1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Avengers: Endgame (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by ScottPress, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Agreed with Taure, and I find it strange that people are even having trouble seeing what was so unnatural about the way they set that scene up. I'm completely fine with the idea of an all woman scene doing something awesome, but they literally had them continuously slide in from off screen and it didn't even make sense for some of them to be there, let alone singularly congregated together in one part of the battlefield. Others have mentioned Shuri but there's also Mantis, entirely unarmed and unarmored - is she just running around trying to put enemies to sleep with her hands?

I think there was something awkward around the way it was edited in general to be honest in comparison to some of the previous examples of long panning shots of groups in other Avengers movies.

Edit: @Ched I doubt Tony would snap Gamora, at that point she'd betrayed Thanos to help Nebula and Quill hadn't she? I imagine the infinity gauntlet is capable of making discernments like that when Tony is thinking something along the lines of 'destroy Thanos and all his forces'. Plus like I mentioned earlier in the thread, Quill was running a search for Gamora on his screen (the one he and Thor fought over) implying he believes she's still around somewhere.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Probably said it already but my only issue with the scene was the fact that they had to call attention to the fact it was all women. If it had just happened it would of been 'oh, oh cool!' even if improbable, but the fact that they all Spidey-sensed that they needed to be there right then was what made it weird.

The male equivalent would have been Ironman, Captain America, Thor, Starlord, Dr Strange, the Hulk, Black Panther, Antman et all showing up when Spiderman grabbed the gauntlet and being "We got your back bro!"

Calling that shit out as you do it in the movie is the equivalent of asking for a pat on the back.

3. Jon

I think it depends what Tony's 'snap' syntax was.

[Get rid of everyone who isn't supposed to be in this timeline] vs [Wipe out Thanos and his Army] type deal.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Both of those would get rid of Gamora.

Unless he's trusting the stones to make judgements based on which side people currently feel like they're on - and even then Gamora would be more 'not Thanos' and less 'pro Earth' at this point.

I was just curious if there was a reason people thought she might be around. To me it felt a given that she wasn't so it's curious - especially since it would make more sense for future movies if she existed for $$$?

5. Jon

Honestly with the timelines, how does it work that Thanos from the past and his entire army got wiped?

6. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Alternate realities. Whenever they went into the past of their own, it immediately split off. When they went forward, they were going forward and over one reality.

Well that was the theory I had before Cap went back for Carter. That really fucked things up.

7. Jon

Yeah but...

So tl;dr as long as the Infinity Stones arent removed from a reality permanently any other change is fine? Is what I'm sort of getting from it.

8. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not so much in a "If a reality does not have the Stones it will fail" way, but more a "If we do not have these powerful weapons to defend ourselves we will fall" way.

9. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Saw it. Loved it. Not gonna bother with much else.

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Shinysavage when Spidey meets up with Ned, I assumed Ned also got snapped and now they're back. Snapped people got returned as they went, same age, at least that's my assumption. If Ned wasn't snapped, then either they fucked up with him still in high school, or he dropped out, or it's a college with very high school-like lockers.

Gamora was charging with the good guys against Thanos' army in the final battle, she was clearly already having doubts about Thanos in 2014, given that this was the year she joined up with Guardians against Ronan (one of Thanos' guys). So I can buy the Mind Stone being able to tell the difference and not counting her as part of Thanos' army for Tony's snap. Recall that AoU suggested the Mind Stone itself was like an AI.

State of the world should be an absolute mess what with 4 billion people suddenly reappearing with no memory of the last five years. Spidey's next film was described as taking place right after Endgame, so I expect at least a token mention for worldbuilding purposes.

Since Marvel is already here, she should be kept strictly to cosmic scale threats in future films. I wouldn't buy her in any conflict of lesser weight than Thanos.

I think I'll feel more longing for the loss of Natasha than Tony. Iron Man had a rich send off and Thanos was a personal nemesis for Tony more than any other Avenger barring perhaps Thor. If you're gonna write out arguably the biggest character in your cinematic universe, there was no better way to do it. Natasha and Clint are the only two of the OG 6 who never had a solo movie, or even a team up movie just for them. Yeah, they were by necessity outliers in a superpowered team, but still... I'll miss her. Nat was an A-class supporting character.

11. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

The fact that Quill is searching for Gamora at the end is a clue. He's aware that Thanos killed present version and both he and Nebula were probably close to the past version of her on the battlefield to be aware if she turned to dust with the rest.

My interpretation is she survived, but didn't want to stay with the Guardians who are strangers to her. Wouldn't be surprised if Nebula actually had information where she went, but keeps it to herself.

12. Jon

You mean like.. the main timeline that thanos snapped away? the main MCU doesn't have them anymore, we had to borrow them from the past. So either that 'threat' is specific to past events e.g Dormamu, or we boned.

13. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah but there's reliable time travel tech now, so if Stones are needed again, they can borrow them from the past again.

14. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I could do without seeing her wooden acting and flat as a board ass again. She’s terrible.

Beyond that, fucking spectacular movie. Thor Lebowski will live on in infamy.

15. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

If they just had him show up on the platform it would all be clear. However in the true tradition of this board I’m going to say the Ancient One helped him out. A wizard did it.

16. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

So after trying in vain to avoid any spoilers, finally managed to see it today. And have to say, I feel overwhelmed... in a good way. Still waiting for it to all sink in I suppose.

"I am Iron Man." Indeed

17. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

So am I to understand that this went nothing like the comics? None of the Celestial beings showed up.

18. sage1000

sage1000 Fourth Year

I'm really interested in OG Captain's Mad Adventure.

What Timeline did he settle in? What role did he play there? Did he wake up that's timeline Captain America? Did he fight Hydra with his future knowledge etc

Also there is a timeline where Hydra thinks Cap is a double agent.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  19. fire

fire Order Member

Watched Endgame today. Will type out more sophisticated thoughts on the movie later, once I've had more time to think about it (and less drunk), but for now let's just say that I think this is the epic of our times, the modern answer to those world-heroic stories like the Iliad and Odyssey.

20. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wait..there's confusion over gamora? I thought it was pretty obvious she and Nebula peaced out and the next guardians movie will be them hunting for her.

Yeah...it somewhat suspends disbelief that the world can go back to the "status quo." Unless of course Hulk's snap restored infrastructure etc.

Y'all. Imagine the insurance companies. People show up and their houses/cars etc. were blown away.