1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Article in The Atlantic links and mentions Darklordpotter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Perspicacity, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    (I tried a site search on this, but didn't see mention of it; my apologies if it's a repeat post).

The Atlantic had an article in their 18 July edition which links to DLP as well as mentions it in the text.

Of course, the link in question is to the infamous DLP Methods of Rationality thread (that he's still butthurt over) and the article opens by gushing over Yudkowski and his story. Still, it's another example of a mainstream media article presenting fanfiction in a generally positive light with obligatory comparisons made to the KISS Army, Deadheads, and Trekkies.

An interesting passage comes at the end, where the author speculates on the opportunity Rowling has to suborn some of the best fanfiction under her Pottermore banner:

Incidentally, the only mention of DLP I could find on Wikipedia was in association with this The Atlantic article and Yudkowski's story. With increasing attention being paid to fanfiction of late, I wonder whether it might be worthwhile to put DLP entries in some common references (Wikipedia, TVTropes, etc.)

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

This is a mainstream media site? With grammar like this? I refuse to believe it.

3. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm also pretty sure that DLP's outrage wasn't over its treatment of canon so much as at the author and his attitude.

4. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

On the actual article's content, I don't think its active fandom participation the was the cause of Pottermore. Certainly it helped, but I'm pretty sure Rowling's pile of gold dropped below 3 metres in height and needed topping off.

5. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I was going to restate the reasons behind my dislike of MoR and lesswrong, but I realized we got to about seventeen billion pages of that in the library thread before it was locked, so let's not go for round two.

Though it's odd they mentioned us. We're five pages deep into the Google search for Methods of Rationality and he's taken the bitchfits he threw over us off his FFN profile. I'd wager the author of the article is a long-term fan (which seems likely, considering how complimentary the article is) that remembers the drama back when it was fresh, and only recently managed to talk his editors into an article based on a glorified fanfiction.

6. The Berkeley Hunt

It make me very happy that I'm on DLP, where dickheads are vilified and criticism is appreciated over than forums where guys like Yudkowsky have fans.

Keep on truckin', DLP.

7. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That may all be so, but it's still kinda depressing that that's our admittance to the wider world...

Either we get high praise for seriously punching over our weight in high caliber storytelling in the fandom, or else we get vilified over The Office. As is, it's bullshit.

Edit: As to the article itself - it's a fanwank. Just the first paragraph alone: never mind that the story is about magic and thus trying to justify it in scientific terms is completely pointless... it's nonetheless a conversation that has happened across every Harry Potter board since the fandom started, here not excluded. To try and paint him as some sort of literary visionary... Christ.

Oh well, we still win. Santi alone is worth a million goddamn derp derp rationalities.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  8. The Berkeley Hunt

Though in the greatest of ironies, this forum will be forever plagued with the same derpy rationalites come to argue on the 'Boy Who Lived' thread.

9. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

So this is why there has been an influx of the retarded lately. Huh.

10. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Lol, we had that discussion on IRC a while back. That idea was that we best write our wiki article ourselves, so that it would be unbiased :3

11. Tehan

Wikipedia tend to be nazis about notability, and we probably won't fit the(ir version of the) bill, and TV Tropes' lips seem to be firmly sealed around the base of lesswrong's cock. And I don't think mentions on either can lead to an influx of the sort of members we'd want.

12. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Well hold on. WoR has fans here.

It's important to differentiate between fans of WoR and fans of Yudkowsky.

I'm of the former persuasion, though I felt that some of our members overstepped their bounds with regards to the author in one case (members get an auto-un-appealable-tempban on any forum I moderate that posts a PM for any reason whatsoever), but my disagreements with Taure over the subject had to do with his posting a PM between him and Yudkowsky).

---------- Post automerged at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 ----------

Up until the point that The Santi himself decided that Pers and mine's so-called "derpity derp" was worth correcting his fic over.

There's a difference between "derpity derp" and "makes absolutely no goddamned sense whatsoever."

People seem to forget that The Santi agreed with us on this.

---------- Post automerged at 10:28 ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 ----------

TVTrope's folks are not hard-core Yudkowsky fans. He may have his fans on TYTropes but that's not to say we don't have our own there.

Try posting our shit there and you'd find plenty of support.

P.S.: I love the auto merge. It save so much work for me.

13. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    The page on TVTropes I could find referencing DLP has it as:

A link to the site is included. This text isn't particularly unflattering. (We are listed first in the collection of Harry Potter sites listed, appearing even before HarryPotterFanfiction.com).

I think a separate TVTropes page for DLP wouldn't be out of place, especially given how many of our site's authors have stories listed there. As Tehan notes, our "notability" for wikipedia may be a stretch for warranting its own individual page, but harrypotterfanfiction.com, mugglenet, fanfiction.net, and several other sites do have a page. Perhaps a mention+link on the Harry Potter fandom page would be a good trial balloon.

14. The Berkeley Hunt

First of all, WoR, lol. Wethods of Rationality would have been a far better title, in my opinion, it makes me think of an AU with Chekov instead of Harry. Which would be awesome. And if you'll notice, I didn't mention his story, merely the man, making your rebuttal here pretty useless.

Once again, kind of a useless statement. I didn't say people shouldn't needlessly quibble over the fic, I quite enjoy it. I was commenting on the idiot FFers who come here based on Santi's fic alone and post one line stupidities instead of intelligently discussing the fic.

And a TVTropes page would be cool, even if only for trapping most of the forum there for hours when we link it here.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  15. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

DLP's reputation whenever I go on other sites is like "they're too harsh", I came here to see for myself, but it's more of a "no nonsense in regards to idiocy" forum...

This was on the Space Battle forums I used to go on, I checked there the other day and I saw this about a couple of recs.

Poster 1: This is basically the highlights of the DLP C2.

Poster 2: So in other words, avoid at all costs?

Poster 3: More like "avoid unless it means you'll be maimed, in which case make sarcastic comments the whole time instead."

The article is amusing, could be the author having a friend write an article about him, it seemed to much like a FF.net suck up review to me.

16. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Space Battles is a site where Tea Party members and Global Warming deniers are not only tolerated but make up a large and vocal part of the population. They're a site where a negative review can and will be responded to with a page and a half of flames because you hurt the writer's feelings. They're a site that considers JoeHundredaire to be one of their better authors. They're definitely the worst forum I post on and among the worst I have ever posted on. What they think of DLP is irrelevant. It's like Hawking caring about what Corky thinks of his theories.
    No, Yudkowsky genuinely has groupies like this. At this point, it really doesn't matter what he writes: people will still write reviews like this about it. If you can find it, read his First Contact story - there's a solid several paragraph diatribe from one of the characters that changes it from a poorly-written and somewhat weird first-contact story to a self-insert about the Space-Rationalist. There were next to no negative reviews anywhere to be seen.

17. Tehan

Why would we even want a Wikipedia page? What purpose would it serve?

18. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Don't you know? If it's not on Wikipedia then it doesn't exist. ;)

19. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Indeed. I've often contemplated withdrawing from that site and abandoning my account. There really isn't much criticism or actual reviewing, but more of a praising and light questioning. Plus their tendency to let the pro-Israel contingent talk whatever they want while pro-Palestinians are warned, kicked and banned has seen me drop their regular chat site for good.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  20. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Yeah. I'd like to avoid derailing this thread anymore than I already have, but I've finally done just that. They have a few genuinely good authors but they're pretty fucking rare and their politics forum is a total trainwreck.