1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Awaken Sleeper by Water Mage - T - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Memory King, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

I'm curious as to what is going to go on with regards to Harry and the White Council. He's blatantly disrespected a member of the senior council, and they know who he is. Powerful as Harry is, certain aspects of Dresdenverse magic could catch him off guard. (Thaumaturgy, and all that jazz) Maybe apparating around in front of a Warden, even a drunk one, wasn't such a good idea. Harry's going to need to keep his cards close to his chest for this one.

2. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Even without appartation Harry can still cast glamour charms, use animagus transformation (if he knows it) and some other things I am sure I didn't think of.

...Harry should create a racing broom :p

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Age line, Property line, protection spells the Trio cast around their campsites in DH, charms Flitwick cast around Hogwarts in DH.

All Harry Potter magic is effectively evocation using a wand.

Sword of Gryffindor.

As I said earlier, Thaumaturgy is Dresden magic's biggest advantage.

Dumbledore's invisibility spell, Disillusionment, invisibility cloaks.

Again, Thaumaturgy. Basically, in evocation HP>Dresden by a long way, in thaumaturgy Dresden>HP by a long way, since HP doesn't possess a single piece of non-evocative magic.

I suspect this is because Harry P. Isn't a wizard like the Dresden wizards are wizards, and thus soul gazes don't apply to him.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  4. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    While Harry doens't know this every other practitioner from Senior Council members to Wardens to the old guy down the street knows this, so I don't find it hard to believe they would look away.

What Harry P. is doesn't matter. When a Dresden-verse wizard looks into the eyes of something with a soul, they get pulled into a soul-gaze. If this can happen to Normals like Susan and Marcone I'm sure it can happen to Harry P.

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not really the same thing. In HP magical circles are more like specified area of effect spells than the Dresdenverse ones. In the Dresden books circles are a type of barrier that blocks all magic from entering/exiting, which aids in focusing the available magic into a spell. It also blocks spiritual creatures from crossing over the line.

The closest you get to that in HP is the age line, but that is basically an area of effect spell that has a specific outcome for certain stimulae; namely forcing back and bearding an underage wizard that tries to cross.

Otherwise you're spot on.

Aekiel

6. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Harry P. isn't from their universe at all though.

Moreover, HP magic clashes with Dresden magic when it comes to the eyes - Dresden magic results in soul gaze, HP magic uses it for legilimency. Since Harry P. is governed by HP magic, I'd say that, for Harry, the legilimency/occlumency aspect wins out over the soul gaze aspect.

7. Blackvoice

Blackvoice Third Year

Well, it could be interesting both ways:

If soulgazes apply, Harry could traumatize people with his soul by accident.

If not, someone trying, and failling, to soulgaze him can go "Holy fuck, it's a Fae!" and try to blast him.

8. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Either one would be fucking awesome....

9. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

Damn. I forgot I put the whole Peter meeting his eyes line in this chapter. I'll have to edit that to note that he didn't directly look into Harry's eyes. Thanks for catching that guys. There was actually going to be a soul gaze in this chapter. But I cut it. I'm using it for the next chapter instead.

Your on to something with the first one.

10. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well Harry D's soul has never been spoken off but it scares people, Susan even fainted...

Harry P is fucked up, been through some crazy shit, and has slight control issues...

Which soul do you think is more traumatising?

11. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Has it ever been confirmed what people see in harry when they soul gaze him.

Thomas said he saw Harry's mom but I suspect that was more to do with the two of them. I doubt Harry's mom would show up in each soulgaze.

Harry always assume it's something horrible but I figured it was more overwhelming considering the hints we've been given about how powerful he will become and what his destiny is.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  12. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I think the Harry's mom thing was a piece of magic she cast on Thomas and Harry that would last until they either met in a soul gaze or died. I don't think she will pop up anymore unless she did another spell before she died.

13. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

yeah thats what I'm assuming.... it strikes me as weird that Harry never simply asked susan what she saw

14. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I remember something along the lines of, 'Him not looking to hard, himself' on the topic of souls.

15. Skeletaure

High Score:
    I think Harry Potter's soul will definitely be more traumatising, for the simple fact that his soul is messed up.

1. For 17 years of his life a soul fragment of a very powerful and evil dark wizard was leeching off his own soul.

2. Harry's soul isn't whole. Voldemort was Harry's horcrux, just as Harry was Voldemort's (brought about by Voldemort using Harry's blood in his resurrection), which means that, since that bit of Harry's soul is now destroyed, Harry's soul isn't whole any more.

Unless of course Harry felt true remorse for Voldemort's death, which we know is the only thing which will repair the soul.

16. Sol

Sol High Inquisitor

Not necessarily true. The ritual Voldemort used, while effectively a potion, still used Flesh of the Servant, Bone of the Father, and Blood of the Enemy. That seems like a nasty black ritual to me.

Also the Taboo Spell in DH, the Underage wand tracking, etc are examples of long range magic. Particularly, the Taboo spell. That's probably the closest to Thaumaturgy we've seen in HP. Oh and, Harry's scar.

There's also the Fidelius, though I'm unsure where that would lie, since the spell is linked to a person and an object (like a lot of Thaumaturgy spells).

Evocation isn't exactly wandless magic, as without a focus it can be pretty difficult, which is why Dresden carries so much stuff around.

As for comparing the two magic systems, you can't just focus on Dresden's powers and ignore those of the likes of The Gatekeeper and Cowl. They may not be able to make Pineapples dance, but they can reanimate dinosaurs. Inferi Sue anyone?

It's more than just thaumaturgy and evocation vs. wand magic. I doubt HP is strictly going to be facing other wizards.

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Rituals and thaumaturgy are two completely separate branches of magic. Dresden said it himself, anyone can perform a ritual and have it work. Like a drinks machine I believe he compared it to. Put a sacrifice in and get a free curse.

Long range =/= thaumaturgy. The Taboo and the Trace act more or less like the age line I mentioned, only on a much larger scale. Sure, it may be a pretty powerful spell (if we go by the story's HP magic system and not the canon-like one Taure came up with) but it really doesn't act the way Dresden thaumaturgy does.

The Fidelius doesn't really have a counterpart in the Dresdenverse. Even thaumaturgy doesn't really cover it... I really don't know what that could link to, to be honest. The HP world has so many more secrecy and hiding spells than Dresden's world does. They're pretty damn effective too.

Aekiel

18. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

I like the latest chapter. But the whole potters being in the know how be all shit, i'm a little disappointed. It's too early and the each chapters go by really fast. Put some fillers in, get some info on our harry's personal life. Things he would like do other than the main things he needs to do. And seeing as he lives in the world of non magical people, there should be some interactions between Harry and them. It's fun to read useless stuff rather than get down to the main plot so fast.

Shit, at the age of 21, he should be picking up girls left and right, especially since harrsons body looked like it hasn't had pleasure since 15. lol Blue balls anyone.

19. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Not sure if this has been answered already, don't have time to go through the whole thread. Is Harry going to learn Dresden universe magic?

It's probably better to not have him learn it imo. His own brand of magic is already quite powerful and totally different from Dresden magic. If he knew both wouldn't that be pushing him toward super powered?

How would Harry explain to people why his magic is so different? Easiest way is to tell them that he created it himself. No doubt people are going to be answering some tough questions in the near future.

20. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

The closest parallel would be that potion Dresden took to sneak into the police station in Fool moon, Every one just kind of doesn't see you or things around you in the case of the dying prisoners.

But I got to disagree with you on the taboo... that was a lot like how Dresden tracks things, only without a physical object. he needs something to connect himself to his target, and in this case its the act of saying voldemorts name. Though I suppose you can compare it more to summonng a demon, except its more voluntary transport than the forced summoning of a demon.

Last edited: May 15, 2008