1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Awaken Sleeper by Water Mage - T - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Memory King, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I don't have my copy of HBP with me, but I seem to remember Dumbledore touching the rocks or something for a minute, and then going all "Tom, really, how crude." Then he did the whole blood opens doorway thing. Someone who ha s their book can double check.

2. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Dumbledore said that magic always leaves traces. Of course Potter and Dresden magic might be different and therefore unsensible for each other.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Though in DH we're told no one can track apparation.

4. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

Indicating that you cannot get the destination of the Disapparated person from the traces left behind, not that there are no traces.

5. Calen

Calen Fourth Year

Harry and Aurora will get married? WTF? Did I miss that? Did he mention that somewhere in a previous chapter?

6. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

There married?? Well, that's new.

7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Look at how the information is presented, it's supposed to be a surprise you tool. :p

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

It's Harry Potter. Wouldn't be the same without the inconsistent bullshit.

Edit: Oh yeah, good chapter.

9. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

Finally read this thing, don't know why I held off for so long. It's good, really good. Other than a grammatical mistakes that really take the wind out of your story's sails.

And, now that above reviews have established that HP wizards can indeed sense magic, in some way, and you have already shown previously that Dresden wizards can sense HP's magic, will Potter start showing some of that sense?
    That will be contradictory though, no? Potter already explained in the last chapter that he didn't have the sort of sense for magic that Dresden wizards do. But then, that doens't mean he can't sense magic at all, in some different way.

Care to clarify that for me?

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Saying "Harry Potter wizards can sense magic" isn't really true. Dumbledore could sense magic, if he really tried, and Harry commented that it was a kind of magic that he'd never seen or heard of before.

I doubt that it's a common skill.

11. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Taure speaks the truth. Though, Harry is pretty ignorant of shit most of the time.

12. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

I just read the short story Something Borrowed.

So Harry married the Summer Lady. One of the most powerful Sidhes. And since there's a blending of energies... That means what?

Did Water Mage write this in with that in mind or is that something negligible?

13. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

Point noted. However, Water Mage's Potter doesn't seem as much of an idiot as the canon one by DH and considering that he was smart enough to somehow be able to mix Dresden verse magic and his own, to an extent, he might be able to figure out some way to sense magic himself. Maybe. I can always hope, no?

@White Rabbit: Craps! How did I forget that. Yeah, it'd be awesomely cool if it has consequences and whether Potter knows about them.

14. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

But the question is, what in the hell compelled them to get hitched in the first place??! Ah well, better wait for the next chapter.

15. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Damn it! I felt I could patiently wait for the next chapter till the last line, now I am desperate for more. It would be interesting if Dresden herd that last comment.

16. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Awesome to see an update. I really liked the scene on the Outside and how that lead to the marriage. I thought it was interesting to see how you portrayed it because I think it differs from many of the other authors and maybe the book? Not too many glaring grammar mistakes. It was very enjoyable overall, but we're left with a cliff hanger so I hope you can finish the next chapter soon. Good job.

17. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome... Yeah, you get the point.

18. MellowYellow

MellowYellow Fourth Year DLP Supporter

That sums it up nicely.

19. winkingsequence

winkingsequence Squib

He put the Outside in the back of his mind and kept his eye on the purple prize. His home was somewhere out there beyond the Outer Gates. It wasn’t hard to ignore the well of power that hovered so tantalizingly close to his own magic. It was warm and bright like the sun and it begged to be noticed. Whatever. He had cheated death once again. Only this time he hadn’t come out of it free of price.

That statement seems contradictory to the lines that follow

20. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Does it? I'm pretty sure that refers to the link between Aurora and himself. That's the price he had to pay that the last line refers too, so I'm not sure where you see a contradiction.