1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Azkaban and Wizarding Justice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Sep 5, 2019.

1. IncoEnt

IncoEnt Squib

Man whether or not Azkaban should be kept as a prison; its origins are simply fuel for the imagination. What the hell was Ekrizdis doing on that island that the least frighting thing they found was the Dementors?

2. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Looking for an indy Harry fic probably

3. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Huh, does purge mean they found a way to kill them? That'd be a cool idea for an Auror Harry fic.

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If not destroy then presumably contain. Perhaps patronuses to shepherd them all down into a charmed basement area which contained their effect?

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Via JKR's backstory (which she probably came up with later?) the dementors were apparently not trying to leave the island?

It looks like they were staying out there and people were only worried they'd leave if they tried to destroy Azkaban?

I get that if they were left alone to breed the problem would have just grown but unless I missed it (might have - read quickly on phone) they weren't trying to get off their island. Wizards just moved in like assholes with them there?

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, looks like it was part budget saving and part "hard on crime" logic that made them start using Azkaban. And then they never stopped out of fear that the dementors might move over to the mainland if they weren't being fed on Azkaban. No sign that there's a logical reason for that.

Though was there not a thing in...HBP? That the dementors were spawning and that was affecting the weather/environment? I wonder how that works if they're restricted to Azkaban. Or had they already fled the prison by that point, I can't recall?

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, it's at the start of HBP - so they'd gone over to Voldemort by that stage. Presumably prior to that, they either didn't breed for whatever reason, at least in such numbers, or there was just a absolutely massive storm or whatever in the middle of the sea and undercover of some heavy duty spells.

8. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Pottermore mentions that things like Dementors, Boggarts and Poltergeist are sustained and generated by Human emotions, so them breeding is likely a result of the bad situation Britain was in at the begining of Half-Blood-Prince, with there being a lot more depressed people now.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I mean, the entire argument (such as it is) is there in the history on Azkaban, isn't it?

- Dementor's can't be killed and cling to Azkaban
    - Prisons that existed before Azkaban were prone to break out attempts
    - From Azkaban, no one ever escaped (until Sirius)
    - Minister Diggory wanted to close the prison, but no one wanted the Dementors in their backyard instead, which is what experts determined would happen now they had gotten a taste of lots of people.

So, "it works" and "it contains the Dementors". Of course, the former and the latter have been revealed to have the rather large security flaw of "a dark wizard can walk in there, free all other dark wizards and convince the Dementors to leave". There's certainly a debate to be had how much of that was Voldemort in particular, given there were other dark wizards before, but still -- the possibility now exists. On the other hand, the dark wizard could just as well infiltrate human wardens, so on balance, I suppose Dementors aren't worse -- just not superior either, anymore.

The entire thing would be a no-brainer if you found a way to get rid of them, but how do you get rid of fear and despair? A world without Dementors is a world without people. I don't think it's ever said what Kingsley did to them. I'm not sure what I would do, either -- perhaps leaving Azkaban with Dementors as a maximum security prison? A place for Bellatrix and Crouch, not so much for Hagrid or Mundungus.