1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Apparition the body rendering weapon?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Raijin, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Raijin

Raijin Slug Club Member

I've been thinking of this lately but has anyone ever seen a fic where someone has used Apparition as a direct weapon. I mean this kind of thing has lot of potential. Grab someones arm you can apparate yourself and that arm or just the arm depending on your Apparition theory. Or even better just take someones head off when they grab you from behind.

2. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

As far as i know, there have been a few fics that i know of, can't name them off the top of my head, that harry or the order have used apparation to dodge attacks or to create surprise attacks, but i don't think anyone's ever used it in the way you mentioned.

As far as i see it, there must be some sort of security spells with apparition that stop this sort of thing happening. We've only ever heard of splinching happening when someone tries to apparate themselves and messup, and it was only mentioned in passing in canon. It seems to me that, if this is even possible during apparation, the must be some way to easily reverse it without there being serious consequences, otherwise apparation would have been completely banned.

As for purposefully splinching in side-along apparation, i don't think it's possible. For one thing, it seems to me that SA apparation must be voluntary for both parties, because we're shown in HPB that harry has to 'hold on tight' to dumbledore's arm, which suggests dumbledore is unable to simply grab harry and apparate away with (part of) him. Other than that, there is probably some way to reverse it as well, as a fail safe.

Of course, there hasn't been anything in canon to say that it can't be done, so i don't see why it couldn't be developed and explained carefully in a fic to show what's happening for the reader. I've never read about it, however.

3. Inexistence

Inexistence Seventh Year

You'd probably end up dying somehow but what if you apparated inside a person? Then you stand up and BOOM!!

4. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

It has something similar in "Mastermind Hunting" with harry being able to just apparate a bodypart.

5. Haunted Warrior

Haunted Warrior Fifth Year

Well in HBP we found out you could apparate holding on whilst holding someone else and the entire body goes along. So I very highly doubt it

6. Personally, I think it's a possible plot device. All you have to do is slap some technical information on how apparation works into the story, and voila! The fact is, the books give little information on how things work. For all anyone knows, it can be done.

7. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

I agree with above post. Theres nothing yet to disprove it as far as i know. In HBP he does have to hold on tightly to dumbledore. Though this can be twisted to our favor. What would happen if you didnt hold on tightly? What would happen if you didnt properly focus on bringing them via sidealong?

Though if someone uses this idea dont make Harry some super apparition freak. And dont make it something new. Apparitions been around a while, im sure its already discovered through trial and error. Like some drunk kid trying to apparrat his friend

8. Doxkid

Doxkid Backtraced

it might be that apparition shots you though a tube of magic to where you're going. Thus, dumbledore had harry hold on tight so he could make it through the tube without leaving anything behind.

I saw something like this in my early reader days but it is a Harry/whore so i will not look for it again. Anyway, harry tried to apparate into hogwarts and hit a massive dome with elastic holes. he his in a orb like shield so he decides to stretch the hole and enter anyway. It was a 'harry doesn't know better so he can if he wants to' fic where he is a god if he believes he is.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I think it's a great idea. It's just side-along apparation, but your purposely splinching that other person. Promising.

It'll work even better too if the person tries to fight you and not get apparated. Shit will definitely go wrong if they try stop it.

10. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I think I read a story were two Death Eaters pretending to be Auror's captured harry and when they apparated him so did Harry either do something to make the Death Eaters splinch themselves or so did he only think about it.

11. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

I think that it would be better to apparate inside of somebody. Matrix anybody?

EDIT: I'm going to use this idea in a story that I'm working on, as a matter of fact. Well, provided that it's okay with you, Sire Raven. I'll give credit of course. Although, I kind of had this idea already, but I'll let you have credit anyways. It's just my innate modesty speaking.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  12. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

Lord Apophis, The fic your thinking of is The Forth Power by Fullsailnate. Its a H/Hr fic, though its ok.

I think I there was a fic that I read that had the theory of apparating is that you take your magic and cover yourself completly and then push the magic. The reason that some people apparate so loudly is that they dont have the control over their magic to hold the sphere stable so close to their skin so they push it out so that even if the sphere is wobbling they are still taken.

If you use that theory that you extend your magic out and then push it then Apparating could be used as a weapon, though presumedly the other person could fight your magic as it tried to form inside you, in which case only powerful wizards, not just Dumbledore/Voldemort but people with above average magical strengh could really pull it of.

13. Harpy Prince

Harpy Prince Seventh Year

I like how teleportation was used in this japanese comic called DNA^2(squared) basically he teleports his body forward in tiny molecules through his opponent ripping them apart from the inside. It'd be pretty cool if someone used that in the HP universe.

14. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

This Means War by Jeconais. It's actually a decent humor-based story.

15. Azrael83

Azrael83 Second Year

Yes I have read a story where apperition was used as a weapon i mean a real weapon were the author says that The aulstrialians are very skilled aperitionists becase they Use apperition daily to move water to their homes they have licenced apperators that move stuff all over the world it was on ff.net ill look for it and try to post the url

16. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mate, I am not the worlds best typer, i acknowledge that, but do try and learn about the use of punctuation. The full stop (.) would be most appreciated.

You may also want to go through and check the spelling of key words like apparation.

17. Azrael83

Azrael83 Second Year

Wow overly critical much? I was in a hurry and had something burning on the stove. SOOOOOOOO excuse me for ofending any upcumming darklords who witness this blunder

18. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wasn't half as critical as most of the guys on this site would be. And still will be if you don't get the finger out and edit your post. The edit button is right next to the quote button in the bottom right hand corner of the message box.

I wasn't critical compared to other responses to similar things on this site. Over react like that too much and you get a bad rep, literally.

19. Thrawn Wannabe

Thrawn Wannabe Second Year

Now now, the Dark Lords are only 'upcumming' in the S&P section.

20. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

You know, having been a DLP member since December 2006 Wannabe, I would have thought you would know the rules regarding necroposting. Alas, humanity still manages to surprise me.