1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by ChaosSora, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Shadow Yun

Shadow Yun Squib

Somewhere outside of Plato's philosophical Cave
    Oh! The Sixth Sense is directed by him...? Well, it definitively proved my ignorance in the world of movie directors...
    Thanks for correcting me then.

2. Nobody

Nobody Backtraced

Can a Waterbender direct their piss?

3. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Downloaded the first two seasons... all I have to say is wow! Easily the best anime-style American cartoon (probably the only good one in fact).

Things I like -

1. Zuko - Best anti-villain in an American show. Period. His character is amazingly well done.

2. Sokka isn't useless. In most shows, he'd be purely comic relief. Making him an off-beat genius was a great move by the director.

3. Aang actually uses what he learns. Unlike other anime's (coughNARUTOcoughBLEACHcoughDBZ) Aang actually water and earth bends after learning them, instead of relying on his original skills. His skill progression is also relatively believable (he has a reason for advancing so quickly).

3. Uncle Iroh. As far as "wise old man" characters go, this one is superb.

4. Azula - Merciless bitch from birth. I sense no redemption for this one. This is what villains are made of, she's the Darth Vader to the fire lords Emperor.

5. Appa - Many cartoons try to give their cute/fuzzy creatures personalities. Only this one has succeeded in doing it in a believable way.

6. The romance. It actually happens. No perpetually having moments and then ignoring they happened in later episodes. The "romances" (they're 14) progression matches their ages and maturities well.

7. The fight scenes. How the fuck did they get it so right when so many have gotten it so wrong? No shitty over dramatic BS that is usual to American cartoons, and no long, drawn out pauses and flashbacks that we are subject to in anime. Zuko v Zhao in the very beginning of the series was one of the best fights I've ever seen animated.

So yeah... I'm glad you guys talked me into watching this. Now to decide whether or not to download the episodes of season three one by one, or to wait until it's done.

(BTW; Avatar has a few pieces of semi-decent fanfiction. Little dark, so it might not fit in here, but it has a few decent pieces none the less.)

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

The best part is that the martial arts they use are real. Nickelodeon really doesn't deserve to have this show.

I want more bloodbending from Katara. :(

5. ChaosSora

ChaosSora Second Year

Back when the first two seasons aired I might have disagreed with you nick not deserving Avatar (they actually did a pretty good job advertising it and playing it at a decent pace) but after all the shit they have pulled so far with Season 3 they really just no longer deserve rights to the series any more. I mean they now seem to refuse to even advertise when new episodes are on, and they even pushed back the premier of Day of Black Sun so they could show 24 hours of SpongeBob.

Really I'm going to be happy when they finally get around to showing the rest of Season Three so I can get the Season Three box set and never have to depend on nick for watching the series ever again.

Also I really hope the movies aren't complete fail, but live action to cartoon doesn't usually work to well so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Oh and I'm glad you've enjoyed the series so much so far LogrusMage.

6. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

I haven't watched any of season three yet, but I still have yet to see an episode on Nick.

Bittorrent FTW!

7. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

I'm not watching Avatar currently, but from what I have seen it is doing the job right. I'll probably actually start watching it now seeing some of the things that Logrus pointed out.

I hope the live action rendition comes out as well as all of the movies that Shyamalan has made.

Edit: Can't forget Unbreakable.

8. ChaosSora

ChaosSora Second Year

Yeah it seems that they only show Avatar on their special Nicktoons network now which kind of sucks. They used to have reruns of Avatar all the time during Seasons one and two but during three they just kind of stopped.

So far Season three is up to episode 13 (with episodes 12 and 13 having been aired in Canada at the moment) so you have the choice of either just torrenting and watching episodes 1-13 and suffering with us for a while, or waiting to Season three is over (which might take a while). You're in for a bit of a wait either way.

9. Kerrus

Kerrus DA Member

Well as far as I can tell, they're trying to milk the serious for all it's worth. Aside from 13, there's like seven, eight episodes left in season three, and then it's over, so instead of airing them in order of completion, they're airing them to try and have a new episode airing right up until the end of the year.

This coupled with the fact that the finale is probably a two or three parter ep that they want to air all at once means that we'll get the next episode somewhere around august.

10. Tarnished Blade

Tarnished Blade Professor

Torques me off, the 14th episode was seceduled to run earlier this year. But the bastards yanked it, I turned on the TV and was "treated" to that porous idiot show.

Quoted for truth. Isn't it nice that Zuko has joined the party? :devil:

But If Katara can "blood" bend, does this mean Toph can "bone" bend?

11. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Kitara can only "blood" bend when its the full moon, Toph has no such power-up. On the other hand she can break 2 feet of steel like tin foil so it's pretty balanced.

12. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Lol, a realm in which people can bend the alchemists elements of nature, with very little physical strain on their bodies (at least what I saw) and you're talking about balancing. RIIIIITTEEE

13. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Um, yes, balancing. You do realize that that is what the whole series is about, right? The balance between the 4 elements, and the 4 nations.

Or I guess 3 nations now. o_O

14. Tarnished Blade

Tarnished Blade Professor

Hm, if balance is required in this universe, would that mean that after Aang dies and there are no more airbenders . . . would all the other benders have to die to keep the balance?

15. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

Nah, that wouldn't happen, Aang goes from Monk, to King Rameses and makes many, many little airbenders.

16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

We don't know if it works like magic, Helltanz, and almost every child born to a bender can bend as well. It could be the opposite, that it might be a recessive gene, and only a quarter of their children will be able to bend.

I've wondered about that, in fact. It has to be genetic, or else there would be water benders in the fire nation, earth benders in the water nation, etc. The fact that there are separate nations within which only specific benders are born proves that it's genetic.

But cross a fire bender with a water bender, what'll you get? I can't believe that intermarriage doesn't exist within the Avatar universe.

17. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

Hmm, Sree brings ponderance, maybe its a ancestry thing, bending that is related to a genetic ancestor whose trait passed on.
    As for Aang, thats the purpose of being like Ramses, sets up excellent way to insure, have a bunch of kids with different women, at least a fraction possess airbending, that said I doubt the gene is recessive its probably present in most the population but inactive, maybe?

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rofl, that's what recessive means. You carry the gene, but it's not the dominant, so you don't display the characteristics. You can, however, pass this gene on to a kid.

19. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

Yeah I didn't mean like that, I meant more along the lines that the gene isn't strong enough to manifest, I.E.
    Every one has the potential to manipulate their heritages' element, but not everyone meets the requirement.
    Bending, well every bender has been shown to be atleast some what Martial artsy as well a menatally somewhat able and of the proper mental traits.

20. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It probably works like certain mythological breeding. Like if you breed a male centaur and a female saytr. If the child is a boy, he's a centaur and if it's a girl a Saytr.