1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Assassin's Creed Three

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Sol, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How Do You Like Dem Apples? :awesome

2. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

I've read most every entry in the Animus Data base just for what's-his-face's super british/semi-anti-american humor.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Edited: How the FUCK do I recruit new Assassins besides the fucking french butcher?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  4. Sky

Sky Muggle

Anyone else finished it yet? I'm not even close to 100% synced- I sped through it because I was mostly interested in how the 'modern story' rounded off, but I want to know what other people thought about the ending.

I have mixed feelings about it, personally.

5. bombdiggity92

bombdiggity92 Temporarily Banhammered

Had 70$ dollars to buy it. So, I'm standing at the cash paying with debit and BAM basic banking fees kick in so I couldn't get it.:facepalm

6. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Ok, here goes.

First the good stuff.
    -The gameplay was very good. Connor's combat system is very versatile, impressive and with great variety, but at the same time it is much harder to survive fights against many and/or difficult opponents than it was in previous games. This leads to you actually picking fights, and trying to escape the dangerous guards instead of going "fuck it, your funeral". Then again, that's probably because I almost never used the pistol in fights.
    -I loved everything about the Homestead. The map, the community missions, the Crafting and Trading, all of it.
    -The naval battles were arguably the best part of the game, imo.
    -Haytham
    -Desmond missions (ending excluded) were better than Connor's sessions, imo.
    -The Frontier, the weather system, and especially the hunting systems were amazing. I love hunting, I can do it for hours without getting bored. They really outdid themselves on those maps.

Now the bad stuff.
    -Connor is a obviously into bondage. That is the only explanation for all the times he got captured. I lost count of the times he just walks up to his targets and their guards, just walks up to them, and then gets carted away to wherever they want him to be. I mean seriously, what was he expecting while walking up to them? Or just sit and try to explain to the guards instead of running the fuck away.
    -Short storyline? I power-played it through the weekend, doing all the Homestead missions, Naval missions and the majority of side missions, and still finished the game in less than three days.
    -The ending. Dissapointing is one way of putting it, retarded is another.
    Ignoring the fact that Desmond just dies, the whole thing was retarded. In the span of two minutes the game was over, with zero contribution from the player, and we aren't even shown the resolutions. We're just told that some things went bad, but then passed and all was k. At the very fucking least we should have been given the choice of who to listen to, Juno or Minerva, instead of letting Desmond fuck everything up again.
    I sincerely hope that there will be more to it. If not, this was just sad.

TL;DR: Gameplay was best so far from all AC games, storyline was ok, ending was terribad. Not sure if the gameplay was worth 60 euro on its own, but I don't regret buying it.
    Haven't touched the multiplayer yet.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  7. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

That ending just felt like they were

Sick of Desmond and needed an excuse to have a new protagonist rather than him actually sacrificing himself to save everyone. Also, fuck Juno.

8. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Forgot to mention that there were numerous glitches, all over the place. The game even crashed four times. It seemed rushed.

Also, so far the AC series has tried to explain everything. Altair's choice was explained, Ezio's choice was explained. Why was Connor chosen? Or did I miss it? Also, how do they explain being able to run around in the Animus after what happened in the ending?

9. Sky

Sky Muggle

For the bad stuff, I'd also add that they destoryed Daniel Cross' character completely. Guy had an epic 'canon' backstory in the comics. He was a really interesting character.
    For a supposed 'boss' battle against a master templar, the fight against him sucked.

I thought I was the only one who enjoyed Desmond's missions more than Conners... I really liked the modern half of the game, if only because I wanted to see how it concluded.

About the ending-
    It feels like they crapped on Desmond's character, though. I mean, I liked the modern day missions in AC3, and I really liked Desmond- all the way from game 1, I found him interesting. And I spent 5 games shaping him into a super assassin only for it to end how it did. I get the sacrifice, I get the Juno was evil- I could have told you that way back, but urgh. He... he just wanted to do home when it was all over D:

We got a lot more information on his character, and I really liked ACIII for that. As interesting as Connor is, I really wanted to see how the modern side of the story concluded, but it felt really anticlimatic. It was like there was no respect for Desmond's character. All that training, all those hours in the animus, all the risks, and the fight with Daniel Cross was anticlimatic as hell, and Desmond bloody dies by literally killing himself. He doesn't even get to show off the skills he learned... not really. Pretty much everyone you faced in the modern side of the story was 'fodder'. And yeah, he killed himself to save the world, but come on. You didn't even get a choice in the matter.

