1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Animeeshon Fall 2014

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by coleam, Sep 18, 2014.

1. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

As a newcomer, Grisaia is actually fairly enjoyable. I guess I don't know what I'm missing lol. I plan on trying the VN sometime soon though.

2. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

So went ahead and got up to date with two other anime from this season (or can I call it last season yet?)

Parasyte is fantastic. Very similar feel to Gantz, but better than I remember it being. Great character development, great execution (animation is strong, voice acting is top notch and music is really different) and creepy as hell. One of the few anime where I look at the main characters powers and think "There's no way I'd ever want to have that.". Would recommend.

Akatsuki no Yona was a disappointment. Initially I was very excited by the concept - a shoujo historical fantasy that went for a feel more like Twelve Kingdoms than Magi (and you get that feel from the OP). The first five eps are fantastic, following Princess Yona as she escapes from the capital with her bodyguard Hak, while dealing with the fact that her childhood friend and love just assassinated her father and is now trying to kill her too (for the Greater Good of course). After that it went downhill fast, becoming more of a shoujo harem anime focusing on the weak backstories of the various "Legendary Heroes" as they join her and inevitably start to fall in love with her. Naturally, she gets a prophecy too.

3. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

I concur with Parasyte. I watched a couple of days back and damn is it good. Nice action, characters, creepy and even funny sometimes. A definite recommendation.

4. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

The plot sounds retarded on IMDB.

5. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

Take a look at anidb or Wikipedia than.

6. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Winter season seems kinda... horrible.

Man, I am not impressed by the line-up. Even worse that I do Crunchy instead of Funi, so the couple decent shows that Funimation licensed I can't watch. Bleh.

These four all airing in the same season is hilarious to me.

7. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

8. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

Shouldn't we have an "Animeeshon Winter 2015" thread?

Shows that seem semi-promising after 1 or 2 episodes:
    Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (Assassination Classroom)
    Death Parade
    Koufuku Graffiti

Of the four ecchi shows in the picture 2 posts up, I've only tried 2. Seiken Tsukai no World Break I'll probably drop, but Shinmai Maou no Testament had some surprisingly funny moments.

There's also Aldnoah Zero Season 2. The first episode made me want to strangle the director, but I'll probably stick with it unless it gets really bad.

Overall, not the best of seasons, and I need at least three episodes before I really write down my thoughts on each show.

9. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I'm on the exact opposite of the spectrum. I'm watching more shows from winter than I was fall.

New JoJo's, Death Parade, Lesbian Bear Storm, Assassination Classroom, Yatterman Night, Durararax2, new Yowapeda, and new Tokyo Ghoul.

And that's not counting shows that are continuing straight from Fall: Your Lie in April, Parasyte, and Shirobako.

Winter season is surprisingly stacked for me.

10. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

I have the same reaction for this season, as Banta.

Ansatsu Kyoshitsu is an awesome manga and I want to see how far in the plot they will move.

Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love! is pure crack and funny, so the heavy yaoi overtones can be overlooked - well, I only saw the first episode so I don't know if this won't go full yaoi further down.

Junketsu no Maria is quite simple, but for me it has gorgeouse art and animation.

Cross Ange continues to be hilariously large ham, with each episode trying to be more crazy than the previous one.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is, as always, wonderful and the manga will end in February so we will probably see this finished in a proper way.

And now, my two favourite animes of this season.

Yoru no Yatterman. A direct sequal to an anime that I watched as a small kid, all done in dark twist irony kinda way? ANIME OF THE YEAR! at least for me.

Aldnoah.Zero. I loved the first season - it had the right mix of mecha combat, interesting characters, engaging world and very good art. Even though main character could be called a Mary Sue (IMO he's not, because if he would be, than Aldnoah would end after first season), the show is still good.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  11. Feoffic

I really want to see wacky traps and goofy as all get out plots working because of the power of protaganism. That would make my year.

12. Feoffic

13. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    And if anyone except me is still watching Garo, this is for you.

Though I'm probably the only one.

14. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    The new Tokyo Ghoul is... like. Idk. I'm not loving it so far. I really liked the alternate story and the fact it diverged from the manga, but the way the plot is progressing is... annoying.

Like six episodes in and we still don't really know shit. We've had some cool fight scenes and interaction, but other than that, bleh.

15. fire

fire Order Member

Don't worry boys, Oregairu 2 is coming out in April to save anime.

16. Feoffic

Is that some bad light novel thing? That title seems too much like a portmanteau.

17. fire

fire Order Member

Yep. Its full name is "Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru" which translates as "My youth romantic comedy is wrong as I expected."

As you can tell from its ridiculously long title, its a light novel, but it got an anime adaptation, and it's very good. A refreshing, cynical take on the usual SOL/rom-com/harem shows

18. Feoffic

I somehow doubt that, but whatever floats your boat.

EDIT: So the Google Image Search doesn't show it to be super fanservicy, but good god the character descriptions on Wikipedia make the main dude sound like My First Nihilist Experience. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the long arc of the show is that he learns to not be a total shitbag to everyone thanks to his perky friends/love interests.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  19. fire

fire Order Member

I would say that much of what makes a story is good is in its execution. For instance, I would be inherently suspicious of a show that involved prepubescent magical lolis, but Madoka arguably turned out to be the greatest and most groundbreaking anime since Evangelion.

20. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Can give the first season a 100 % recommend. Jarik told me to watch it, was a bit sceptical at first but I really, really loved it after I gave it a go and literally watched it all in one setting, forgoing on sleep until 3 am in the morning or so.

It's nothing groundbreaking, or anything, but it's just really, really well done with heart. It's hard to describe, really, but cynical take on harem/romcom shows sounds right.

There is one moment, where the protag goes full Tattletale on someone and wow, is it brutal and beautiful to behold. Never thought this would get a sequel since the story seemed done but I am all for it.

Just watch it, worth doing so. You'll be entertained, at the very least.

I mean, I didn't seek out fanfiction of this, or anything, but I watched the whole thing twice, once on my own and once with my cousin, who also loved this, and to be honest, I would watch it a few more times without problem. I liked it that much.

Again, not the next madoka in terms of story telling, or the next epic, or anything, but just something good and enjoyable.