1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Applied Cultural Anthropology by jacobk

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by mknote, Jun 13, 2013.

1. tad2103

tad2103 First Year

I generally like this story. Like many have said, there are some "dark!Harry" cliches here, but they are logical reasons for Hermione to go dark without doing a trauma conga line or being absurdly stupid.

I find myself comparing her to a less engaging version of Harry from TBWL. Similar background, similar character defects (pride, desire to prove that they belong, etc.), similar need to push the envelop on their magical ability.

Despite breaking Potter Law #1, it does so in a less offensive way than most non-Harry centric stories. Harry is a fairly well developed and interesting secondary character and its intriguing just to see how his character adapts without having Hermione as a ready resource to solve problems.

Competent!Lockhart is interesting as well.

4/5

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  2. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

This story is really good. I'm pretty confused as to how people are claiming it's a retread of Slytherin!Harry stories; I've never read one like this before. Characterizations are solid, the plotline is interesting and somewhat unique while holding true to the concept that this is not a complete AU, and overall it seems to be setting up for some interesting things down the line.

I also don't give the slightest fuck about Potter Law #1, and I don't see at all how being about Hermione detracts from this story's quality.

Regarding the plot, the most recent developments with the diary are interesting. Personally I remain unconvinced that TMR doesn't have something up his sleeve, but we'll see. Competent!Lockhart is going to be different, too -- we'll see where that goes.

4.5/5. This is one of the best stories to come out of the Potter fandom in months, and I think it'd be a shame not to have it in the Library.

3. Kinser

Kinser Fourth Year

At first I thought I might not like this, even though I have a weakness for Slytherin!Harry stories. The writing quality is good, the characterizations are good and over all the story is flawless.

I think that this could be library worthy, but I'm withholding ratings until further updates.

However if it continues on the trend established so far it has a solid 4/5.

One point is deducted for not featuring Harry prominently.

4. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Despite the good reviews you guys have given this fic, I most likely won't read it because it's not a Harry-centric fic. Too bad Hermione, I love you but reading a story entirely from a female POV isn't just my style...

empathizing with the MC..*mumble* can't do it... if female.. etc.

5. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I think that's reasonable. It's kind of like how Turn Me Loose is probably an excellent story but I'm never going to read it, just because it's written in the second person.

6. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

I read this. The 1st year is decent, the conflicts are good, angsty though. 2nd year is where it gets really good. Diary Tom is done brilliantly he is a master manipulator. I liked the Neville and Hermione friendship. Her rivalry with Malfoy is nicely done. I actually liked Snape in this one. Its well written and the characterization is great as well. The author hasn't updated in a month I hope he doesn't abandon it.

4/5

7. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

I'm giving this a 5/5 even if the bit about the duel was "lifted" from fanon cliches. It's different from most Slytherin stories I've read and I've liked how Hermione is rising to the top. I also liked how in the beginning she wished so much to be brave. It shows the character arc.

8. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

This story has been updated yesterday.

I kind of feel that the newest thing with Neville seems a little out of left field. However, I'm not strongly opposed to it, just surprised.

9. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

This is a fairly good summation of how I feel about it. It's certainly worth being in the library. Any author writing something enjoyable with some new elements (Diary Tom, Lockhart, etc) in this day and age should be applauded, because this creativity has always been sorely lacking in the fandom.

10. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I've one question before I try to descend further than the premise of the story. Is Hermione the first muggleborn ever to be sorted in Slytherin? If so, I admit I won't bother with this, because I am quite sure that there were other muggleborns before her, before Tom Riddle, before before and even before before, who fit the category of cunning and ambitious.

11. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

No, it's explicitly pointed out she wasn't. I won't spoil beyond that.

12. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Right-o, that's all I need. Thank you.

13. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

Another good chapter, but much too short for my taste.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  14. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

New chapter is out. And how interesting that Hermione is the one who ends up casting
    Serpensortia at Harry, rather than Malfoy.

I have to say this fanfic is quite odd. I had to reconcile a bit of my own preconceptions left over by the official books where Hermione was a silly little frightened and friendless girl who ended her days with sobbing sessions about how no one wanted to be her friend. I mean, that's what prompted her in the Troll's path.

And yet, here she is in Slytherin, enduring far more than being called a nightmarish know-it-all. I guess that's why this is an AU.

15. festen

festen Muggle

Like it so far, will see how it goes... I like the twist with the diary, very intriguing
    I think Hermione here is more like young Albus, who could've gone dark if not for Ariana. She also wants to change the world or society for greater good (like s.p.e.w), but here she comes face to face with other problems (like her being a muggleborn etc.) and her way of dealing with the problems at hand is getting better.

Does anyone know other fics with dark or slytherin Hermione?

16. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

It a good freaking story for reasons said above, so I won't go into it all over again.

My only gripe is the title is incredibly stupid and misleading. It's why I haven't bothered reading it up until now.

Rating it down because it's Hermione centric and because Harry isn't playing a major role in it is ridiculous. I always thought we graded these things on their quality as a story and not because DUR-it's Hermione and I hatez her! Lulz! I gonna rate it a 2.

It has little issues here and there, but overall it's a fantastic story.

5/5

17. 0jordinio0

0jordinio0 Seventh Year

Meh, didn't like it. Trying to branch out from just Harry-centric stories but honestly this just sucks. Bland as hell, and irritated me because it was Hermione. I don't know why I even bothered, I like Ron more than her.

18. cheeseasaurus

cheeseasaurus Muggle

I was kind of confused when

Harry reveals his parselmouth abilities and Hermione apparently goes into a super rage and casts a spell shattering Harry's shield 'like glass' when earlier her spells had couldn't do a thing. Also, just a bit farther down she thinks of Harry being a parselmouth and she may as well be talking about clouds in the sky

The only problem I have with dark Hermione stories is they usually end up being a super Hermione wank fest and with how the last chapter ended, this may be headed in that direction.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  19. Corellon

Corellon Second Year

As far as the "shattered like glass" thing goes, there are two things that seem to point to the reason for it.

The first is that you've got the previously stated influence of feelings/emotions/whatever you want to call them on magic, specifically stupefy. She feels rage, spell is correspondingly stronger. Second, Harry seems pretty distracted: Not paying attention to the shield spell likely means that he wasn't holding it on very well.

As far as the fic itself goes, I definitely enjoyed the later chapters less than the earlier ones, but not by a large margin. Definitely a solid and enjoyable, as well as somewhat unique story. 4.5/5

20. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I'm really surprised that I like this but I really do. It's not that I'm generally against non Harry centric fics it's that hermione is just my least favourite character to read by far. But this was really good. For once I've been able to stand the cliched Slytherin house politics, probably because the characters like Malfoy haven't all been over the top stupid.

My only real complaint is my usual one for fics like this where at no point do the characters act anything like 11/12 year olds. But I don't think I'll ever find a fic that actually does that well so 4/5.