1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Attack on Titan

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Feoffic, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Ravnius

Ravnius Auror

Hug, please. Enuff Bewbs is possible only in the lofty heights of deific figures. Kinda like Enuff Dakka, or Enuff Choppy.

2. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Also the artist for the series hates fanservice, so it's going to be pretty low in general anyways. That said, some fanart, because Sasha rules:

[imgur]Na1ZhkH[/imgur]
    Source

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Speaking of objectification. I used to think Annie's nose was weird. Kinda grown on me now.

4. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  5. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Holy fuck that episode was good. Attack on Titan is such a good show. I can't wait for next week's episode.

Also, just out of curiosity: it's currently slated to end at the 26th episode, right? So two more weeks before we get a killer cliffhanger and wait until next year for more?

EDIT: Seriously, those fucking faces.
    [imgur]bo7Pc4J[/imgur]
    (Animated gif)http://imgur.com/xmgJ1oI

6. purple

purple Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

25th episode according to MAL. So only one more episode.

7. meev

meev Groundskeeper

This was the best episode from an animation perspective, and the worst from a story and adaption perspective.

Seriously WIT, I love your action scenes, but it would be good if you could not completely butcher the characterization of everyone involved while you do it thanks. Also, when you're adding filler, you're not supposed to cut all of the source material to do it.

8. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Well fuck. Okay, thanks. Next week is going to be one hell of a cliffhanger, then.

EDIT: ^^^^^ what? The filler (at least, what I understand is the filler) was fine. It made perfect sense given everyone's characters.

9. meev

meev Groundskeeper

It completely changed everything about Eren and his reason to fight Annie, in the process also missing the point that the difference between the first and second fights was in the second Eren wasn't raging like a retard, he was completely calm and resolved, so I suppose it's more accurate to say they completely butchered his character development. No church crushing scene on top of the already cut training scenes means Annie's character has been reduced to that of a cartoon villain. Hanji's eccentricity is portrayed as her just being super crazy in general (though the adaption was already guilty of this). Nile is also turned into a cartoon retard villain, though this is more just adding "cartoon retard" on top of his rather sparse character, the fact remains it is still stupid and based on nothing.

I'll admit "everyone" was a bit much though. Jean's scenes were pretty in character and decent.

For reference, the filler was everything past the first couple of minutes, when Mikasa says "This world is cruel". This was an entirely anime original episode.

10. Solomon

Solomon Heir

So what you're saying is I have the filler to thank for the kickass Mikasa vs Annie sequence. I'm more than okay with this.

Also, I just watch the anime, so maybe I'm missing out on some of the nuances of the characters, but pretty much all of the actual talky bits from the filler made perfect sense. Remember how in the excursion outside the walls, there was an entire episode (or more than that, I'm not entirely positive offhand) devoted to Eren being incapable of making up his mind? That's basically what I see going on here. Hell, from what I've heard with the context of the manga Eren's shit this episode makes more sense (the aforementioned training scenes.)

EDIT: I can't speak to any of the police characters outside of Annie herself, so you may be right there, I don't know. They seemed fine. Annie isn't a hugely developed character, but she doesn't really come off like a cartoon villain to me (despite technically being one.)

11. meev

meev Groundskeeper

So you're saying despite characters acting in literally the opposite of what they did in the same situation in the manga, the characterization wasn't in any way incorrect because you, who've never read the source material it's adapting thinks it's correct.

That's nice for you and all, but I personally disagree. Having read the manga, I see this episode as completely destroying one of the single most important moments of Eren's character development, as well as making other characters into exaggerated caricatures of archetypes. It has the writing of a shitty action blockbuster. That's okay with you, it isn't with me, especially when they certainly didn't need to do that to have great action scenes if they were halfway competent writers.

12. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I dunno, it seems really consistent for Eren to be conflicted about being asked to fight (kill) someone he's at all close to. Killing an anonymous "female titan" is all fine and good when for all he knows it's someone he's never met, but that is no longer the case.

It actually shouldn't be easy for him to decide to do this.

13. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

I don't think there's any problem with changing the characterization, if it makes sense with the anime and will bring a closure. After all, (unless they plan to do second season), the show will end in one episode. It's just necessary a lot of times to change things a little so things don't end abruptly

14. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Eh, to be fair, saying "it's consistent with his character" as I did is a little iffy considering there hasn't been a whole lot of his actual character in the anime beyond raging about titans, but yeah. It's probably more accurate to say it doesn't feel out of character for him to be conflicted in this sense. That's all.

I can kinda see where Meev is coming from, I just don't really agree with it; and hey, maybe that's because I haven't read the manga.

FEdit: Oh, they're almost guaranteed to do a second season. It just probably won't be for another year or so (since my understanding is there isn't enough manga content for a second season right now.)

15. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Course not, you're one of the dudes in the leather jackets.

16. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Just finished watching the episode and I have to agree with meev. The action, the music of the anime are fan-fucking-tastic, no question about it. New scenes adding to pad out the episodes? A lot of them were great, too. The fight scenes, such as the extended battle between the female titan and the Recon corps, are gorgeously drawn. However, these things came at the cost of the tightness of the story and Eren's character development.

Eren in the manga wasn't the rage-fag he seems to be in the anime at all. He may not be the smartest guy around, but he does think and try to figure things out. Isayama's stated dislike of Eren (claiming that he is too perfect and mostly just a plot-advancing device) may have been a factor, influencing the animation crew to make him a more "human" character, but really, it only makes poor Eren look like a weak and whiny bitch.

@Solomon:
    You should check out the manga. While a lot of people badmouthed Isayama's artwork, the way he draws the expressions on the characters are beautiful, especially as the manga progresses and he improves. Check out this shot: [​IMG]
    Isayama conveyed so much emotion in two panels, one apiece for Almin and Mikasa: fear, despair, pain, all kinds of emotions that were conflicting within them. Did it not hurt them that, the fact that Annie was the female titan, that one of their classmates was their sworn enemy? Of course it did; but they went on, prepare to fight and die because it must be done and they could not falter.

tl;dr: read the fucking manga.

Also, the amount of fanart for the series is staggering. Allow me to instead post some cosplays:
    (1) Eren Titan
    [​IMG]
    (2) Eren Titan with everyone's favorite, the perverted Colossal Titan:
    [​IMG]
    (3) a beautiful Female Titan. Have anyone seen an Armored Titan cosplay yet?
    [​IMG]
    (4) Petra. This is strangely hilarious though.
    [​IMG]
    (5)(6) A damn-hot Mikasa, supposedly by a Russian cosplayer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (7) Mini-Mikasa.
    [​IMG]

17. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I probably will read the manga at some point, just not before the anime ends. That's what I did with JoJo's, after all.

18. meev

meev Groundskeeper

Soloman, there seems to bee a misconception here. My problem with Eren's characterization in the anime is not with his being unable to transform, that was in the manga. It was the way he did eventually transform and what caused it. You really do need to read the manga to see where I'm coming from on this, there's really no way around that.

Annie not just being a cardboard cutout villain who 'killed muh nakama' (which is certainly how they're pushing her with the cut scenes and Eren's little flashback before transforming) is pretty damn important for other reasons later on.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  19. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Just watched the finale, and...uh. I'm going to need to get on the manga pretty soon, huh. That was one hell of a stinger.

20. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    The characterization seems inconsistent compared to the manga as you get further in, as I don't want to spoil I won't elaborate.