1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Attack on Titan

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Feoffic, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Can they at some point get on with the killing instead of monologuing until the enemy finds a way out of their traps? xD

I think today was the last episode, right? A good show for all its flaws.

2. Solomon

Solomon Heir

It was the last episode, yes. At least until a potential second season (which has not been announced yet and will not commence until next year at the absolute soonest.)

3. Zeelthor

Well fuck my life. What am I to do now? :(

4. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Read the manga or find something else to watch (I suggest JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. The new adaptation that finished season 1 earlier this year. :D)

5. Zeelthor

I'm very very picky with anime. SHIELD seems promising, though.

6. Solomon

Solomon Heir

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure was better than Attack on Titan in my opinion, though not by a lot.

7. Zeelthor

That sounds like some weird lolita bullshit, though.

8. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

I thoroughly enjoyed this show. There were some moments that were far too predictable, but it did a good job with the world building. And I have a soft spot for very fatalistic stories.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  9. Solomon

Solomon Heir

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is a fighting anime, man. It's just one that starts off kinda ripping off Fist of the North Star then becoming its own, incredibly fabulous thing. The current adaptation of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (season 1) goes through the first two story arcs, Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency.

Phantom Blood is effectively a Fist of the North Star rip-off, where Jonathan Joestar must hunt down Dio Brando, who killed his father and turned himself into a vampire. It's also fantastic. Here's the first OP.

Battle Tendency is the story of Jonathan Joestar's grandson, Joseph Joestar, who needs to kill three "pillar men," who are these weird ancient creatures that created the mask Dio used to turn himself into a vampire. Joseph is basically insane and it's an absolute blast the whole way through. Here's it's OP. As you'll notice, it's fucking fabulous.

Starting with S2 the anime will go into Stardust Crusaders, where Stands get involved...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilA55DgNkWE

---------- Post automerged at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

Welp, hate to double-post (even if it'll just auto-merge this with my previous post), but I just finished marathoning the manga, and I feel like I should probably add some thoughts here.

First off: man, does reading this in manga form fucking suck. This isn't like Onepunch-man, where the artist is so good that his static panels feel animated. It's a passable read, but not ideal by any measure. Also, the mediocre at best localization job in the fan translators' hands make reading it more of a pain than it needs to be. Thank god Mangastream is working on it now.

Some sequences wind up working better in the manga, but. There are also a bunch of others that absolutely wound up working better in the anime. For example, the decision to go through the training in chronological order instead of in flashback makes so much sense I have to wonder why Isayama didn't handle it that way. Hell, Isayama needs to cool it with the flashbacks in general. For example (manga spoilers),

The way Isayama handled the Armored Titan and Colossal Titan reveal was absolute trash. Having Reiner come out to Eren, flashback to talk about there maybe being more titans around, then the actual execution of the rest of the scene is just incredibly poorly handled.

On the other hand, the filler (aside from the action filler) is largely better off absent. The scenes after the Annie reveal (with Eren transforming) actually is way better in the manga, though there's a lot of action filler in the anime version that I'm absolutely okay with being there.

Also: man, the manga went off the rails after the end of the anime, goddamn.

10. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I've just started watching this, cause it finally seems to be finished. I've avoided this thread before due to spoilers, so I have no idea what you've been discussing so far.

So... first impressions. The concept is really cool, and Giants are damn awesome, especially the 'super' ones. There are some problems already, though. The lack of animation is annoying. Sometimes the entire screen is still for several seconds. Just annoying. At least the graphical style is original enough. Then there's the protagonist, Erin? I think he's got guts, and the extent he got angry was pretty cool, but he's mostly annoying and constantly shouting. Can't these people talk normal? Looks like these were the child episodes, though, so hopefully that'll improve. The only character I actually like so far is Mikasa. Everyone else is pretty overblown cliche shit type when bad things happen. I was pretty much gleefully cheering on the Titans as they slaughtered the insipid townspeople.

11. Solomon

Solomon Heir

The animation problems do get better, yeah. The studio is pretty new and hadn't quite hit their stride in the earlier episodes, so they wound up being largely unfinished. The later episodes are much better about this, but occasionally have a weird thing or two going on.

12. Clerith

High Score:
    Well, the third episode was already loads better. Older folks, new semi-interesting characters, what looks like an art upgrade, and Mikasa is smoking hot. She's also got a crush, but the protagonist seems completely oblivious, as fucking usual. The episode was also trolling me the entire time thinking Erin is also the typical completely untalented guy, but lulz was had at the end.

I probably shouldn't turn this thread into episode-by-episode blog, so let's try watching some more before posting again.

13. Zeelthor

Get to episode five. The guy might not the brightest or the best, but he's got balls :p

14. Clerith

High Score:
    Just finished it two minutes ago. Yeah, now I remember why some Shingeki no Kyojin articles were clamoring about excessive character death a while back.

Wonder how it'd gonna continue. Probably the doctor daddy's secret drug inside of him is gonna activate and he's gonna be all "rawrr". Also, Erin is still a huge douche to Mikasa. =/

Edit: people wangsting left and right. Gods, these 'soldiers' are pathetic. Mikasa is the only good thing left in this anime. That's not to say I don't like it =p. Now seriously wondering if Erin is dead, been a while since we've seen the guy. Probably not.

Edit2: so he's an Eoten now? Okay. And full regeneration from that too! Though he's probably not going to be able to change consciously till the last episode. Sigh.

Edit 3: all the goddamn shouting! Also, looks like I was wrong, he can transform at will... somewhat. Now that they're on the run, this should be interesting.

Edit 4: episode 19. PROVE YOU'RE NOT A THREAT TO HUMANITY for the upteenth time. Geez, I really wish Erin and folks had gone on the run... being treated like humanity's entire hope / ticking nuclear bomb to be exterminated / rookie prisoner for a while really isn't fun. Feels like a lot has gone by without anything really exciting happening. Except that woman human-Eoten thingy. Constant self-doubt monologues and wangsting is getting pretty old.

Edit 5: so I finished the anime. Kinda okay feeling. Eoten were cool, and the combat scenes were awesome. But the character interactions were just usually bad. Also, I don't think we're even at the halfway point yet. I did get quite tired of being held at gunpoint, court-martials, angsty monologues and stuff, though. I also didn't like Mikasa becoming a full sidelines support character in part two, and Erin is badass when Eoten, but pathetic and kinda wimpy when not. Guy's naive and idealistic and can't deliver most of the time. Also spends a lot of his time knocked out. I feel like all he's got for is transforming, which isn't good for a protagonist. At least I can commend the anime for its character death.

Anyways, I guess I'll give this a slightly reluctant 4/5.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  15. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

So I stumbled on this. It's a fan made Attack on Titan game. It's kind of difficult. I suggest TPS mode, myself.

There are normal and abhorrent titans.

Each character has something special about them:
    Levi: Has a special spinning attack
    Mikasa: Has a downward helm splitter special that kills momentum.
    Marco: Can attract Titan's attention.
    Jean: Can escape when grabbed once.
    Armin: Can make titans laugh?

There is a multiplayer mode.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  16. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Oh god, you were watching Commie. Do not watch Commie for this series. Either get it from Horriblesubs (which rips from Crunchyroll) or GG Subs.

17. Clerith

High Score:
    Well, that's kind of late now, isn't it?

Some of the terms did sound funny, but I thought it was a decent sub otherwise.

18. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

19. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

20. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

You guys still following Attack on Titan?

I'm writing an SnK fic and wanted to see if anyone had some cool ideas/speculations/theories about the other Titan shifters and their hometown, the wall cult's secrets, rivalries and political strife between the three branches of the military, what's in the basement...