1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Avengers: Endgame (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by ScottPress, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Probably, but like I said, I would prefer the final fight to be with Thanos that won. He was the one that had a history with these Avengers and it would add more to their interactions instead of him having just a second hand information about what happened.

2. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Yeah, I can see your point. I felt they had to strike a compromise between not letting Thanos off the hook for five years when Captain Marvel & "deep space scans" exist and even getting a version of him to Earth in the first place. As such, I quite like the way they worked it out. His death was beautifully shot, and befitting of the character we knew.

3. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

The thing is sympathetic Thanos ain't a realistic thanos. That's just not how psychopaths operate. When the goings good they can be the nicest, kindest most charismatic people you'd ever meet. When things go against them, well.

It's quite telling that in the face of his original plan not working, he doesn't try to find a different way to achieve his goals of a balanced universe. Instead he just decides to wipe out the remaining half of the population as well. Death and destruction are all that he knows.

Endgame doesn't impugn the characterisation done on thanos in infinity war in that regard. Instead it pushes him through the crucible. He sees his plans of a harmonious universe will fail. He knows his own daughter will turn against him. All that he's been working towards, all those ideals and his fundamental understanding about the universe; all of it turns to ash. What emerges from the crucible is the true measure of a man. And Thanos is definitely not a very likeable person in the end. We see Thanos as his best and worst selves and that's what makes his arc interesting for me.

4. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just got out of the theater.

Wow.

9.5/10. Minor nitpicks but one of the best movies of all time.

Ten years...and they lived up to the hype.

5. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

What an amazing movie. I don't even have any real nitpicks. It was that good to me. I live in a small town 20-30k people. There were 8 showings of the movie tonight (first night out and 100+ seats per theater), and at least 6 of them were sold out and I don't know how the 10:40 and 10:30 movies did. The audience cheered and clapped and so many laughs from a packed theater. You could even hear the sniffles at Tony's death. You could also easily hear the many womanly cheers when the Marvel women came together in the final battle. It might have seemed slightly cheesy to me, but to them it really meant something.

This movie really had it all. I can only hope Feige convinces the Russo brothers to come back for future films. I really felt like I was a kid again watching the end of Return of the King in theaters. This movie was such an amazing event. So much credit to Feige and the Russo's and the writers. Plus all the actors delivered an amazing performance. I even thought Scarlet Johanson gave her best acting performance since Winter Soldier. She really shined in her role along with RDJ and Evans. Its good to see that Hemsworth is sticking around for future films with the goodbyes given to Cap and Tony. Thor and the Guardians should be a very interesting combination. Though I do feel like this movie sent Guardians 3 into a completely different direction than what Gunn originally planned....

6. wermys

wermys Muggle

Considering that they thought he was going to come back they had to set something up as an alternative for Taika.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

What does it say about me that I completely didn't notice whatever "Marvel women" moment y'all are talking about? I feel like it's been mentioned at least twice here and maybe I saw it somewhere else too.

The only thing I can remember in hindsight was a scene where Black Panther's little sister had her gloves on and was acting all threatening with other characters - but I don't recall if they were all women. I just noted that she probably wasn't on the front lines like that normally - she's a techie with a nice trinket who played support unless forced to do otherwise, etc.

8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

When Captain Marvel gets the glove and the entire female cast shows up to 'clear the way' for her. It felt very jarring to me because... the characters themselves called attention to the fact that it was all women, instead of it just happening organically and being 'oh cool, girl power' in hindsight.

9. Arthellion

High Score:
    I thought it was a cool scene and empowering for women. Fan service? Yeah but it was cool.

Captain Marvel did nothing for her likability in this movie though and I can’t stand her character.

I cheered when thanos punched her out.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  10. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

FYI, Sam Wilson becomes Captain America in the comics so this is the movie version of that succession.

IIRC, first time I heard about it was Chris Myers’ Polarity.

11. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

@Arthellion: I also heard someone in my theater cheer pretty loudly when Carol got punched out by Thanos. She really hasn't made that many fans. It probably didn't help her that they took her out of almost the entire film. I was really surprised to see that she wasn't in this film more.

12. Arthellion

High Score:
    If she's supposed to be one of the main leads for the next generaiton, I'm somewhat concerned. Firstly, her power levels are way over the top. She can work in the cosmic level where you have Thor and all them, but on earth? Not so much. I'm fine with her staying off earth.

