1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Avengers: Endgame (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by ScottPress, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, the impression I always had was that Ultron (and subsequently Vision) was mostly Tony's work. After all, he was the one was an expert in robotics and AI. Which isn't to say that Banner wasn't making important contributions, but it was probably more along the lines of being a sounding board for Tony's ideas and helping him out when he hit a roadblock.

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Funny thing, apparently the writers and the directors disagree over the ending and they gave two different explanations of that scene in two different interviews. The directors said Cap went to the past that then became the alternative timeline and later went back. The writers said that the branching only happened when you removed the Infinity Stones and the Cap was in the main timeline all along. In my opinion the director version is less problematic, but I suppose the writers are probably the guys who actually made these rules while writing the screenplay.

3. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, i agree with most of it, just disagreed on what Banner said in IW. But a rewatch sounds like a great idea anyway so I'll go do that.

Don't think of it as Time Travel. Think of it as Vertical Universe Travelling.

The thing is, they only created those Alternate Realities by taking out the stones. By returning the stones, you destroy that reality (As explained with the conversation between Banner and The Ancient One). If Cap returned the Teseract in 1970 (Thereby destroying that timeline), then he can jump to 1940 in his own timeline. All he has to do is stay out of the limelight and he would have technically always been there.

4. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Saw it again. Best descriptor for my feelings is satisfied. I think Infinity War was a better movie but it had less than half the emotional impact. I'm also not thinking too hard about it, which helps. There are a few holes that I'm quite deliberately ignoring for the sake of nostalgia and overall enjoyment.

Won't bother ranking all of them, but my list starts:
    1. Winter Soldier
    2. Infinity War
    3. Ragnarok
    4. Endgame
    5. Guardians Vol 1
    6. Black Panther
    7. Homecoming
    8. Civil War

Was cool to see Thanos show out. He literally just used the stones in Infinity War so seeing what made him so terrifying without them was fucking dope to me. Cap with the the hammer is probably my favorite scene, followed closely by Spidey swinging with the guantlet, followed closely by Wanda wrecking Thanos' shit. Whole last sequence was awesome.

Ton of fun and a great sendoff for the original six. Curious where they go from here and very much excited.

5. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

So I also got finally around to seeing it (and let me tell you avoiding spoilers when you work part-time in a cinema is a bitch) and I have to admit that I liked it less than I expected. I am never a big fan of time-travel stuff, especially of the "don't change the past" variant and while I guess it was a serviceable enough explanation for how they could defeat Thanos it didn't seem very inspired or interesting to me. And I am really not sure what to think of the whole bring them back five years into the future thing since that should have some very serious repercussions on the whole setting (and was I the only chuckling at the idea of what a mess this would be realistically speaking? All those people who moved on, began a new chapter of their life etc. suddenly being confronted with people for which the last five years never happened?) The cast was okay even if the new Hulk design wasn't my thing and I don't really care for either Captain America or Antman and while I understood why they changed Thor they way they did I still prefer his infinity/Ragnarok version.

Thanos was great though and I wonder how they plan to top him since I don't think that simply giving an enemy even more power is going to work well. And despite the fact that the movie was really long it actually never felt that long to me and indeed I would have liked to see a bit more of the battle at the end.

Though honestly if i had to view the movie on its own I would probably view it far more critically and perhaps even as a failure but as the ending to an era/series of movies it worked reasonably well.

6. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

My question, because I think I missed something along the way, is:

Their plan was to go to the past, retrieve the stones, return to the present, bring everyone back that was dusted, and finally return to the past to put the stones back when they were taken.

After a short beginning, we have a screen shot of "Five Years Later."

So we're in the future now. The plan was to bring everyone back, specifically to to the future (Five Years Later) so the timeline doesn't get whacked, Tony won't lose his daughter, etc. We can conclude that it's the future now (five years later) and everyone is back.

Here's my question. Why is Ned still in High School when Peter goes to bro-hug him? Did I miss something?

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Explanation: Ned was dusted too. I think they'll touch on that in Far From home...

8. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, considering half the world's population got Snapped, we can probably assume that plenty of secondary characters were dusted. I do wonder if Aunt May got Snapped as well, or if she was around for five years without Peter.

9. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They'll probably keep May non dusted so that there's the potential for drama or how May might worry over Peter.

Likewise, I think it would also provide an opportunity for characters that might have been 5 years younger than MJ, Ned and Peter to suddenly be int heir age group. It could be a good way to introduce someone like Gwen Stacy or Harry Potter.

10. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like the way you think

11. Kevizoid

Kevizoid Seventh Year

Alright, who is gonna man up and write the HP/Avengers crossover starting from half the wizarding world getting dusted by Thanos?

12. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, you had the idea...

13. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Keeping with this time's theme (Daphne Greengrass), one approach could be that out of their Hogwarts graduating class, only Harry and Daphne get dusted. When they come back, everyone else has moved on: the only people they can relate to anymore are each other.

14. Mestre

Mestre Professor

Or the whole wizard world got snapped and Harry is actually noobmaster69, who hears Hulk and Thor discussion about time travel and joins the gang.

15. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Even before I saw Endgame, I had a half-baked idea where Harry joins the Avengers after everyone he cares about gets Snapped. Now, I'd picture him running into Hawkeye and joining him on a general quest for vengeance during those 5 years.

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Carnivorous Muffin has an Avengers 3 crossover with their HP/Naruto crossover.

Basically Lee (AKA Eleanor Potter AKA Fem!Harry who ended up in the Naruto verse at a young age) and her apprentice Obito are the only two people in all of Konoha who aren't snapped.

They go hang with Cap to try and sort it out.

17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    HP/MCU fusion involving Endgame will run into problems with time travel mechanics.

Otoh, would be interesting to try and come up with a Potter style closed loop solution for the Snap within the constraints of the state of the world after the time skip in Endgame.

18. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    That situation could be circumvented by making time turners unavailable / saying that the Unspeakables responsible for rebuilding the TT collection got snapped.

19. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Switching spell on the infinity gauntlet just before Thanos snaps. At the moment he snaps, you snap too, using the infinity stones to not kill everyone but rather send them all forward in time to the moment of your time travel. Simultaneously you create a universe-wide illusion that replicates the appearance of the original snap.