1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Awaken Sleeper by Water Mage - T - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Memory King, Apr 15, 2008.

1. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Capitalise your Is you fucking queer.

2. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

need moar. going through withdrawal here man.

3. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I hate you! I thought it was updated... :(
    Save comments like that for a private message please.

On the other hand, how far along are you with the next chapter?

4. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Dude, he doesn't even update in this Thread.

Or did your post get moved here from the other Thread. If so, sorry.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This last chapter was absolutely kickass: plot progression, action, good characterisation. Not a single thing wrong with it. Looking forward greatly to Harry learning more about the Dresdenverse.

6. Jearom

Jearom Sixth Year

I agree with Taure. This is what plot progression is supposed to look like. Who says you have to have filler to advance your story?

Hrm, will Harry be able to teach Potter magic to Elaine?

7. Skeletaure

High Score:
    It's possible that he wouldn't be able to, since Potter wizards are born, not made, though I guess Elaine could be one without knowing or something...

8. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Two different worlds and two different systems of magic. The obvious answer would be 'no' if they can use each other's magic. Though, magic is magic; maybe Harry and Elaine can do a very small amount of the other's kind of magic.

Oh, and great chapter. I was starting to go through withdraw.

9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Water Mage++ I was starting to think you'd abandoned us. Harry/Elaine interaction was great and the mind-gaze was awesome. Update plox :3

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dresden magic is just a way of channelling magical energy, so I would assume Harry would be able to use it... to some extent. Though it takes a long while to get good at it.

I'm not so sure about Elaine, because we don't know if she has an inner core of magic that is hers and hers alone. She is able to manipulate reality, not override it.

11. Skeletaure

High Score:
    In before people saying "in before Taure".

But yeah, Dresden magic seems to be something that anyone could do if only they know how and have the mental focus and will etc.

Potter magic is something that even if you know how to do it and have the mental focus and will, you still can't do unless you're born magical.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Water Mage has already said that his HP has a magical core, so there was no point referencing your theory.

13. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Awesome job, Mage, my man. The Soulgaze was done pretty well done, and I enjoyed Elaine and Harry interacting, though I dislike her character.

Though, I do have a disinterest in Harry and Lily getting all chummy. I would have liked to see the outcome of that without it. It would have made an extremely interesting story.

14. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

Excellent chapter Water Mage, there isn't really anything to criticize. I liked Harry's reaction to his fight with James and Lily, getting laid definitely relieves most of your tensions. As others have pointed out the plot progression was a strong point in this chapter.

I found Harry's reaction to Dresdenverse magic, particularly well done, especially Harry's failure at shutting down the soulgaze. It just shows that Dresdenverse magic isn't something that Harry can throw away. The Harry/Elaine interaction was pretty solid. I'm really curious as to how you handle the upcoming interaction between these two.

15. No Earthly Clue

No Earthly Clue Third Year DLP Supporter

I loved the chapter. The interaction between Elaine and Harry was spot on. I do wonder if Elaine is sincere in her reason to help Harry out or is she just going to use him, for her means.

16. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

That was actually pretty awesome...

For some reason I was expecting you to go the other way and have James be the rational one and Lily the angry wrathful one. James is usually the hot head in these situations but I can see lily being the one to loose control for your story.

I'm wondering why harry didn't tell the Potters about their other son. It would be realistic in my opinion.

It seem's cliche to keep it a secret just because Aiden seems to know more than he does. If nothing else, that should be setting off more warning lights in Harry's head than it has.

That and the kid is on the brink of annoying in my opinion. His knowing looks, his secretive smiles, his mischievious glints... It all makes me wish harry would just break his teeth.

If nothing else a veiled hint that Aiden is more than he seems to lily would be in order. Plus this way the other potters have someone else to split their focus on.

17. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

@Watermage: this chapter was simply orgasmic and full of win. I came in my pants.

@Taure: I'm pretty sure that magic in the Dresden verse is similar to HP magic in that you can't go far without natural ability. It's said tons of times in DF that Harry has greater natural talent and power than the minor occultists who merely dabble in magic and only have one or two tricks up their sleeves, and indeed most wizards. I do not believe magic in DF is something anyone can pick up and, with enough studying, be comparable to someone like Harry, Elaine, Molly, or the White Council and other powerful mages. You have to have a certain amount of latent ability to go far.

I don't feel like skimming the book for specific passages but I remember this being referenced at least a dozen times over the course of the series so far. So if you have some time on your hands, you can open any DF book and find a few passages that support this.

18. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Yes, it says that Dresden has more natural talent, but what is this but saying that he is more inclined to have a strong mental focus and will?

In Dresden there doesn't seem to be a difference between performing a spell and the result: if you have the necessary will etc. then the spell will work for you, whatever your birth. The fact that some people are born with more talent than others (just as some are born with more intelligence, talent for music etc. than others) does not change the fact that it is mental focus that is the key factor.

In HP you can perform a spell perfectly and nothing at all will happen unless you are born a wizard.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  19. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Kan has moar updates?

20. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

@Taure:

You do have a certain point, the archive is a good example of this. Even though as a child she should have very little magic, her fight scene's do illistrate what kind of power she can fling about should she wish to.

And Lucia mentions that natural talent she had in her old body that made it easier for her to make the swords. She mentions that she can regain the ability but it will take time even though her current body is not naturally gifted in the ability.

But I don't think someone who studies magic for centuries, who was born with little magic, could make themself the merlin if they tried hard enough. Theres very clearly a certain point at which your a potential wizard and a practicioner.