1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Awaken Sleeper by Water Mage - T - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Memory King, Apr 15, 2008.

1. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Latest chapter was pure sweetness... I've had my fix for the day but I still want more........

2. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

I hate to bring up an old dead beaten horse, but after reading half the explanations for the differences between the two magic systems, I cringed. Anyways...

Let's sum up the two styles of magic a bit more. Dresden-verse magic pulls magic out of the magic users surroundings and can dish out kiloton to megaton levels of damage. Ergo, Dresdan-verse magic is I CAN HIT YOU WITH A SPELL AS POWERFUL AS A NUCLEAR BOMB.

(Literally for the high end DF wizards, but there aren't too many of those high end wizards around).

HP magic pulls magic out of a wizards/witches magical core (which seems to pull the magic from somewhere else), and allows them to alter the rules of reality within the limits of their imagination and the amount of power they can put into a spell/area (spells that make it so that fire no longer burns, making things weigh less than they should, expanding the dimensions of a room/building, teleporting, ect). HP magic can be summed up as I CONTROL THE LAWS OF REALITY.

(Though even this seems to have limits, mainly in that it takes energy to do this type of stuff, and most HP wizards run out of it before they can do shit even on a tenth of the scales that DF wizards can).

Does this work out better as explaining the differences between the two? One has power (DF), the other has control (HP). One magic source comes from within the wizard (HP), the other magic source comes from outside the wizard (DF). Neither is really 'better' than the other, they just focus on different areas. The even overlap a bit in regards to some areas.

It all depends on /how/ each wizards uses their powers, and whether they put their brains to actual use. HP wizards have less magic to throw around in comparison to DF wizards, but they can bend the laws of reality in ways that would make most DF wizards drop their jaws in awe & terror and wonder what god or gods they pissed off to face something that can do 'that'. DF wizards however are powerhouses and can throw out so much power that some of them would make a lot of HP wizards shit themselves in fear of 'facing' a wizard like that in direct combat.

Anyways, I'm leaving a review for the chapter itself in the review thread. It would be better for all if the conversations regarding things that have been discussed were moved, but since there are still posts of that nature here, I'm leaving one regarding my own thoughts as well as asking for a mod to move the entire bunch of non-author posts into the review thread.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  3. Robo Jesus

This was indeed a very interesting chapter. I very much enjoyed it. Heh, James and Lily thinking that they've 'lost' their son is going to be interesting in regards to how they react to the temper tantrum that just took place. Also, Harry making enemies left right off the bat is hilarious as it means the White Council now has their eyes on Harry, and shit is soon going to fly.

All in all, good chapter, and I'm looking forward to more. :D

4. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

5. Robo Jesus

Hard to be 'reminded' of a thread I've never encountered before. Or perhaps you're claiming that I am abusing my 'psychic powers' for evil instead of good.

6. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

...That reaction was a bit...extreme. The anger was justified but completely jeopardizing Lily and James' safety didn't strike me as in-character for how you have written him so far.

Will edit with a review for the rest of it later. Liked how they turned out to be Venatori Umborum. The rest was a really good chapter. Just Harry's behavior at the end made me go, wtf.

7. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I agree with the above post. Harry's been manipulating people sence the begining. To lose his cool over this is...odd. Besides, he's Harry, not Harrison. There's no reason for him to be this angry.

8. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Not only that, but he may have just alienated his only major source of information on the magical world in the Dresdenverse. His parents were probably the only people he could ask questions to and not be given a weird look for not knowing things like the White Council or the Laws of Magic.

9. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

Not his only source. ;)

10. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

So when can we expect the next update?

I check the story thread a few times every day.

I haven't been this into a story since Denarian Knight/Renegade.

11. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

I wish harry knew some martial arts lol i'm in my martial arts reading mode. Damn, gotta go read some street fighter fic...or maybe Drizzt fics.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You are the reason the Harry Potter fandom has been on a steep decline in quality. Why the hell would he need martial arts in this fic? He has a sword, he has magic and he has Meciel. Where would being able to grapple with someone come in useful in any of the battles he's been in? Hell, half the things he's fought have teeth and claws that wouldn't look out of place next to a chopping board.

Aekiel

13. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Wut? o__O You're mixing your crossovers. :D

14. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Aekiel, you silly fool. First you used to confuse my fic with shezza's and jon's and now Water Mage's?

Someone helps you dress in the morning don't they? ;)

15. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

dude, i was joking when i said that. I did say i was gonna read some forgotten realms or street fighter didn't i? And thats a cheap insult, sheesh, i'm hurt. -cries-

16. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What's insulting is you missed the misplaced comment.

17. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

What is your problem? I know what he is saying yet here you are pounding away at me. I have nothing against you or is it that you want to start something against me?

18. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oops. In my defence, I didn't sleep last night so I really ain't thinking straight. My memory is crappy at the best of times. Now apparently ain't the best of times. But my point still stands; why would he need martial arts? Magic takes care of pretty much all his needs.

Aekiel

19. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The "'twas a joke" defense doesn't defend you when your post sounds completely serious, especially other posts you've made (the wtf males are allowed to be emo too) indicate that you might be that lame.

If you actually meant it as a joke and weren't backtracking, make it obvious.

20. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

I wasn't being serious at all. That 'lol' part and that "martial arts mode" isn't silly enough for you?! Damn, i guess i better be more silly when i make a joke. Still, just watched that movie Fearless and reading a martial arts manga was enough to get me into that mode.

When i said Harry should learn martial arts, it wasn't a serious comment. It was for lulz. And martial arts is nothing more than self defense in the modern times. And it would do squat against his enemies. Unless of course the author made martial arts as a base to improve magic through out his body or some other half assed theory. Still, martial arts is still martial arts that wouldn't stand up to magic with no laws.

Last edited: May 19, 2008