1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Boo, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Boo

Boo Auror

Avatar is a futuristic science fiction film that describes how humans employ Avatars to evacuate peaceful aliens from their mineral-rich forests.

The story’s protagonist, Jake Sully (Sam Worthington), is a former Marine who was wounded and paralyzed from the waist down in combat on Earth. Jake is selected to participate in the Avatar program, which will enable him to walk. Jake travels to Pandora, a lush jungle-covered extraterrestrial moon filled with incredible life forms, some beautiful, many terrifying. Pandora is also home to the Na’vi, a sentient humanoid race, who are considered primitive, yet are more physically capable than humans. Standing three meters tall (approximately 10 feet), with tails and sparkling blue skin, the Na’vi live in harmony with their unspoiled world. As humans encroach deeper into Pandora's forests in search of valuable minerals, the Na’vi unleash their formidable warrior abilities to defend their threatened existence.

Jake has unwittingly been recruited to become part of this encroachment. Since humans are unable to breathe the air on Pandora, they have created genetically-bred human-Na’vi hybrids known as Avatars. On Pandora, through his Avatar body, Jake will be able to walk again. Sent deep into Pandora's jungles as a scout for the soldiers that will follow, Jake encounters many of Pandora's beauties and dangers. There he meets a young Na’vi female, Neytiri (Zoe Saldaña).

Over time, Jake integrates himself into the Na'vi clan, and begins to fall in love with Neytiri. As a result, Jake finds himself caught between the military-industrial forces of Earth and the Na’vi, forcing him to choose sides in an epic battle that will decide the fate of an entire world.

Release date(s)
    December 16, 2009 (World premiere)
    December 17, 2009 (Australia & New Zealand)
    December 18, 2009 (USA)

Sounds like a futuristic Pocahontas.

2. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It has potential, but its gonna be fucked over i'm pretty sure. The romance will be over done, it will be cheesy, it will have cliched moments that make us groan and put our hands over our faces.

I'm fucking calling it now.

The special effects will be mind blowing though. I'll probably watch it just for that.

4. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Natives are going to win, too, I bet.

5. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Of course. This movie will probably be about how evil, greedy and selfish we humans are. Of course we don't win. We have to learn people, taking things that aren't ours to begin with is a naughty thing to do.

Naughty. Leave the nice aliens alone.

6. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

LAWL, quoted for truth.

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD THE WOLF CRY TO THE BLUE FULL MOOOON-

Well, it's James Cameron, soooo ¯\(º_o)/¯

Well, it's James Cameron, soooo ¯\(º_o)/¯

No doubt about it, especially considering their budget.

Although I'm hoping they make the aliens lose, it wouldn't surprise me. I mean, even Wall-E was a fairly blatant political statement, and that was a kids movie.

I wonder if the aliens will win like "we" did in Independence Day, but by using some weird alien biological virus instead of a computer virus. I mean, they're a planet of spear-chuckers and a few oversized animals...

And regrets for Zoe Saldana being a character voice; she makes me feel tingly in that special place 8D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  7. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

I don't get it. If the humans want some kind of quasi-diamond, and the Avatar's home just happens to be there, then why don't the Avatar just move? I mean there is a lot of vegetative land masses to go around. I understand that they should be fighting for their home, but seriously, is it really worth dying over?

From what I have gathered there isn't really many Avatars in the planet itself, so if they were to move then it wouldn't be like they would have to fight another tribe to live there. I just think this is a very bad example of a futuristic Native vs. America movie.

At least make it so that no other place is inhabitable. Then I can understand why they would fight so hard for that particular strip.

Also, it looks like they just copied the cat girls from the Dr. Comet hentai series, or Yellow Pop. The main girl looks exactly like one of the cat girls in Yellow Pop, right down to the nose, minus the ponytail.

I would post a link, but I am not sure that is allowed.

8. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

So did anyone see this week`s South Park? Apparently the Avatar is the movie version of the Smurfs :awesome .

Making a 500 million dollar movie is a bad idea, if it`s not in 3D I`m not going to see it.

9. Boo

Boo Auror

The Na'vi are a race of sentient extraterrestrial humanoids who inhabit the moon Pandora.
    An Avatar is a human mind transferred into a genetically engineered body of a Human/Na'vi hybrid.

I would think that there is more than just one tribe. That means few places to go.
    Easy to start at the richest vein of Unobtanium. Fastest way to profit.

That just sounds cool.
    I knew it. He didnt really change anything. Watch, Neytiri will have a tree for a grandmother.
    Jake Sully = John Smith
    Neytiri = Pocahontas
    Unobtanium = Gold
    Pandora = New World

Source

10. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wait... Unobtanium? Seriously?

11. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

It beat out "Nosoupforyoutium" by thiiiiiis much.

12. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Will take my lil sis, and watch it for the graphics, with a budget like that they better be mind blowing.

13. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

This sounds like a morality tale for 8-year-olds. I'll watch it for the special effects and hope that the heavy-handed message doesn't kill me before the movie is over.

14. Syrosaka

Syrosaka Fifth Year

I'm honestly stoked to see this. As far as movies go, the plot usually doesn't have to be magnificent to keep me happy. The special effects will, as previously stated, be awesome. AND, I like Pocahontas. So I think I'm good.

15. Sol

Sol High Inquisitor

16. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Yeah! Aliens win, Humans are losers and should GTFO cause they're totally not trying to freakin fix thier planet by finding some other source of energy but yeah Aliens win!

:| My impression that is. Should probably wait to actually see it to say anything but yeah.