1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Mar 6, 2013.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Is this the actual AC4, or a in-between standalone?

I don't see how this can work without Desmond. Killing him off was the worst thing to do. I don't understand why you are glad it happen.

3. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

New Characters, new situation, "new" timeline so yeah looks like an new game to me.

Easy, just take another family member with the right genes. Or simply skip the whole "real" world part and just be mysterious about who experiences it.
    And yep I ams also glad the Desmond is dead, never liked those episodes but I am a lot happier that we have new main character as Conner never reached Ezio

It looks more interesting and a bit more mature than the last one and the sea battles were my favorite part of the last one. Now they only have to fix the combat system and I will be happy.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  4. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Really? I dreaded every sequence that used Desmond. I played the games for the old settings, not to watch Desmond and his entourage jackaround.

5. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Say what you will, ACR and AC3 Desmond sequences were awesome and immersive, AC3 ending notwithstanding.

6. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I am letting my endless yearning for a good pirate game overwhelm my deep disappointment with AC3. I hope I don't regret it.

7. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

We spent 4 games building him up to be this master assassin then he gets little playtime in kinda shit missions that don't really showcase his skills, a poor final boss fight and an unsatisfactory ending. I liked Desmond, and even if I didn't, we spent a lot of time making him a bad ass only for him to bite the dust so early on.

I'll get this regardless, I just won't be very happy about the protagonist, no doubt.

8. AnvariX

AnvariX Second Year

I'll attempt to find the article I read but, I believe, that the modern day 'protagonist' is an Abstergo employee doing research in the Animus for Abstergo's "entertainment" division. I'll try to rustle up the article I found...

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hear, Hear.

Having to listen to Desmond snark with that sarcastic British ass-wad was perhaps the least amount of fun I've ever had gaming. Hopefully, there'll be a new supporting cast as well.

10. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

With the race for the PoE over and done with, I'm kind of curious as to what the modern day storyline will be about. I don't particularly care about Desmond one way or another, but hopefully this time there'll be an interesting storyline to fill out the parts where we're not in the Animus.

11. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd argue that it's stretching suspension of disbelief that Desmond would be able to help progress the total AC storyline further. I mean, what are the chances that a single bloodline would include every single plot essential Assassin?

Desmond was important because he was coincidentally (and this is a big fucking stretch, mind you, given that all the Assassins so far have been related by blood over hundreds of years and miles) related to all the Assassins who had handled the Apple and other proto-civilization artifacts. Since that whole heezy is done with, I assume we will be tracking some other thing through time besides the artifacts.

Add that to all the gripes currently in place about Desmond, and I'm quite happy to be seeing a new Animus user.

12. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

There are only two things I want to see in this game:

• The Ninja AC game we were promised via Eagle Vision in AC (a la Yonaguni), aka the sole reason I've paid attention to anything in the series since. That would be bang tidy.
    • The player being a descendant of Desmond's in the post-apocalyptic, alien-ruled future, who not only has to play every significant bit as every ancestor in every game so far (but with decent, full Keyboard&Mouse PC controls) to learn the Assassin skills and find all the ancient buried gear he needs, and not only has to systematically assassinate all of his Zombie-Alien-Templar overlords using these abilities, but also must play a twenty-to-thirty hour segment in the Ninja AC game we were promised via Eagle Vision in AC (a la Yonaguni), aka the sole reason I've paid attention to anything in the series since. That, too, would be bang tidy.

So without any preconceptions I'm now going to read the released materials and watch the trailer for the first time. Not sure what the plot is going to be yet, but I have a sneaking, optimistic suspicion that one of the two is right on the money.

13. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

The new protagonist is you. It's the player. You get hired by Abstergo IRL to do 'research.'

Seeing how the Animus you're using is running off of Desmond's blood, since the technology has progressed to the point that you can enter other people's memories if you've got their DNA, it would seem as though he is.

This is actually justified in the games, though, if you're paying attention. Desmond is related to everyone who handled the Apple, and it's implied that his bloodline is somehow drawn or destined to deal with that. Minerva stated that patterns and math rule the universe, if you understand the formula involved, and the whole point of Eaglevision was that Desmond's bloodline had been touched by God/Forerunner blood at some point in the ancient past.

