1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Anything but Slytherin by IP82 - M (ONE SHOT)

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ip82, May 21, 2008.

1. JunglePlayer

JunglePlayer Squib

High Score:
    Amazing. I loved the discordance of it, in the way that some parts of the story proceeded exactly as canon did (the boats, Hagrid leading them to McGonagall, the Hat's song), yet there's always something there to jar the reader out of that familiarity before they could really settle into it (McGonagall's red scar, her unfriendly tone, Draco and Ron's personality reversed, the ruin of Hogwarts castle etc.)

I went through a number of possible scenarios before the big reveal: is that a Dementor? (But people still seem cheerful enough) A death-chair? Some sort of transportation device straight to Azkaban? I was pretty set on death-chair, up until the moment I realized Draco is alive. Then it hit me. Whoa. Don't know why it took me so long - Of Course it's stripping them of their magic. Of course. This is the wizarding world! And somehow, that was even worse than my death-chair theory. Way worse.

Loved the little detail of Draco using his last moments with his wand frantically doing possibly the last bit of magic he will ever do. The chills.

Everyone's personalities are down-pat, especially Draco. Exactly who he might have been if he grew up that way. I was especially hit by this sentence: "I was never given a chance! It didn't even touch my head!" This could have applied in canon, too. But of course, I doubt the canon Draco would have chosen any different, were he offered a choice.

What would they have done though, had Harry been placed in Slytherin? Will they have "executed" the saviour, too? 5/5

2. Madval29

Madval29 First Year

High Score:
    Not exactly the same premise but Reverse by Lady Moonglow. I'm not sure if you'd like it as it is Dramione and I'm kinda new so I'm not sure how well it'll be received here.
    The summary is:
    Hermione is unexpectedly swept into a dystopian world of opposites where Dumbledore reigns as Dark Lord and Muggle technology and the Dark Arts have revolutionized Britain. A Light wizard resistance led by Tom Riddle and the Malfoys has been left to a nightmarish fate. Can Hermione, posing as her darker incarnation, help save a world more shattered than her own? HG/DM

The link is: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4025300/1/Reverse

3. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Uh, well, thank you, I'll check it out. To be honest, as it has been 8 years since I posted in this thread, I might have to check out what the original story was too.

4. Madval29

Madval29 First Year

High Score:
    Yeah, I didn't look at when you posted, I'm still getting used to how to use a forum. I thought to go through all the posts. But there are 6 pages of posts, so I'm starting to just read the last few. Especially for some, where there's upwards of 10 pages.