1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Any Suggestions On a Laptop?

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Evan Tide, Jun 10, 2012.

1. chriar

chriar Third Year

I don't know what you price range is but in light of the announcement at WWDC today I would actually recommend the new Macbook Pro. The screen is gorgeous and it has a good graphics along with processing power, I mean other than the lack of SWTOR and Skyrim it is a great notebook.
    Edit: Didn't notice the post about Windows only.

2. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

The only reason I'm linking gaming laptops is because I have to be able to run the games we're going to have as class demonstrations and the games that I'll end up making with my cohort in the later years.

I'm not sure how graphic-intensive those games will be.

3. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

You can run Windows on Apple laptops. In general, though, unless you have a compelling reason, you should avoid buying a MacBook Pro. Specs-wise, they definitely give less for your money.

That said, I'm buying the new MacBook Pro with Retina. I don't think it's possible to find a better laptop in that kind of package. And if I sell my 3 year old 13" MBP ($800, god I love Mac resale value), get the student discount ($200), and sell the $100 "back-to-school" promo gift card, it suddenly costs ~$1100, which is affordable enough.

4. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Squib DLP Supporter

I wouldn't suggest using windows 7 on a macbook pro. Windows cuts the battery life in half or worse. I think its something to do with windows using the dedicated graphics card aswell as windows generally being a power-hungry OS.

5. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

So just got back from financial aid. Not getting any backing from there, so limit to 1500 with warranty.

Need to wait for class registrations to get any details on other specs.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I've also used the notebookreview forums. Not a bad place to ask.

If I were you I'd buy a Thinkpad. Mostly because I really, really like Thinkpads. They're well built, sturdy, and should hold up nicely for you over the course of three years.

I'd also prefer a 14" in your situation, as I find it to be a great compromise between portability and productivity, but if the school wants 15" and you like that size then go for it I guess.

The nicest option from Thinkpad in that size is the W530 -- a mobile workstation powerhouse that starts at around $1300. If you have the dough it'd be nice, and while it doesn't have a "gaming" graphics card it would still handle some decent gaming if you wanted to do it. It'd rock for your work though I suspect.

There's also the T530 -- it's a business class notebook that is quite nice and a bit cheaper than the W530 while also leaving you some upgrade room. The T430 and T430s are the 14" options here.

Since you appear to have been considering spending nearly 2k on a laptop I'd suggest you stay away from the cheaper types of Thinkpads (L-Series, Edge).

I'd also try to keep this under $1500 anyway, maybe even to around $1200 -- there's really no need to spend more on a laptop in my opinion, even a nice one.

The W530 starts at $1299 with:
    Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor (Ivy Bridge)
    15.6" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit AntiGlare (Upgradable to 1920x1080)
    NVIDIA Quadro K1000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 Memory
    4GB RAM (could upgrade this to 8GB yourself for fairly cheap via Newegg)
    720p HD camera

The T530 starts lower, around $849 iirc, and then you could upgrade the parts you cared about the most. The same is true for the T430.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  7. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've got a lower end Thinkpad that's served me better than any previous laptops. Being an abusive owner isn't kind to my wallet, but this one has survived and performs far better than expected for the price.

Glad to hear you don't need macbooks. The wave of white when I walk into any of the graphics rooms makes me spray urine all over the walls and ceiling then collapse into a sobbing wreck.