

Harry scowled at Voldemort, and said in a snotty tone "Well, you might be powerful and all, but you have a wierd name! HAH!"

Voldemort: *melts* "Aaaagh! Damn you, Potter!"

Harry: *shock* "I didn't even have to use water! Dammit! I gotta stop reading Wizard of Oz! Come on, Potter! THat's a muggle magic book, not a real one!"

Dumbeldore: *scowls* "Don't hate me cause i have a cooler name than yours. What a dumb name...Potter. How plain."

Harry: *weeps* "Well...well...well...fuck you! You call my name dumb? Your name has the word 'dumb' IN it!"

Dumbeldore: *melts* "Aaaagh! Damn you, Potter!"

Harry: *shock* "And i didn't even have to use wat- NO!!! Shut up, Potter!"

He spotted the beaver aboutto scream at him for killing Dumbledore, but before he slapped her, a sudden wave of thought struck him.

A sick grin spread on his face as he stared at the beaver hatefully.

Harry: "On the topic of wierd names, what about...HERMIONE!!!"

Beaver: *melts* "Aaaagh! Damn you, Potter!"

Harry turns to the Weasley family, who is looking at him fearfully while fighting over a knut.

He sniffs, and says: "Weasley. What a wierd name."

Weasleys: *melt* "Gurgle!"

You see, they would have said 'damn you, potter' but unfortunately the knut they were fighting over happened to crumble, and it appreas that Weasleys have a rather frightful allergy to copper.

Hah! Take that, Rowling!

9. Silent

Silent Kinky Wench

In french: "Vol" means flight or theft.
    "De" means of or from.
    "Mort" means death.
    There are multiple meanings in the first two words, so the name is just an ostentatious, flashy, and not-quite-understandable anagram for Tommy Riddle's name. It has nothing to do with his secret weakness; in fact, I wouldn't be suprised if he did it on purpose, for his title to mean "The Flight of Death".

10. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Yeah.

I know...i've done french for 6 years.

I think you're giving JK too much credit if you think she did it intentionally. I simply think that she thought up the name 'Tom Marvolo Riddle' and then turned it into an anagram, since the words 'I Am Lord' could be found in it. Then, with what she had left, she took the most intimidating sounding word.

I think it's Rorschach's Blot or Nonjon who wrote a fic where Tom Riddle is thinking up a Dark Lord name for himself. He comes up with a bunch of shitty, joke-sounding ones until he hist Voldemort.

You said that the first two words could mean something else, and that's completely correct.

If you think of the verb voler which means 'to steal', and use the other meaning for 'de', then you have what amounts to "theft of death".

It's just a coincidence, i think...i'm pretty sure JK would have mentioned it before if she honestly did it on purpose.

11. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I've looked it up, and yeah Voldemort is just an invented name, as is malfoy and she did choose them because of how they sound. Here are the sources:

12. Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon DA Member

I would think Potter's punishment for the dark lord or power he knows not would be love or hate

13. Ginny Killer 2.0

Ginny Killer 2.0 Third Year

right behind you breathing down your neck
    Hell I just think Voldemort should win lol, just imagine the hell that would cause for the readers. I mean she seems to kill one person in every book since the 4th year, why not just kill harry and end it with Voldy laughing over his corpse. Harry's to much a pansy to even try to kill Moldyshorts in canon. Hell I think it would be funny if Harry gets killed by a squib wannabe death eater in the first page of the book and that would be the whole thing. I personaly wont even read book 7 just because ever since the 2nd book Rowlings writing has gone completely down hill.

*There happy I edited*

14. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

What?

I know that this is a forum, but please remember to use punctuation marks, and the shift button.

15. Ginny Killer 2.0

Sorry, it was a bit late at night when I posted that along with most of my other posts. I am just sayign that it would be fun to have Voldemort win, it would really fuck with peoples minds.

16. That_Boy

That_Boy DLP Elite DLP Supporter

http://forums.darklordpotter.net/viewtopic.php?t=1358
    There is its, it's by nonjon and, of course, it's awesome

17. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

I thought Voldemort came from Voldemortis, the guy merlin defeated before King Arthur became gaffe...

Me too. Personally i dont think Voldemort will die. I assume the whole reason JKR hasnt made harry a bad ass legend, is because killing apparently destroys a bit of you sould with every kill. and Harry needs to be pure and perfect, for some reason.

The ideal situation would be, and if it was my series i would do it, to leave it on a cliffie. It would be so funny and leave it open to fan fiction around the world.

18. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

I like this pure idea because if it's true he can be sacrificed in a virginistic ritual to destroy Riddle...*crosses fingers*, What with his discusting ability to supposedely love more then any other being and give second chances like that old fool you never know...

19. Ginny Killer 2.0

the power he knows not is peanut butter cookies :) ( i forgot that i didnt answer the question in the post)

20. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Could it be an emotion driven spell like Avada Kedavra is for hate and the Patronus Charm is for happiness?
    Or it could be that Harry is a horcrux and the only way he'd be able to kill Voldemort was to kill himself? That's definately something Tommie-boy hasn't thought of! It could go with the nuclear terrorist!Harry :D.

Now I really am going to bed.
    Aekiel.