1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Are You A Werewolf 2: Return to Basics

Discussion in 'Graveyard' started by Riley, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

Please try to make sure they're newbies, if at all possible.

Quick announcement: Guys, there's a tornado warning, a flood warning and a thunderstorm currently happening around here. So I might lose net/power, wanted to give you a heads-up.

2. Titus

Titus Squib

Sloth, the people I would be asking would not be newbies but would be new to the site. :nod:

3. Sloth

Sigh. I feel that's been a problem with this set-up. We (yes, I include myself) the experienced players have been dominating the game and the newbies, whom the game is supposed to be about, are mostly in the background.
    I mean, it's fine, I guess, but we really can't keep calling this a game meant for newbies.

4. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Titus, any word?

5. Titus

Titus Squib

Not yet. It's a PM kinda thing. I'll ask someone else if she doesn't get back to me within the day.

6. ika

ika Temporarily Banhammered

Well when the majority are experienced players, you cant exactly do much. I learned how to play and make my grounds merely by jumping into games on my home site.

I never had mentors, any teaching, or such. I learned the hard way though trial and error.

TBH, the best way to learn is to just play and find what fits for you.

---------- Post automerged at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

not exactly to sound rude to you sloth or the newbs, but you/they have it easy compared to how i had to learn to play.

7. Sloth

Wow, so many...
    ...Eh, I'll just stick to the nice truths:
    Ika, I admire your skill as a mod, especially your ability to shoulder the burden dropped suddenly in your lap without complaint. I also admire your analytic skills.

I thought you read my mentor chat with fonti? I largely took my own reigns and learn-by-doing, like I always do. Not sure how that's so much different than what you did.

Still, to each their own, I suppose.

8. ika

No i haven't. There are some differences though.

1) My home site had none of the mentors and stuff.
    2) i am used to much more complicated setups that were at least semi-open (3rd parties were almost always around)

your case may have been similar (or same) but the "requesting newbies" thing isn't going to do much.

How i think the cycle goes is newbies learn from watching/playing with and from experienced players. Then they get skilled enough where they can start doing it independently.

IMO: more newbies isn't going to do much vs having another experienced player

---------- Post automerged 05-13-2014 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-12-2014 at 11:59 PM ----------

as for modding, thats another thing about me entirly. If they would put my setup on the que and when it gets runned you will find i am much more diffrent when it comes to modding

9. Citrus

Citrus First Year

Ika, is sc2mafia your first site?

I had no clue what was going on my first few games - it took about 5 or 6 games before I had a good grasp.

Nice thing there is they run a lot of setups and they're pretty relaxed.
    Downside is its much less analytical (much more about night actions) And much less posting.

They also have big games every few months with like 35 players, those are a ton of fun

---------- Post automerged at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

Being mentored into the game helps you get a grasp quicker

Trial by fire means it's hard for you to keep up, but once you're comfortable you can shape your playstyle more easily.

God I hate my autocorrect sometimes

10. ika

1) yes thats my homesite and where i learned to play mafia, before that i played the sc2 mafa mod

2) somewhat same, i watched the big fm (yayaps mass WIFOM game) and then some smaller ones and then joined in

3) yes, we have very unique setups, however i wouldnt say "relaxed"
    yes it is more night action oriented and less anyalitcal, I could argure that its just players are not as active as they once were.

4) best part is we use annon accounts to hide coms (although some people dont really tryto hide it)

5) never had one so i cant really say right or wrong overall

6) thats what i had to do and did which what made me who i am for the most part today

7) lol

11. Riley

A replacement has been found. Please check game thread for updates.

12. Titus

Titus Squib

What is the replacement for Burkion's name?

13. Riley

Monochrome, sorry I forgot to mention that.