What about Subject 16's warnings? Eve? Eden? 'The sun... your son?' Where did they come into play? Will they come into AC4? Clay did say that 'Everything you love everything you hold dear is already gone'. It was never gonna be a happy ending after that, but... the past 5 games, much as I love them, with the conclusion of AC3, the shaping of Desmond's character seems a little pointless. In the end, he was pretty much a supernatural battery Juno manipulated into a switch. I wanted him to change the world. In a sense, yeah, he stopped one circular motion of the world rebuilding after being near destoryed by the solar flare and the fight between the assassin's and templars restarting, but on the other hand, he started another circular motion by 'saving' the world but handing it back to an evil 'goddess' from the first civilisation to rule. I feel that if they were gonna do that, they should have at least kept Desmond, the key to everything, alive to finish the fight... but no, his brain is fried now, and Ubisoft said it's the conculsion to Desmond's story.

AC4's probably going to start with a whole new protagonist, in a world that's presumbly enslaved under Juno's influence, so maybe it'll be William, Shaun and Rebbeca, with 'Eve' carrying on the good fight. Depends on the execution- it could be really good. I just... wish that Desmond had had more time to shine.

There's theories that Ubisoft is possibly bringing in Erudito from Project Legacy to explain that, but I'm not sure.It'll probably link into AC4 though- they have to start somewhere, I suppose.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  10. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

So I haven't played this yet and all of my knowledge come via the internet, but how certain is it that Desmond is dead? Because from what I've read it seems like they could just be messing with us.

11. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

The ending dialogue basically has it where he either chooses to die in order to save the world or live, survive through the supposed disaster to come, and then become Jesus 2.0. He chooses the first choice, gets all white and glowy in the face, then collapses while Minerva pops up. She walks up, says the disaster is averted, and thanks the dead Desmond for his purpose in all that shit but that his role is now over. Then she walks away saying how it's her time now.

About as... 'meh' an ending as it can get, I suppose.

12. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Stopped the cycle, shame about the main character, but those bittersweet endings will always getcha.

RIP Shepard Desmond, we had a good run.

Filler.

13. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Dont think Juno could have been fooled about his condition. Plus, Ubishoft did say that thats that. Why, I dont know, but there you have it.

14. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

Just a question to anyone playing it on the PC. Has anyone else had so much lag that the game is pretty much unplayable?

My computer is above the recommended requirements for it and no matter how low the resolution and everything else is I'm getting...I have no idea, like 10-20 FPS? Even cut-scenes stutter and skip. I'm strictly playing single player, not multiplayer if that helps any.

Has anyone else have similar issues?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  15. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

I acquired the game through questionable means, but the only problem I've encountered involves random crashes (but it's apparently not a problem with the actual game).

So no. Not here. Can't speak for others' experiences, however.

16. Dreamweaver Mirar

Dreamweaver Mirar Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Same as Lutris minus the crashing, though I've only played for 3 or so hours.

17. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

Actually, I've noticed that since I've upgraded all of my games have been lagging. Skyrim, oddly enough at maxed graphics, is somewhat laggy while Assassin's Creed Revelations + 3 and Civilization V: Gods & Kings are damn near unplayable even at the lowest setting I can put them on. I have the latest drivers for my GTX 660 Ti so I don't believe it's that. Does anyone have an idea what what the issue could be?

Here's my new specs:
    Intel i5-3570K Ivy Bridge
    GeForce GTX 660 Ti
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 2133
    Rosewill CAPSTONE 750W

18. Azrael's Little Helper

Azrael's Little Helper High Inquisitor

I've not had graphics and lag issues playing through although my sister's computer has issues where the mouse sensitivity is set to lowest both in and out of the game but the actual on screen movements and responses are way too sensitive.

19. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

I've noticed something with the CPU, when I play games the processor goes to 99-100% on the task manager which I doubt should happen. Later on I restarted and checked the BIOS and the CPU temperature was at 94C and climbing. I downloaded Speedfan, after turning the computer off and let it cool down, and when I started to play AC3 the CPU temp started to rocket quickly. Before I started the game it was around 43C but not 2 minutes after loading the game, not playing it, it shot up to 64C.

What in the Hell is wrong with it? I cleaned it out when I put all the new parts in, do I have to buy a CPU cooler too?

Edit: Alright, I went to clean it out but there was hardly anything dust wise in it. However, I took the CPU fan off and I noticed that the glue wasn't even touched. After I put it back on I noticed that the issue went away and the temp problem went along with it. So it turned out to be that the CPU fan wasn't tight enough. First for me.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  20. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

I actually have minor lag and stuttering. I notice it a lot more during those huge ass battles when there's more to animate but even running through the cities, it's not really that smooth compared to Revelations, for example. However, it's definitely not unplayable. Haven't had any issues with combat generally, except for the fact that the game never lets me grab a human shield in the middle of my combo when I need it...

Actually, the most annoying part is the lag between the sound in the cutscenes and what actually plays. Sound actually goes like 15 seconds ahead very often, leading to some awkward pauses.