1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Applied Cultural Anthropology by jacobk

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by mknote, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Knoq

Knoq Temporarily Banhammered

A Potion's Master who willingly joined up with Lord Voldemort. Sure, he left, but it damned sure wasn't the goodness of his heart. It was more likely the stark terror of running out of Polyjuice fuel.

Potion's Master. AKA Magical Chemical Engineer.

He got laid. Deal with it. :colbert:

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Potterverse doesn't care if you can morph into Sirius Black, it's run by Deus Ex Machinas. So no, he didn't. :nyan:

3. disturbed27

disturbed27 Professor

I'd fuck Alan Rickman.

4. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

ye are worthy of thy name sir,:fire:puke::twisted:

5. disturbed27

disturbed27 Professor

I am, but I'm pretty sure it has little to do with my willingness to have sex with Alan Rickman. Even if you don't share that willingness I think abomination, vomiting and twisted evil are a tiny bit of an overreaction to it.

6. Knoq

I would never admit this in public.
    Snape's actor was sexier than Black
    s actor.
    :axe:

anyways, I can't wait to see what he makes of 3rd year, so long as he quits this Golden Trio Reunited shit and gets back to Slytherin Drama.

7. rob14

rob14 Squib

It has been updated with two chapters.

8. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Just a small inquiry: is she still bitching about Harry and his 'privileges'?

9. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    She sorta realizes that she's been barking up the wrong tree with that one.

10. KGB

KGB Headmaster

This is a weird fic. I constantly find myself skimming to get through the boring Hermione parts to get to Harry's POV, only to remember they are not coming. The fact that the bits I do read are eye-roll inducing fanwank over how great Hermione is doesn't help. (Hermione killing Lockhart, when he knocks Harry out; Her having already learned all the material before school starts; etc.)

11. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

Hermoine as a academically obsessed whiz kid isn't fanwank, it's cannon. Fan wank isthinking that in second year Harry would have a better chance than hermione against Lockhart.

Anyway, last two chapters haven't disappointed. Occulamency seems like it will be interesting. Can't waint for more updates.

Story to date: 5/5

12. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

That's not fan-wank, that's canon.

13. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

Hermione sucks in action situations while Harry takes charge and fucks up bitchs as best as he can

14. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

like when the other guy uses a broken wand and ends up memory charming himself? Or when Harry trips and the deadly monster impales itself on a swords? Is that what we call fucking bitches up?

15. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

when in OotP Harry and a couple of friends manage to hold off some of the more dangerous death eaters

16. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, yes. In Potterverse, that is it. They have a potion that's literally liquid luck. It's not that big of a leap to imagine that maybe just being lucky in some situations could count as badassery. Harry deserves his own trope, Accidental Action Hero or something, but I'm pretty sure it already exists.

17. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Tom Riddle and Dumbledore were both more academic types, interested in learning as much as they could about magic. That's a lot more in line with Hermione than Harry. The main shortcoming of Hermione in canon is that she has ambitions limited to class performance, no hero complex, and is very focused on following the rules.

In comparison, Harry had a strong support base of people - Dumbledore, Hermione, Lupin, Snape, Dobby, Moody/Crouch and others - who ensure he always has the relevant skills to augment his hero complex. But he generally doesn't tend to try to learn things of his own accord. Even then, it's usually to address a specific problem he has than a hunger for learning magic. It's always out of necessity (learning Patronus to fight Dementors, learning Polyjuice to sneak into Slytherin, learning spells for the Triwizard tournment, etc).

I think it feels perfectly natural that Hermione thrives more than Harry when she is given a circumstance that would give her more of a drive such as her House being one that values ambition over friendships (yes, I know Gryffindor is all about bravery, but in day to day living that doesn't really seem like a thing) and requires her to obtain real mental and magical strength to avoid being bullied.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  18. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

without hermione to rely on and numerous life/death experiences would harry not take it upon himself to study?

19. Knoq

Hermione only obsessed over the rules until she became disillusioned regarding the people who make and enforce them.

...as in check your privilege?

20. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Updated.

Her reaction to House Elves is quite amusing, although it felt a bit like it came out of nowhere.

Also not very fond of Hermione finding a "loophole" to Quidditch. It's the sport wizards have been playing obsessively for hundreds of years - no way someone is just going to turn up and see a exploit no one had ever thought of before.

Still, good update. Happy to see this one moving.