1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Arvil Bren's Morrowind Journal by Tim Cummings - Morrowind

Discussion in 'Games' started by Matian, May 4, 2009.

1. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Good to see it finished at last.

It was rather short, considering the length of the other journals. To wrap up the journals with 4000 words was probably a mistake. However, I did like the ending; it was an interesting and thoughtful take on the Nerevarine prophecy. You should just have fleshed it out.

But whatever. Thank you for finishing the story, Tim. It certainly took a while, but you finally got there.

2. Arvil Bren's Writer

Arvil Bren's Writer Squib

I had a longer approach written (and rewritten, and rewritten), but in truth I hated it from the start and by the time I gave up on it I really hated it. At the point of the story that the narration changes in the final copy it basically just became one slog through the crater to kill one more ash monster after another, and I couldn't seem to break the repetitiousness of it.

Then the final showdown involved either using the extensive dialog that was supplied or ignoring it completely. Neither of those seemed like a great way to go about things either when I tried them. And the 'temptations of Arvil Bren' that led to the outcome I wanted with the ring took on a real 'wallowing' flavor in first person, and it lost the 'punch'.

Ultimately there was just so much of it that was wrong and I wanted to end on some sort of memorable note, even if it was short. And I think it leaves that sort of nebulous feeling that so much of Elder Scrolls history tends to leave. Just how did it really go down in there?

It also created an opening for a new project somewhere down the line if I live long enough.

3. Nocdia

Nocdia Sixth Year

Still, I was glad for some closure, especially if it means you're moving on to new projects. Any idea what you'd want to do next?

4. Arvil Bren's Writer

Arvil Bren's Writer Squib

I've had an idea for an Oblivion based story kicking around for a while, and some Skyrim stuff as well. The Oblivion thing would be a main quest epic and I'm not sure I'm up for that yet, but Skyrim lends itself to a more varied approach. Shorter story of a character that is not the dragonborn but leads some sort of interesting life...maybe during the dragon crisis but maybe not.