One would presume that there are probably other bloodlines out there that are tied up with other Pieces of Eden, though that's nothing more than a guess. Desmond's story is the story of the Apple, and everyone who ever dealt with it. The reason it's a big deal is because, as far as we know, it's the only PoE that lets you mind control whole crowds of people just because. Obviously the Templars would want that, and just as obviously, the Assassins would want to keep that from happening.

Until the Apple story ends and we move on to other Pieces of Eden, I suspect we'll be dealing with Desmond and his ancestors.

We just spent an entire game talking to a guy who had physically died but whose mind was still alive in the Animus. If you actually think Desmond is dead for real, especially considering the way he died (bullshit god-technology magic) and that we're apparently using his blood now to rummage for more presumably Apple-related shenanigans, then I've got a bridge to sell you.

I'll eat my keyboard if Desmond doesn't become the new Subject 16 for your self-insert protagonist.

14. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Lord Raine where did you hear about the first spoiler?

Don't know if I'm happy about that, tbh. Fucking Ubisoft, man.

15. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So long as we didn't
    spend the last 5 games building a protagonist from an irresponsible, cowardly brat to a badass, self sacrificing master Assassin only for him to die in a 40 second cutscene
    I'll be happy.

16. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

I really only got into the games a few months ago, but I enjoyed them greatly. I really don't get why people are so apprehensive about it, as, in my opinion at least, the games haven't disappointed so far. I'll admit that I don't like Desmond as much as the character's he's living the memories of, but I don't dislike him either. He's just a necessary plot device.

Anyway, the only thing I'm a tad cautious of is that they're supposedly doing away with the notoriety element. Makes sense, I guess, because you're a pirate and they really don't care about that kind of stuff, (Except, maybe, to have reputation to attract willing crew members and such) but it's always been a part of the game. Kept you from just going around killing things like it was going out of style. Though they'll probably have a new 'consequence,' as it is, to deter people from that.

Meh. W/e, I still can't wait for the game.

17. Rache

Rache Headmaster

I lost interest in Desmond after AC Brotherhood. The fact that we are getting a new lead character is beyond :awesome

18. Lord Raine

It's mentioned in that one dev video where they talk about the game development and the trailer. I'll see if I can't find it when I get off work. They basically say that
    Desmond's place as the protagonist is being replaced by a faceless individual that is meant to represent a expy of the player themselves as they are right now today, who is hired/contracted/kidnapped/somethinged by Abstergo to do 'research,' which they define as "using this new Animus to go back into Desmond's blood." The part they aren't mentioning is presumably "and look for any cool shit that we might have missed that will help us rule the world." Whether the modern plot of the new protagonist will have you 'saved' by the Assassins, or if you're actually playing as a legit Templar agent, we don't know yet.

I have nothing whatsoever to base this off of, but I would imagine that they'll be introducing a replacement mechanic, because you're a freaking pirate. Notoriety wouldn't just work in your favor; it'd be something the character would logically revel in. There may just be a straight Notoriety score or something; the more notorieous acts you commit, the more crew you can pull in/more options open up for you/ect. Or maybe they'll do some kind of balancing scales, where you balance being a badass notorious pirate with being a Robin Hood of the Carribian. Like a karma scale or something.

Honestly, I'll just be happy if the ultimate boat in the game is the Aquilla. It would explain where the Aquilla got it's reputation as a "living devil of the seas" from, we might get to see those two grizzled old sailors as young men, and it would be really cool if the ship's final fate was to be fall into the hands of his grandson and be rebuilt to terrorize the seas once again.

---------- Post automerged at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Found it. This is the devtalk about the game from when it was announced. The whole thing is interesting and worth watching, but the part you're looking for is 6:38.
    The main character IRL is you in the current day, and you're sifting through Desmond's bloodline for Abstergo.

19. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Honestly, I think the series has gone beyond the point of a shark jump/nuclear fridge-bunker.

20. Lord Raine

The game has you playing as a guy you hardly ever get to see because the Illuminati hooked him up to a machine to force him to relive the lives of his ancestors, which is accomplished because DNA, in an effort to find world-ending magical artifacts and help them. . . take over the world? Even though they already control the entire world?

And also there's some kind of cataclysm that's going to happen, something about solar rays and magnetic shifts. Basically a big mixing pot of all the bullshit the History channel has decided to run, mashed together and blended to a fine paste of bullshit conspiracy theories.

What I'm trying to say is that this series has never been something you could really take all that seriously. I'm surprised that some people do.