1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Awaken Sleeper by Water Mage - T - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Memory King, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

I'm not too up to date on the Dresden-verse, which probably led to my confusion. Perhaps there are less Warden's than I thought, which would give a reason for them being more powerful than if there were hundreds of them. (By the way, is a Warden a wizard policeman? And if not, then why are they casting spells?)

My issue with Peter's magical ability is refering to the fight itself, not to his normal levels. Yes, emotion heightens Dresden magic, but being drunk and irrational surely doesn't (?).

Just keep the scene. Its fine, it does what you wanted it to do, I'm just nitpicking.

Indeed. Curb stomp fics get old fast after the first chapter, no matter what the crossover.

2. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Once upon a time, there were, like, what, 200? But the Reds killed most of them in DB, I think.

3. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A lot of them died, yes, but in Small Favor, he mentions that he's been taking part in a lot of training for the newbies, so there must be more by now.

Another interesting point is that DF magic is mostly elemental based, whereas HP magic most certainly isn't. So they might be a bit mismatched because of that. Also, @ whoever mentioned that drunkennness would in no way enhance magical skill, imagine what that Warden would have been like if he wasn't drunk.

Also, now Harry will be being chased by the Council for attacking a Warden...

**looking forward to update...**

4. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Actually, the 'elemental based' part are evocations (I think), which is the fast and dirty type of magic. The real Dresden-verse magic is called Thaumaturgy, which, while much more power full, takes more time to cast, and is harder to use on the battlefield.

It's not like your enemy is just going to give you five minutes to cast a strong spell to kill them with.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The thing is, the Harry Potter and Dresden magic systems are mismatched, and ignoring this just to avoid one beating the other is not going to gain you anything. There are many things that Harry Potter magic can do that Dresden magic can't - apparition, for example, and (I think) transfiguration. Harry Potter magic also carries far less cost and mental strain than Dresden magic, has a wider ranger of spells that can be used in a duel-like situation and is generally quicker, needing nothing but a wand and a word or two.

On the other hand, Dresden magic also has advantages over HP magic, most significantly the ability of Dresden-wizards to cast magic by distance, using things like blood, hair, toenails etc.

6. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Dresden magic does have its own form of transfiguration. The Loup-Garou and Hexenwulf are examples, as is the fact that one of the seven laws of magic is 'Thou shalt not transform others' implying that there's much more to it as well.

7. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's clear from that article that transfiguration in HP and transformation in Dresden are different though. In transfiguration, you don't need to know everything about the transfiguration for it to work.

For example, you can easily turn things into animals, but you don't need to know anything about that animal for it to work. However, in Dresden you do.

In addition, all examples of transformation that we have seen in Dresden have been achieved by a much longer and harder process than transfiguration - transfiguration takes a word and a wave of a wand.

9. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

In response to all the negative comments regarding Harry's verbalisation of his spells during the duel, I would say, "Cool it".

Yes, Harry, being an Auror and all, should no doubt be very competent at non-verbal casting. But don't forget he spent a considerable amount of time without his magic, and in fact, nearly giving up hope that magic existed. His life had been turned upside-down in a single night and he has found himself in a vastly different reality.

Under such circumstances, I think it is reasonable that he is more cautious and wary with magic. He doesn't even know if it works exactly the same way it had in his "world". When caught up in a fight, I can see why he wants to be absolutely sure that his spells and such are not going to go funky or something, even if that meant foregoing non-verbal casting, which from canon seems to require a great deal of concentration and focus and is obviously more challenging than regular casting.

Add that to the fact that he is probably guessing that his opponent does not seem to recognise the incantation of his spells and it understandable why the author thought verbal casting would suffice in this case.

10. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

...I, did not expect this development.

So Harry's in a temporary furor, it's hard to say what his real feelings are – are Lily and James his enemies now?

Amazing.

5/5

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not enemies per say, since the Venatori Umbrorum are allies of the White Council, but I think they've realised that Harry is not the Harrison they knew.

On a positive note I liked the meeting with the Council, bringing in Martha Liberty was quite surprising to me, I just expected a couple of wardens or maybe a nominal member of the Council. Not one of the senior members. Must have been a pretty bad case of Black Magic if they had to bring in a Senior Council member to deal with them.

Aiden's picture looks pretty promising, though I doubt it will be entirely accurate. Seeing the future rarely is.

Aekiel

12. neren

neren Slug Club Member

Wow, just another amazing chapter. It always seems like there's not enough of it. I loved the way you introduced the White Council, the Wardens, and the Venatori Umbrorum. It flowed smoothly and explains it quite well to someone who hasn't read Dresden Files. I feel that I understand enough to recognize their importance and power.

13. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Bloody hell that was a great chapter! The Venatori Umbrorum idea was great, and it was nice seeing Harry put down dear old Pete. Do James and Lily think "Harrison" is delusional again then? Or do they know somehow that Harrison’s exited stage left and now Harry’s running the show?

Anyway, brilliant edge of the seat stuff, 5/5

14. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

So, do his parents know that this isn't their Harry? His magic display was bad ass.

This is getting really interesting. How come Harry hasn't been pulled into a soul gaze yet? Surely Harry doesn't know what it is so he would accidentally be pulled into one since he doesn't know to not look into someone's eyes. Ever wonder what you would see if pulled into a soul gaze with Harry? The guy has been through so much shit and done so much it would probably leave a person terrified with him.

Oh, and will Marcone have anything to do with James and his business? I can picture Marcone trying to strong arm James. Would be an interesting story arc.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  15. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Interesting twist, a secret society who make things harder politicly for supernatural creatures... that's very dresden universe.

Although I have some criticisms.

I think the end was a bit rushed... and Harry gave up his secret to quickly. Where was the manipulative Harry who could manipulate psychiatrists and family he had never met.

I'm not saying play it completely dumb but the sudden snap and reveal was a bit too reckless.

Sam kinda bugged me, that "you owed me ( a person you just met ) complete honesty thing was very reminiscent of fanfiction Hermione and Ginny, demanding information from harry when they think he's keeping secrets simply because their acquaintances. If some bar chick got all prissy with me in real life, honestly I'd find another bar. Not necessarily an option, but still not likely to happen in real life.

I can see her being a little wary of him, maybe, but not that pushy. Honestly what would you do if you were her...?

Oh and Aiden is giving away too many knowing looks, even for a super freak like him, thats just not normal.

Otherwise, it was a good chapter. I'm curious to see where Aiden fits in now that its confirmed that James and lily know magic. And just how powerful they are as magical users. Are they even considered wizards?

And for that matter, if Lily's family was part of this society, does that mean petunia would be as well. Does she exist?

16. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Definitely bad ass. :D

Yeah, Harry doesn't know, but everyone else does.
    Harry will probably wonder why nobody will look him in the eyes at some point or another.

Or I could be completely wrong, idk.

17. Dnarg

Dnarg Squib

Actually, Peter looks Harry in the eyes, and there was no indication of him breaking contact so I was curious as to why he didn't get pulled into a soulgaze...

edit: Although it could be because Harry doesn't look back into Peter's, but the way he reacts makes me think that he does.

18. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

You're so evil...

I hope you can keep up the fast update rate.

I love what you've done so far and definitely need MOAR.

5/5

19. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

@Taure:

Magic in Dresden files is more about symbolism and drawing connections between people and ideas. It is more powerful in certain situations, but it also requires more time, effort, and emotion. It also has a more 'Wiccanish' feel with the magic circles and pentagrams and stuff.

For example, in HP potions are a product of reactions between substances such as (magical) plants, animal parts, etc. It is basically the magical version of chemistry. It's a science where one needs to know laws, reactions, etc.

Potions in Dresden files is about combining ingredients that symbolize the mind, body, spirit, earth, etc, and then adding magic to it. It's a lot less strict in that you could probably use wildly different ingredients and get the same outcome as long as they are symbolically similar, whereas in HP potions have strict recipes, and even though they can be altered and improved upon (see HBP), the ingredients and processes largely stay the same.

This is true for the magic system also. It may seem on the surface that HP magic is more versatile and useful, but a careful examination reveals that they both have their strengths and weaknesses, and it cannot be said that one is inherently superior to the other.

HP has apparition, brooms, transfiguration, charms (I doubt Dresden can make a pineapple dance or make dishes wash themselves), and wands are useful and very quick in duels.

DF has magic circles, evocation (essentially wandless magic), swords that can cut through enchantments, greater options for tracking and cursing someone if you have their hair, blood, etc, veils (although Dumbledore seems to be able to veil himself), nasty sacrificial type black magic, heart destroying curses, etc.

They are pretty much equal when you get down to it. It doesn't seem that hard to reconcile the differences in the systems when making a crossover. Shezza did it real well, and from what little we've seen so far in Awaken Sleeper, Water Mage has done pretty good, although it's only 6 chapters in.

20. Erud

Erud First Year

Good chapter. The Venatori are a great concept and I wish they'd receive more attention in canon. I have only one complaint. The final scene could be a bit more descriptive, maybe you should add a bit more about what goes on in Harry's head.