Then her personality...it's feels like all of the bluntness and arrogance of Tony Stark, but without his charm that makes him lovable.

Strange, T'Challa, and Spiderman will hopefully be the main faces and leaders of the coming movies.

I really hope they lean into Spiderman being force to grow up and become a leader for the new avengers.

13. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I'm pretty sure this will happen, I can picture an early scene in the next spiderman movie where he finds out Tony has left him access to his labs/research infrastructure, and this paves the way for him to start developing into the genius Peter Parker that we haven't seen too much of yet in the Tom Holland iteration.

14. Arthellion

High Score:
    The far from home interactions between Nick Fury and Peter will be huge for how they take the character long term imo.

15. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Just saw the move. It was amazing.

A really fitting end to what happened.

Yes there are some complaints but I really just want to focus on the good parts. The interactions in between Iron Man, Cap, and Thor were really the best part of this film. They got the send off they deserved.

Personally, I really like what they did with Thor and the way they are keeping him in the MCU. I really liked the Guardians/Thor interactions in Infinity War and at the end of Endgame. Especially when you consider Ragnarok!Thor (been through a lot but the movie was generally a joking/happy one) I think he will fit in well there.

Iron Man's send of had me really sad. Given that Happy is in the Far From Home trailer, I'm hoping Tony left Peter something. It would be really nice if there are Cameos from RDJ in future Spiderman movies in the form of recorded messages for Peter. That said, I don't really see how they would fit in. I loved his funeral scene (even though it made me sad) because looking at everyone who came, it felt like all of Iron Man's children. Watching that scene, I could only think that these are all the characters that came in spin offs of the original Iron Man movie. Truly amazing. So much character growth for him as well. Finally getting in touch with him emotions. Clearly still has an ego but it's a lovable one. When he said "I am Iron Man", I flashed back to the original movie and thought about how far he had come. He finally had the sense of duty and the heart to sacrifice himself, even though he had a lot to lose.

As for Cap, I really think that the ending was a good one. As soon as I found out there would be time travel in Endgame, I called that he would go back in time to dance with Peggy. Definitely needed an end for that one.

The way I see it, Hawk-Eye probably won't be coming back for another movie. This was a good chance to shine for an OG Avenger that never got much screen time.

I don't know what they're going to do with Hulk. Would have been nice if he had gone with Thor imo. I really liked their interactions in Thor 3.

That said, I'll agree that CM came off as arrogant. Maybe it is because I didn't see her movie but she felt like she barely belonged. She wasn't in the movie often and when she was, she wasn't really a team player, which is all the Avengers movies are about. For me, Marvel movies are things to watch to laugh, and feel happy. CM's character also rarely smiled, even when the Avengers were joking around with each other. I don't know if it's the writing or the actress, but this is the first Marvel character that has truly fallen flat with me.

That brings me to the last OG Avenger. Black Widow. I truly feel that if they wanted to go the strong woman route, they should have kept Black Widow instead of CM. BW isn't the most powerful but it would have been interesting to see her work with Nick Fury to build up and mentor the next generation of Avengers. She had an established character and especially knowing that this was her only real family, it would have made sense for her to stick around.

I'm really looking forward to Far From Home and the movies to come. I want to see where they are going to take the MCU going forward.

That said, the first three phases where a story that came to a great end. I'll always remember this series as a great one and looking forward to re watching it when I am old, retired, and looking back on life. I wonder if the amazing one-liners and scenes it contained (especially from Iron Man) will fill me with the same childlike joy then as they do now.

16. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    I enjoyed Captain Marvel a lot more in her solo film than in Endgame. I’d say the enmity and friction between her and the original Avengers was partly by design, and partly because the writers struggled with the same thing the audience did – how to fit the character into established dynamics and established power levels. As such, I was quite pleased with how they handled her power level – better suited to space than close combat. That might keep her away from Earth in the future.

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I really liked Marvel's attitude and character in her movie. Didn't get to see it shine here.

18. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

"... I went for the head."

19. Arthellion

High Score:
    One of the things I appreciated most about Endgame was how they addressed all the "little questions"

"Why don't you go back and kill baby thanos?" etc.

I thought all of that was well done.

20. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The fucking umbilical charade was golden. I about lost my shit.